XF Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at getting a Jaguar XF and was wondering if anyone could advise me which is the better model 3.0 or Jaguar XF 2.2 (2009-2012 models) and what would be a good price for both models ?

I currently do around 30 miles per day for work and I’ve always wanted an XF.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Nathan, I recently purchased (a year ago already) the 2.2d 200bhp sport version, and whilst it is a lovely car, if i was was to purchase again i would definetely go with the 3.0 V6 in either the luxury or the S (preferably the S for the power).
The 2.2 is fine, however its not very refined. As per many Youtube reviews, many say the V6 is smoother than the 2.2 and this is true. The 2.2 is a bit noisier etc. BUT it all depends on your budget. We were on a quick time frame to purchase moving from a hatch to the estate due to an enlarging faminly, and for our budget at the time we prefered a lower mileage 2.2 (plus the wife liked the colour of the one we saw). Generally if your looking at similar mileage, 3.0 V6's are normally 3-4k more expensive than the 2.2d.

·
Registered
319 Posts
All things being equal, the 3.0 is better than the 2.2 simply because it has more grunt and as Bob mentions, and it's more refined (tho' this difference is much less noticable when the car is driven under normal driving conditions).
The facelifted models came out in 2011, which would be the car I'd go for. With this facelift came the 2.2ltr diesel and changes to the 3.0ltr diesel giving it more power. It's also worth noting that many drivers of the 2.2 report being a little disapointed with the mpg. The best I used to average on urban driving was 37, which is less than what I get from my 3.0ltr XJ.
As you're clearly happy to consider a 2.2ltr (I loved mine) my advice would be to stick to a budget and find the latest XF you can with the best service history and condition. If that car turns out to be a 3.0ltr, great, but don't discount a 2.2ltr, certainly not without gaving driven one.
Another bit of advice is to save a little money each month to cover maintainance cost, all car go wrong and Jags are no exception.
Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Id steer clear.....Ive had my used 70k mile 3.0 v6d portfolio s for just 5 weeks and it sounds as if the crankshaft has snapped. a common and costly problem, . I wish i had known about 6 weeks ago. Im absolutely gutted

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
3.0 v6 for sure for the all reasons mentioned above. but get facelift model, had less issues than 2008-2011

check autotrader for the prices, it's good indicator i would say.

breaking down...mine was faultless till it hit 9 years, started to have some gremlins:
  • one of the door latches
  • restricted performance, which can be something from small thing to something bigger - never got it done as let it go before doing all that

other than that usual wear and tear (servicing, tires, brakes).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’d go for the 3.0 s if you can. I’ve got the 2.2 and it’s unimpressive. The gearbox is horrid and the engine sounds like a transit van.
It does shift if I want it to but sounds like it’s about to break. Annoyingly I got it to improve my fuel economy but mpg is poor.
I’ve had it checked out twice and no faults found. I’m planning to change it for a 3.0v6. A shame because it’s a lovely colour combo and high spec Sportbrake.
Having said all that, I guess it depends what you’re used to..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m looking at getting a Jaguar XF and was wondering if anyone could advise me which is the better model 3.0 or Jaguar XF 2.2 (2009-2012 models) and what would be a good price for both models ?

I currently do around 30 miles per day for work and I’ve always wanted an XF.
I have the 2013 XF 3.0 AWD. It is a pleasure to drive and it is exciting when the supercharger kicks in at any current speed. In fact, it can get down right scary if you (almost) let it get away from you. It is also a "luxury sport sedan" (or saloon if you are across the pond). It is getting on eight years old and the smell of the leather still greets me every time I open the door. It still gets looks and compliments because it has ageless styling and appeal. The looks have been copied by many but it cannot be matched.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts