XF Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :D

During this hot sun the wife has got in the habit of turning the air con is there any way of turning it of without going back into the touch screen menu and selecting of, I have tried turning it down/pushing the auto button etc but still stays on unless I go into menu and turn of (light blue into dark blue) there must be a quick way of doing this wife told me there is not but...a woman telling a man what next... :eek:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Turning the blower down takes it out of aircon mode.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Evening :)

No just tried that still keeps in air con mode still showes light blue which means still on...any more ideas

·
Registered
225 Posts
Must have changed then as my one takes it out of aircon!

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
JACKAROO said:
Hi :D

During this hot sun the wife has got in the habit of turning the air con is there any way of turning it of without going back into the touch screen menu and selecting of, I have tried turning it down/pushing the auto button etc but still stays on unless I go into menu and turn of (light blue into dark blue) there must be a quick way of doing this wife told me there is not but...a woman telling a man what next... :eek:
Perhaps I have misunderstood the operation of the system but when I press the button on the control panel the air vents close and my wife assures me that the Air Con is then off; this is confirmed if it is done at the same time as when the menu screen displays climate controls.
So what could be easier :?:
I am happy to be told by my wife ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

Yes that is right, I have that but is there any way you can turn air con of without them closing in that way or do you have to go into menu

·
Registered
100 Posts
You might be turning it off, but you may be doing more damage than good (in the long term). Seem to recall seeing a TV programme where drivers turned off their Air Con to save fuel - only to do considerable damage to their system. Better to leave it on I think - any other views?

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Slickfingers said:
You might be turning it off, but you may be doing more damage than good (in the long term). Seem to recall seeing a TV programme where drivers turned off their Air Con to save fuel - only to do considerable damage to their system. Better to leave it on I think - any other views?
Yes, saying that, does remind that I have heard the same advice in the past; not that I have ever turned mine off or indeed wanted to :)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I was told that not using the aircon at least once a week can allow the seals or o-rings to 'dry out' and shrink which can lead to premature degassing and failure of the aircon system and significant repair expense.

Opening windows in warm weather to avoid using the aircon to save fuel is a false economy as the open window causes drag which worsens fuel consumption to a greater extent than the use of the aircon.

The use of aircon in the winter is a good idea as it dehumidifies the air inside the vehicle preventing misting of windows. Warm moist air on the inside against cool glass gives rise to condensation.

Turning off the aircon over the winter can allow bacteria to build up in the system giving rise to smells in the cabin when the aircon is used again.

Given the 4 "old wives" tales above I never turn my aircon off in any car whether it be summer or winter or in between. I've had 3 aircon vehicles for over 4 years each and never had any regassed, not noticed poor fuel economy against published figures, never had misted windows on cold rainy days and there has never been a musty smelly moment. Of course I do turn it off on the SLK when the lid's down!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts