XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting some aftermarket alloys, nothing too huge but a little bigger than the stock rims. My XF is currently running 17" Libras on stock Pirelli tyres, I can't post the exact size right now as I'm in the truck but I'll update once I get home.

Anyway, what size is good for ride quality and handling? Do I need to keep the overall diameter the same, or is that a standard thing across all sizes? I know I need 5x108 pcd, but I don't know what offset our cars use or if it's different for 'lesser' members of the range compared to the larger engined varieties.

Lastly, are there any styles regarded as naff or complete no-no on a Jag? I was after something chromed and possibly dished, like the attached pic of an 18" Team Dynamics Equinox that I've been eyeing up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi truck

I'd have a look at the handbook and just go for the standard Jag size for the wheel size you want. I've got 20" on a 3.0 XFS and find them fine, but for better comfort a 19" might be better, and if I were you I'd give the 18" a miss, for no other reason that if you are going up in size, a jump from 17" to 19" will be more noticable rather than a "tweak" by just getting an 18".

The look of the alloys are a personal thing, I like chrome, but not on Jag wheels, it's just too bling for me and would overwhelm the other chrome touches which I regard as more tastefull - but then, my wife has to pick my clothes or I'd dress like a tramp!

James

·
Banned
143 Posts
2012-04-07 09.50.45.jpg

Hi truck, have you thought of 19" Barsalonas I had them on my old S-type, I would post a picture but this page will not let me upload one!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know I need 5x108 pcd, but I don't know what offset our cars use
Hi Truck - wheel fitment data is available at: http://www.wheel-fitment.com/car/Jaguar/XF Serie (2008 - )/
Wheel hub centre bore of 63.4mm was a requirement for me, although most manufacturers provide adaptor rings, if necessary, to centre the wheel on the hub.

My XF was also fitted with 17in Libra's - my concern was more about their unattractive appearance rather than size. My previous XKR was shod with 20in wheels and while they gave excellent and responsive road holding, I didn't like the hard, choppy ride which became uncomfortable on longer trips. So my choice was between 17in or 18in to retain comfort (and also to lessen possible curb damage to the wheels!)

After looking at options available locally, I settled on 17in "DTM Mexico" wheels which are 5 x 108, offset 45-49mm and centre bore of 63.4mm. I purchased 5 of these to be able to have a full sized spare - as I do not want to find myself with a puncture in the middle of nowhere and having to experiment with tyre sealants and mini-compressors!

DTM.JPG

Modified a set of Jaguar wheel badges from Adamesh and epoxied these to the DTM wheel centres to give a bit of authenticity to the upgrade.

DTM3.JPG

Always a case of personal preference, but I'm well pleased with final result. Added bonus - I sold the unloved Libra's and fully recovered the cost of the new alloys! :D :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Truck,
Funny enough I have just changed my 17” Libras – which look hideouswith the Pirelli zero tyres. The best descriptionthat I saw described them as donuts!
I went for 18” Venus wheels, brought from a well know internet auction site. I too was concerned about the ride quality and handling and therefore decided to playsafe and only go to 18” wheels. So far having had them on the car less than a week, the new wheels behave more or less the same as the 17”. A little bit more road noise I would say (Contintals are fitted) but nothing too bad. Aesthetically so much better.

Regards

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's exactly what I thought!

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, I'll ask the dealer for a test drive of an XF with 19" rims next time I'm that way I think. I'm worried that anything bigger than 18" will ruin the ride comfort, but I also want to get rid of that over-inflated balloon look that Pirellis have on Libras.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Truck - I bought some Wolfrace Luganos 18" to use with my winter tyres. They look very similar to the orinal Velas and I've been very pleased with them. Search the forum for photos.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
.... but I also want to get rid of that over-inflated balloon look that Pirellis have on Libras.
... but I like my balloons, especially on the Libras :(. Actually looking forward to put them back on again and getting rid of the winter wheels (don´t worry, no offence taken ;))

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to change my 17" alloys to something else for looks, but is that right if I get anything bigger 18-20" then it will impact ride comfort, do alloys impact road noise as well? Totally clueless when it comes to changing alloys here haha.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts