XF Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a new member and will pick up my 58 plate 2.7d at the end of this month.

My dealer has told me (after agreeing a price for the car and paying a deposit) that I would have to pay an admin fee (approx £139) and £30 for deisel in the car.

As an ex BMW driver (12 years) I was surprised as I have never been charged for any of these things before.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal practice for Jaguar dealers?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't remember paying an admin fee unless it's related to finance (which I didn't have), but certainly would never pay for a tank full of the black stuff - that's the very least your dealer should do when you've spent so much with them.

What will they do next, charge you for coffee :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mikee Mike :)
First things first; great that you have chosen an XF, I am sure that you will be delighted with it.
Now, as for your dealer and his request that you pay an additional amount; that is something else. :(
I can only say the that it is an odd way to conduct business because I would have expected to have been provided with a detailed statement of costs or sales invoice by now and the terms and conditions should be set out clearly.
If you are being asked to pay diesel, well words fail me :!:
I would certainly say,I will get my own diesel thank you, but as for the other charges; I do not know what to say :?
It must be in the sales invoice, contract or whatever; I have never experienced anything quite like that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
definitely question it. i would at least argue that the car should have a full tank of fuel!

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
t2dav said:
definitely question it. i would at least argue that the car should have a full tank of fuel!
I don't think that you can argue that it should have a full tank of fuel; it isn't the usual practice with a used vehicle sale.
Certainly it is the case with a new car.
Also it irritates me that the cost of the fuel is based on the full retail price rather than the price prevailing at a local supermarket for example :(

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Well you could look at this in two ways, argue the point about paying for the fuel and tell them to whistle for the £30 or, £30 for a full tank of fuel, 60ltrs at 50p a litre sounds like a bargain! Just would have been nice to be given the option rather than the bill!
As for the admin fee......Tsk, what can we say? They should have disclosed anything still owing and it's very poor of them just to expect you to pay. If I were you I would kick up such a stink in the dealership, say how dissapointed you are and ask if when you bring the car in for service, will they will add extras for that too? Make sure they know in no uncertain terms that you are unhappy and they have to make it up to you to retain your custom, then you throw in the idea of a goodwill discount on your next service! It's very easy for them to chuck in a discount for their own services and 9 times out of ten, if it means an easy life they will offer one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was only given £35 of diesel when I picked up my car (not a full tank :cry: ) They said normally only put £30 in so not sure why I qualified for the extra fiver! Certainly didn't pay for it though and can't quite believe you are being asked too. Shoddy service from your dealer and definitely kick up on this one.

Good luck

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Mikee Mike has not bought an unregistered 09 car and waiting for it to be delivered from the factory; it is a used vehicle and I am surprised that fuel is being sold with the car.

·
Registered
281 Posts
pekem said:
Mikee Mike has not bought an unregistered 09 car and waiting for it to be delivered from the factory; it is a used vehicle and I am surprised that fuel is being sold with the car.
I realise that and perhaps didn't make that clear in my post. However still don't think he should be paying for fuel, after all it's a main dealer he's dealing with and not Arfur Daily :!:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I assume you have a vehicle order / sales order form? If so then unless the additional charges are listed on that form then you only have to pay the amount on the form. they can't change the contract after you've agreed the price without your agreement.

If there is no mention of the additional charges then phone them up and tell them they're in breach of contract, that you want your deposit back and that the contract is now null and void. It won't come to that of course but they don't know you won't carry it through.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your comments - as a new member I already feel part of the family as I wasn't expecting so many prompt replies!

The good news for me is that my dealer emailed me back (after I gave the a mouthful!) to say that there had been a communication mix up between the Sales Manager and the General Manager with whom I had agreed the deal. I now only have to pay the agreed balance, no admin fee & no deisel charge. Fab :D

Thanks again to all.

Mike

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Mikee Mike

Result :D :D :D

Keep on posting; brother :lol:

P.S. Anyone know what £30 of diesel looks like on the fuel guage :?:
Just about half full perhaps :? Just a thought ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wonder how many people they've fleeced with that scam?

Bloody car dealers, you've got to be so on your toes with them.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that they backed down, well done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts