XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the sat nav in the XF isnt great and Jaguar have admitted this and issued an update which didnt solve all the issues BUT i surprised myself today as I did something by accident that actually revealed a useful feature to me (you may already know this but i will pass it on anyway)

I was trying to input a destination but instead of pressing that i pressed POI by mistake and then typed in the name of the city. I then realised what i had done and thought, wonder what it will do? well.....

if you are ever in one of those situations where you just want to get somewhere and not a specific destination, if you go in to programme a POI and type in the name of the town or city where you want to go the nav will pinpoint a central location in that town or city and navigate you to that. Very useful if you are not quite sure of a road name etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just ordered my new car 2 hours ago and now I find there are sat nav problems. can anyone tell me what the problems are. It will save me going into worry mode until delivery in december

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
ferrari348 said:
Just ordered my new car 2 hours ago and now I find there are sat nav problems. can anyone tell me what the problems are. It will save me going into worry mode until delivery in december
Don't worry about it ferrari348 :)
I am perfectly certain that the vast majority of owners are more than satisfied with the general performance of the Sat Nav.
It has been upgraded from the early version and is no longer the subject of complaint.
Of course, there maybe two or three posters who will come along and want to tell you that a particular journey they make everyday is at variance with their logic, but generally it will perform superbly well :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have had my 3.0DS for 6 months now and I am still learning.

Firstly, overall, in my view, the SatNav is a very good and sensitive system that works well.

It has a number of quirks which need a little common sense applied by the happy owner.

It has extensive and detailed coverage, but like all OE systems it seems to try to be over helpful particularly with the TMC switched on.

Example, on the way from Kent to Newcastle initially it liked the idea of M25, M11, A14 but where the M11 joined the A14 it felt that all north from the M25 had been a complete mistake and so it tried to send me back to the M25 to take the M1. After muttering a few encouraging expletives and continuing on the A14 it accepted who was boss and picked up the route and continued to the A1 and to Newcastle.

Particularly in France, the TMC warns of Slow Traffic Ahead and offers to reroute, I always decline its kind offer unless there is visual confirmation on the screen of a hold up, (coloured arrows at the affected spot) most of the time there is no visual confirmation and so I continue and find no sign of a hold up when I get to the indicated spot. You need to cancel it's wish to re-route as it defaults to a new route if you fail to cancel before the message on screen goes. (I have my own theory as to TMC in France, but too boring to expound here, suffice to say Gallic logic is part of it).

It is easy when writing something like the above to give an impression that it is more hindrance than help, this is definitely not the case. For instance the POI system is great for town centres, airports etc. In cities it seems to pick good routes and take you to the correct door.

It is far more sophisticated and reliable than the OE system we have in my wife's Honda CRV.

You have bought a great car with a good Sat/Nav system, just be aware that like all Sat/Navs, it is not the complete answer without human common sense.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been using the SAT Nav system for the last 18 months, and in general, it is very good. The TMC function can sometimes be a right pain though.

Example:

Last week I was travelling from Amsterdam airport and there was total gridlock and I mean gridlock. The system asked me if I wanted to re-route, I did, and it took me through villages and roads that were not wide enough for two cars and up through farm roads and by the canals (very scenic) and eventually routed me on to another motorway. Took me an extra 90 mins on the journey because I hit another gridlock motorway at Utrecht.

I can only say, I was very impressed. I bet no one could have navigated the route I took - I mean rural VERY rural. So in essence, the system is very good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts