XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 days before trading in my immaculate 2.7D PL for a 3.0D PL some ass has scratched the driver's side backdoor. It is about 8 inches long and about bike or shopping trolley high and deep enough to feel with my nail. Tried a wee wax but still obvious. From anyones experience how will the dealer deal with this, should I try to get it done before the trade?? What is it going to cost??? Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: SCRATCHES

If you call out one of the paint repair companies about £75 will take care of.

Mrs Q suffered a scratch to a Met Silver Saab a few years ago and we had it repaired as above. Even with silvers being such a difficult colour to match we couldn't see the repair.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Daughter called out "Chips Away" for a quote to fix a 2.5 inch scratch on her mini cooper last week, not very deep they said £138 I said goodbye I will fix it myself.

gary

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts

Qhunter said:
If you call out one of the paint repair companies about £75 will take care of.

Mrs Q suffered a scratch to a Met Silver Saab a few years ago and we had it repaired as above. Even with silvers being such a difficult colour to match we couldn't see the repair.

Or the German equivalent, both service and currency :lol:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

garyxf said:
Daughter called out "Chips Away" for a quote to fix a 2.5 inch scratch on her mini cooper last week, not very deep they said £138 I said goodbye I will fix it myself.

gary
They would charge much more to drive to Germany! :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks everyone,

Not as bad as I thought but I have to change it in UK so time is the pressure. If the trade in says £100 then so be it. My worry was the sad face and an astronomical cost when they have you by the b***s. I can now state a figure, Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Just back from Peterborough after changing my 2.7 Pearl grey for a 3.0 Botanical green. I got the scratch on the door sorted professionally in Germany €75 and the exchange went thru no problems. I must say that the new 3.0 d engine is sublime and I can only imagine how good the S must be. I have certainly noticed a difference in the drive. The car seems quieter maybe due to the Accustic windscreen but there is a nice exhaust rumble about 15 -1800 revs which sounds well. Still out on the green although I washed her today to get rid of the bugs and in the sun she looked stunning. Big mistake was the barley interior as I didn't realise the carpets were so light. My fault (rose coloured glasses) Anyone know where I can get truffle mats?? Still, very happy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cost to get surface scratch fixed?

Hi all, anyone able to advise how I'd best get a surface mark/scratch sorted out? My parents' friendly neighbourhood postie managed to scrape his post bag all along one of my doors yesterday and has left a long mark that is not quite a scratch, but won't come out.

The mark is about 14 inches long, with an additional small mark just beside it, and about 5mm wide.

The paint is Indigo Blue metallic.

OOOOhhhhh I am annoyed!

Any suggestions?

Tony

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
If you could prove it was the postie, then a call to the manager of his sorting office is in order. They should have cover for this sort of damage caused by their employees.

If nothing else he might think twice about dragging his bag along the side of a 40k car!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can't prove it, but have already made the call, logged a complaint and claim number, and am awaiting their call back. I doubt he'll own up to it, but I'm 100% sure it was him, due to timings and other factors.

The Post office have asked me to get two quotes, hence this post - I'm taking the car to the dealers on Saturday for them to have a look, but I suspect they'll not be too good at this sort of thing, so i want a view from a Detailer too.

Tony

·
Registered
319 Posts
A few months ago i left my car in a secure park close to heathrow ...the kind where they take & return you in a mini bus.
by a stroke of luck on return, my flight arrived a couple of hours late & it was just getting light when i collected my car.
I first noticed a scratch on the rear panel then after a closer inspection found it to be scratched on every panel down one side. i fear if i had arrived on time i would not of seen the damage until the following day or later.
on return home i got an estimate from an official dealer of over £1K.
I cannot fault the company involved. after seeing photographs & a report from their staff they supplied me with a cheque to cover the cost.
A couple of days prior to booking it in to said dealer, a local coach works Co. was highly recommended to me & managed to remove the total damage by buffing for less that £200.....
there is a god.

G

·
0 Posts
TonyN, looking at the last picture I would say there is a good chance the scratch will polish out. I would be inclined to take it to a detailer & ask for their opinion as you may be able to get the scratch removed & the whole car polished for a lot less than the cost of painting the door.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Gemset, useful confirmation. That was what I was thinking too. Any recommended detailers? I live in the North part of Surrey, just inside the M25

G

·
0 Posts
Just another thought TonyN, for £200 you could buy a Megs DA polisher & do it yourself. If you fancy a go, there are plenty of us that can help you with what to buy & where from.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I suffered a nasty scratch to my rear bumper earlier this year after a careless passenger dragged their suitcase out of the boot. It caused a deep scratch with raised edges. I had already taken the precaution of taking out a SMART repair policy and the insurance company sent along a chap from Shine He managed to polish the scratch out in about 30 minutes, absolutely immaculate. Might be worth a call....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Had a door on mine scratched last week, deep enough to feel with a fingernail. A Chips Away guy came to give me a quote, asked if he could just try something, and 15 minutes later the scratches (3 of them, 6 inches long) had gone. Same colour, Indigo, and with the right kit and skill they polished out. Only cost a few quid and I was really pleased.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks to all for the latest responses. Not sure i want to try myself, but I'll certainly give Shine and Chips Away a call.

Surprise surprise, not heard anything back from the Post Office - so I'll have to call them tomorrow.

I did take it to the local Jag dealer at the weekend - and had the usual problems. Called on Thursday and said I couldn't make it that day, Friday was a Bank Holiday, so the lady said "no problem, just come in any time on Saturday morning" - which I did. Only to be told that there's no-one in from the bodyshop on Saturdays, everyone knows that ! Well, everyone except me and the lady I spoke to on Thursday that is!

After a bit of a moan the guy found someone and he had a look, then had a go with some "compound". After about 5 minutes it looked better, but not gone. I'm now booked in for next Wednesday, and they're going to look at my suspension too.

Why is that these garages can never communicate properly with their customers, and why are their parking and holding areas so tight? One guy had to move three cars to get at the one they wanted to work on, and I only barely got in and out.

Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Advice for repairing scratches

Someone has scratched my car, fairly deep, about 10cms long on top of driver door panel, looks like its through to primer and can be felt with a finger nail.

I've never bothered repairing chips and scratches before, it didn't seem worth it on previous cars. I've done some research on the options but still need some advice, as I understand the options are:

Detailer - expensive
ChipsAway - cheap
Repair kit (ChipEx, Paints4u, etc) - cheap but time consuming and quality/tallent questionable
Dealership bodyshop repair - probably expensive but may be necessary for paintwork warranty
Respray - expensive and probably not necessary
SMART insurance - to avoid this sort of problem in the future

Can anyone offer some advice on best approach, the costs I should expect and quality of the repair I should expect.

Will this affect the paintwork guarantee and should I use a Jaguar dealership for the repair to ensure the manufacturers warranty is still valid?

Has anyone got experience using the repair kits on scratches, and what sort of results did you get?

Do ChipsAway just use the same repair kits (but with some talent)?

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Someone has scratched my car, fairly deep, about 10cms long on top of driver door panel, looks like its through to primer and can be felt with a finger nail.

I've never bothered repairing chips and scratches before, it didn't seem worth it on previous cars. I've done some research on the options but still need some advice, as I understand the options are:

Detailer - expensive
ChipsAway - cheap
Repair kit (ChipEx, Paints4u, etc) - cheap but time consuming and quality/tallent questionable
Dealership bodyshop repair - probably expensive but may be necessary for paintwork warranty
Respray - expensive and probably not necessary
SMART insurance - to avoid this sort of problem in the future

Can anyone offer some advice on best approach, the costs I should expect and quality of the repair I should expect.

Will this affect the paintwork guarantee and should I use a Jaguar dealership for the repair to ensure the manufacturers warranty is still valid?

Has anyone got experience using the repair kits on scratches, and what sort of results did you get?

Do ChipsAway just use the same repair kits (but with some talent)?
I have just paid £200 to have a similar scratched removed. My local vehicle body repairer did the work. As for warranty concerns I can only say that the business that undertook the work often carry out remedial work on new cars prior to handover for many local car retailers, so you decide :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
See my post above about Shine, I think they would be perfect for what you need and they were the people sent along by my SMART repair policy so they must be reasonably good. I would guess that it might cost about £100.

I recently purchased a kit from Chipex which initially gave very poor results such that I complained to them (rather than being critical in a forum). Once their Technical Director had phoned me and discussed my issues I am now getting much better results by using a different technique to that recommended and am pretty happy but I suspect it might not be as effective on a scratch as opposed to a chip.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts