XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had my Jaguar for just a month now and although i have cleaned it and given it a lick of polish i thought it was time for a deep clean .
I won't bore you all with how to wash a car properly let's just say i use the two bucket method with a lamb's wool mitt and get the job done . But it's the wheels that never seem to get the right treatment so here goes .
I start by removing all the wheel's (axle stands ) and giving them a generous spray of Auto Glym Alloy wheel cleaner , let that soak for a minute then using a stiff dish washing brush i give the wheels a good seeing to back and front taking care to get into all the ridges and creases . Then the wheels get a good blast with my pressure washer to remove all the grime and brake pad crud .
I then dry the wheels with an old micro fibre towel (clean one) getting as much moisture of the wheels as possible then i get my Partners hair dryer (don't tell her ) and with the setting on cool i blow any remaining droplets off the wheels .
When I'm convinced they are dry i rub them again with a new micro fibre towel . Then i apply a coat of wax by hand so the wax can get into all the creases , i let the wax set for a few minutes then buff gently with a towel i then apply a coat of Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection . You only need a small amount on a small sponge let that set for about half an hour (the longer you leave it the better the results) then with the microfibre cloth i give them a soft buff and job done Sparkling clean wheels which with the wax and Gloss protection should keep the nasty black dust from sticking to the rims . Wheels back on and the car looks brand new Happy Days .

·
Registered
189 Posts
Fantastic level of dedication, and whilst I wouldn't start to remove the wheels, I do try and clean inside the rim as well as behind the spokes. I also give the wheel arches liners a thorough clean. All that with a separate bucket of shampoo (I try to avoid alloy wheel cleaners) can take a good 45 minutes, and that's before I even start to wash the car.
But really whilst I am guilty of being overly fussy, surely the fist time you use the car the wheels will straight away get dirty. So if your not careful you end up like me, and choosing to try to not use the car regularly so it doesn't need all that cleaning work again!! Or when you get to where you are going give the car another quick clean, something else I have been guilty of!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Now that's dedication!

And I thought I was being fussy cleaning with Bilberry wheel cleaner and then 2 coats of Poor Boys wheel sealant.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Pete , i give the wheels a quick spray with the hose pipe every few days and that is enough until a complete wash is needed . But i only tend to take the wheels off every two months , i did it with my previous car and I'm kind of stuck with the habit :?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Right from factory I pulled all my wheels off and applied 2 coats of G-Techniq C5. I use the G-Techniq W6 wheel cleaner then, this is totally safe on coatings but will remove the iron contamination very easily. On previous cars I've just topped this up yearly (I cover 30-40k a year) and my wheels always look nice with no ground in dust or contaminants and more importantly minimal effort to keep then this way :cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like your thinking , a lot of people can not see the point in doing this but i think a nice clean wheel makes a statement !. :cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
2nd vote for G-Techniq C5

1 - 12 of 12 Posts