XF Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a very worthwhile tip if you want to dry your car quickly after washing it and maintain that 'just waxed' look. This tip gets rid of any water spots on your paintwork and will leave your car with a deep, mirror-like, wet look.

Wash your car as normal using a good shampoo (I prefer Duragloss 901). Use a good quality wash mitt rather than sponge if possible. Rinse off the shampoo with clean water.

Now, here's the trick: get yourself a spray bottle of a quick detailer (I use Meguair's Last Touch Detailer - you can even dilute it 50:50 so it lasts longer). Whilst the car is still wet, spray some quick detailer onto the paintwork and dry to a shine using a large microfibre cloth (I never use a chamois leather cloth as it tends strips the paintwork of any waxes or polishes that you've applied). Do a small section at a time and soon the MF cloth will become waterlogged. Just wring it of excess water and continue to dry the car.

You will find that the car dries a lot quicker and the paintwork is left free of water spots and provides and incredible deep, lustre to your paintwork. This isn't a substitute for waxing your car once in a while but is for your regular weekly washes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does those "Flash Auto Dry" things selling in the supermarket works? Or if the water is coming out from the water softner system, will it still leave the water mark? (I think probably similar concept as we add the rising agent and salt into the dish washer.)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I use the Flash thingy on my Motorbike and must admit, I'm impressed at how well it does. Never used it on a car though so couldnt say for sure, I cant see why it wouldnt though as the watermarks are from the impurities in the water so if its been de-ionised/filtered then it shouldnt leave any residue.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Flash Auto Dry system has been discontinued now. It's received mixed responses on various detailing forums. However, the filtered water that the rinsing part of it produces is probably a good thing as water spots are created by the calcium and other deposits in tap water. Some people use the water filters to rinse the shampoo and leave it at that (i.e. let the car dry naturally).

I find that using a quick detailing spray during microfibre towel drying produces a very good finish. Plus you get the additional protection from the quick detailer. I can usually dry the whole car in about 10 minutes using this method as the quick detailer forces water off the paintwork.

If your paintwork feels like plastic to the touch then you have a good protective finish.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Roma

Will I damage the paintwork over time if I go to one of those hand cash places once a week?

Many thanks

Daniel

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wouldn't use one of the hand wash places although I gues they are better than the petrol station auto car washes
No substitute for doing it yourself!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
What about going to a hand car wash once a week and doing it myself occasionally - with a good quality wax etc?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts