XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my "new" 2010 S 3.0D has a perculiar problem with the ACC. When set it will make adjustments for any vehicles in the nearside lane, rather than directly in front. It is as if the microwave radar beam is pointing to the left rather than straight ahead. Obviously this renders it unworkable, as the car will not pass another on the dual carriageway without manual override of the automatic braking by putting my foot on the accelerator.

I wondered if anyone has any insight or experience of this problem or any advice before I enter the dealer network experience on Monday, when its booked in for its 2nd service.

This is the only minor inconvenience in an otherwise superb car.

Many thanks in anticpation.

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Andy,

Very odd, mine has always behaved itself although it does bug me occationally as starts slowing the car slightly quite far in advance which forces you to pull out very early. But that just the way it works - I really like it though.

Cheers
Steven

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, found the solution from my TPOIx workshop manual. I have narrowed it down to the fact that the radar sensor must have been moved at some point and is now out of horizontal alignment (vertical alignment is performed using a special tool to ensure a 90 degree angle) . There is a detailed description of the reset procedure which needs the dealer's diagnostic tool (booked in for Monday) to set the control module up for a reset during a drive above 30 mph as follows:

Configure the ACC module using the diagnostic tool.
  • This procedure is required if:
  • A new ACC radar and, or ACC module are installed.
  • The ACC radar needed to be removed or is misaligned in its position due to another repair operation.
    • From the diagnostic tool menu, select: Service Alignment Mode.
    • The follow indicator will now be flashing, this indicates that the vehicle is in "service alignment" and now requires driving.
    • The vehicle speed must be above 30mph (48 kph).
    • Choose a road with plenty of stationary objects, like street lights, road signs, or barriers. Use an inside or outside lane.
    • Following vehicles too closely will obscure the stationary targets from the radar, a time gap of 2 seconds is recommended.
    • A straight road will produce a quicker and better result, although the process will still operate on a curved road.
    • The time that the ACC module takes to align will vary, depending on the route, speed, number of targets, and individual module.
    • When the flashing follow indicator light extinguishes, the ACC system is now functional, and a required vehicle speed can now be set by the driver and the ACC system will operate as normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So, back from Stratstones in Edinburgh with a fully functioning ACC. Theyran the calibration programme and confirmed it was out of alignment, perhaps becausethe plastic inspection cover was missing from the grill, after that it is nowworking perfectly and I used it on the run home. The only challenge now is totry and find a new inspection cover as the part appears to only come completewith the whole grille which I don’t need. Anyone know if this is indeed thecase or if there is a part number for this part?

Had a great experience with the dealer, photos taken of the recently peelingwindscreen to apply for a warranty replacement and notification of theoutstanding Customer Satisfaction upgrade to be completed probably when the cargoes back for the new windscreen. They couldn't have been more helpful and Ieven got a printout of the car's full list of accessories to confirm what hasbeen installed when new, very happy indeed!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I find the ACC invaluable - anything to take the effort out of driving!
I always set the 'gap' at maximum in the hope to reduce risk of a dreaded stone chip. To date in about 2,800 miles I have a couple of small chips on the bonnet, although at least Claret red touches in well making them pretty much invisible.
What always annoys me is when you leave a safe gap from the car in front other drivers always seem to cut in front of you!!!
Regards
Keith

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I find the ACC invaluable - anything to take the effort out of driving!
Keith

I totally agree, now mine is working perfectly, it is everything I had hopedfor. I set my gap at medium and use the throttle to override the ACC to make upfor the system's slow response to the gap increasing beyond that.

A couple of questions though, does anyone know if the car's brake lights arelit up when the ACC is using the brakes to adjust the gap, in some situationsthis might be irritating for drivers behind if they are. And secondly, hasanyone compared fuel economy for identical journeys with the ACC on and off. Intheory I would assume that the ACC may be increasing fuel economy, because ofthe extra braking that it induces, but maybe that is offset by the lighterthrottle application. I will try to conduct a test of my journey to work to seeif there is a difference.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think fuel economy will be dependent on the speed set. On a recent European trip to the Italian lakes - some 1,600 miles - I used the ACC extensively and crusinig at around the legal limit produced an overall average of 35 mpg with a high of a little over 37 mpg.
At lower speeds I think you will see a benefit over driving without.

Regards
Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts