XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my XF for a couple of months but I am already planning my next one, if anyone else is doing the same then post your ideas below. :lol:

I currently have an '09 2.7D V6 Luxury, Liquid / Charcoal with a few extras.

My current, 'realistic dream XF' is a 5.0 V8 Portfolio, Claret / Spice with all the extras! :roll: :lol:

My current, 'unrealistic dream XF' is an XF-R, Botanical / Charcoal.

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
I could be sold, and sold is the operative word, a new Portfolio but I think that some dealer sales people are not up to the job :(
I have in the past month visited three dealerships. One has my name and telephone number, from his records. Another asked and made a note of my car Registration Plate, that was all he asked for. I think he wanted it so that if I go back in to the dealership in the future I will be said to be his customer for commission purposes.
And in the third dealership, there the sales people showed no interest at all in me whilst I was sitting in their XF R, I left without a word being exchanged.

Only yesterday I was discussing with a stock broker the wisdom of holding equity investments in favour of indulging my hearts desire. He indicated approval and a full understanding when I told him that increasingly these days, I read the obituary pages before the sport.

Now if any of these "sales people" have a real interest in selling to me they surely would have all got a contact number and by now, made at least one call to discover my potential as a new car customer.
Had they done so they would have discovered that, at the moment, I quite fancy a Claret Portfolio and they probably would not need to work too hard to get the order but I am damned if I will just offer it on a plate; they will need to sell it :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Couldnt agree more the UK's car dealers seem to be full of very poor salepeople who have little if any product understanding, a lack of empathy with the customers motives and overall they just appear to be down right lazy, when you find a good one they really should be kept hold of.

I really can not understand why they sit in their offices talking to each other rather than following up each and every lead to its full extent. Yes I guess car showrooms do attract their fair share of time wasters but we all have those in every industry.

Many of them remind me of a cross between ill informed white goods sales staff and estate agents that have been given a hefty dose of mis placed snobbery.

Last year I wanted a pool car for my company and had pretty much decided to get an Volvo XC60 and simply wanted to have it for a day to canvas the users opinions, the fuss they made was unbelivable... after 30 mins of forms and phone calls and virtually asking me to garuntee I would purchase, I just walked out and left them to it. Went to BMW they gave us any car we wanted for the day and they had a really easy sale.

On another occasion I was looking at a car in a showroom when a guy walking his dog popped his head in and asked the salesperson I was with for a price list, he was put down and dismissed in a down right rude manner, at which point I suggested to the salesman that if that was his idea of customer service that both I and the man with dog would be better taking our business elsewhere. On talking with man with outside turns out he had just driven in an AMG 63 Estate and was looking for an Audi RS Estate, he had been judged purely on apperance and the dealer lost 2 potential customers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Eventually would love an XFR in white. However, that will be 3 years away at least. With regard to dealers and sales staff it is unbelievable. They need to know their customers. People who wander into showrooms should be nurtured and subject to follow-up calls and visits.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been very impressed with my small dealership. I noticed a huge difference when I changed from the HUGE Audi dealership, to the small Jaguar dealer.

Glasgow Audi:

Taggarts Jaguar:

·
Registered
251 Posts
It seems as though car salesmen are the same everywhere.

I have never been sold anything by a car saleman ever. They never even tried to push any lucrative options on me.

I cannot think where they got that "car salesman" reputation from :?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quite happy with my Jag dealer - with a little arm twisting, he actually gave me a better deal than 'drivethedeal' - and that was for a car that was not in stock.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went in to a Mercedes dealer locally and I just got vibes that they didnt want me there looking, all of the showroom cars were locked with the windows up. Eventually after hanging around a salesman walked past and glared at me, 'Need anything?'

In contrast I drove up to Glasgow Porsche in the XF and walked in and said 'What's your policy on sitting-in cars?', the reply I recieved was, "Help yourself!", he grinned and said to my son, "we have a Carrera GT upstairs". :)

Weird, eh? I wont even consider a Merc now.

Anyway, back to my original topic! :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts