XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post and am about to change from a 535d and place an order for the new 3.0DS in Portfolio trim, with the only additions being The Parking Aid Pack and swapping the wheels for the 20 inch Sentas.

Still deciding on exterior colour, could be either Pearl, Lunar or Vapour grey, but whichever colour I choose the interior will be Ivory but not sure yet on the wood.

Any thoughts on the above guys, or if I've missed something obvious from my choice then please say so! Also any links to the various colour options would be good so I can try and make a decision.

Mrs XFAndy is getting fed up with me spending each evening pouring over the brochures!!

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Re: About to take the plunge!

Welcome to the forum XFAndy :)
I am sure that lots of members will be happy to express a view about your excellent model choice and no doubt give you their view of the ideal specification.
Their words will be wise, except perhaps on the subject of colour :eek:
I would say; join me, one other member and Jaguar and choose Botanical Green :)
Read about the latest colour trends here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=638

·
Registered
306 Posts

Well it is all about personal opinions so have what you want and not what any of us say.

I have the ivory interior and love it - I chose the rich oak with it and have not been disappointed. Re exterior colours, well I've got Radiance Red and again I think it gives the car some presence - greys and silvers do nothing for me, they just look like undercoat, sorry. Generally I prefer darker colours.

As for extras, well I think the consensus on this website is that the Parking Aid is well worth it. After that it depends how much you want to spend and what takes your fancy. I love the sunblind and the B & W system (the DAB is wonderful). I also like a sunroof but that is just me.

Whatever you choose, I think the XF is a wonderful car that gives you a smile just when you see it. Enjoy.

·
Registered
294 Posts

You can of course have DAB (which I also love) without the B&W.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts

Steamdreamer said:
Is that right :?:
When I bought mine last March the dealer gave me the B&W because the DAB was an integral part. I only wanted the DAB but of course finished up with both :lol:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for replies. My understanding is that the DAB and iPod connection are all part of the B&W system but please correct me if wrong. I've seen a few posts less than complimentary about the front seats, any thoughts?

·
Registered
294 Posts

pekem said:
Steamdreamer said:
Is that right :?:
When I bought mine last March the dealer gave me the B&W because the DAB was an integral part. I only wanted the DAB but of course finished up with both :lol:

I think it must be, because that's what I got! It was in the price list at £250.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts

XFAndy said:
Thanks for replies. My understanding is that the DAB and iPod connection are all part of the B&W system but please correct me if wrong. I've seen a few posts less than complimentary about the front seats, any thoughts?
Have you tried the seats :?: It seems to me that the starting point is there. As others have remarked, the comfort or ortherwise of the seats, which I find excellent along with 1000's of other owners, is very much a personal thing. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Have a test drive lined up in a 2.7d PL tomorrow so will have a better idea of the seats then. Am very excited and then the long wait starts!!

·
Registered
6 Posts

I would be very wary of the larger wheels unless you are sure to be driving mostly on very smooth roads/motorway. In town, with potholes and speed bumps, the larger wheels mean less adsorption via the tyres, and you feel every imperfection.

I have seen pictures of pearl grey in the sun where they have a purple tinge. Much like the Graphite grey of the BMW. I would go for the Lunar grey. Vapour 'grey' is pale brown. Otherwise, sounds a good choice - but ask for a roofbox!

·
Registered
306 Posts

Whilst I appreciate that the size of wheels will affect the ride please do not forget that the suspension is a class act to start with. I have the 19" alloys and am happy with them, and was warned that the 20" were a little less forgiving. That said I drove a demonstrator on 20" wheels and it wasn't that bad. It all depends on your judgement and what you want.

You might want to read what Honest John, an experienced car dealer who writes for The Telegraph and has his own website, wrote about his experience in the XF, which was on 19" alloys. I should add that he has constantly written about alloys being too large and ruining the ride on many cars, but that was not his opinion on the XF.

All in all I think the general consensus is that Jaguar have produced a car with an top notch chassis and suspension - you are not going far wrong with whatever you choose.

Enjoy :lol:

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts

XFAndy said:
Have a test drive lined up in a 2.7d PL tomorrow so will have a better idea of the seats then. Am very excited and then the long wait starts!!
So how did it go :?: Where did you take it, motorway, country lanes, farm tracks -probably not - in and around a town :?: . More important than all; how were the seats. :?:

·
Registered
294 Posts

XFAndy said:
I thought the 2.7 was being phased out?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Had the car for approx an hour and drove it on all roads from dual carriageway to country roads. These are my initial thoughts on the car:-

Engine - very refined and quiet, clearly not as quick and responsive as the 535d but that will be taken care of with the new 3.0D. Thoroughly enjoyed playing with the paddles and impressed with how smooth and quick the change was.

Ride - a little firm (was riding on 19" rims) but no more than I'm used to. TBH I prefer a firmer ride anyway so no problem, and I'm sure the 20" sentas wont be a problem. The seats were ok, but nothing spectacular when it comes to support around corners etc. Certainly not a deal breaker for me though.

Interior - all I can see about this is WOW. The best interior in that class of car I've ever been in and a lovely place to spend time. Great touches and attention to detail. Would love to see it in the dark to get the full effect of the blue lighting. Really liked the touchscreen (much easier to use than i-drive), the electronic handbrake, and the keyless entry. How cool is it when the boot lid automatically pops open again if you try and lock your keys in there by mistake! One minor point - I found the auto windscreen wipers a bit keen and am surprised on a car of this class that there's no adjustment for the sensitivity of them.

All in all a great package, and now just seeing what sort of deal they can come up with. I intend to Contract Hire the car through my business and have already had a quote from one broker offering a substantial discount. My local dealer is now juggling figures - I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Sensitivity can be adjusted. P.88 of the owners manual.

Glad you had a great drive.

P

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts

Pleased to read that you were impressed and that you are proceeding with a deal.
Don't ask me to quote chapter and verse from the manual but I seem to remember that the keyless entry etc., is cooler than you think :!: It remembers, if you leave them in the boot and, I think, pops open again or some such thing. Either way, and I am sure someone will be along to set out the detail, you will not be stranded. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts

XFAndy,

Don't worry about the seats--they will be fine.

I have just changed from a 530 sport and love my xf to bits

The XF seats don't have the "sportiness" look of the bmw seats but they are very comfy and i can't imagine that you would be disappointed

Neither will you be disappointed with the car- i was changing my 530i sport for a 535d sport until i tried the XF 2.7 -it goes really well and the drive is quality, in the end i got a 4.2 V8 (i sold my Aprilia to fund the difference(still got my kawasaki Z1000's though he he)).

Great service from my Jag dealer too-Minster Preston.

Enjoy waiting for your new Jag--it will be well worth the wait.

Reecy

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks for replies. Reassuring to hear from Reecy, another BMW convert, that he is so pleased with his xf. I'm as confident as I can be that the new 3.0DS will be a match for the 535d, a car which I have to say has been brilliant to drive, if not as 'special' as the gorgeous xf

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts

Is it your intention to go with the 2.7 or are you negotiating around the 3.00 :?:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Definately the 3.0 litre DS Portfolio. Not many extras to add to this other than the Parking Pack (can't believe it's not already included in a car of this value) and swapping the wheels from the Selena to Sentas

1 - 20 of 40 Posts