XF Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
read your thread on boot opening,i removed the small plug and drilled a 0. 25mm hole through the centre of the plug and screwed in a chrome mirror cap head, (you know the ones you put up mirrors with) works perfect every time so far boot opens fully such a simple 10min job. many thanks.
Hi john d, do you mean a 2.5mm hole? I don't think they do a drill that is a quarter of a millimetre. Phil

·
Registered
102 Posts
sorry phil,decimal points have never been a favorite of mine i'm a feet and inches man myself
but you are right it's 2.5MM. SORRY.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have just done this mod with an alternative plug thats like the original but longer so I fitted two washers under it, and it clicked straight in. Took 30 seconds and works perfect now and all in black metal etc so looks original!

·
Registered
164 Posts
+1 for the mirror cover fix. The 2.5mm hole is pretty snug fit for the mirror cap but it does exactly what it says on the tin & pops up every time. Nice simple mod too

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a new 64 plate XF, and I'm experiencing the sluggish boot problem (if the boot hasn't been opened for a few days it doesn't open more than a centimeter. As it' (given how simple the fix appears to be)?s under warranty, I'm loathed to start applying my own fix. Can anyone advise if Jaguar have every commented on this (CRC or dealer) from a warranty perspective, as after so many years its difficult to understand why Jaguar have not issued an official remedy

·
Administrator
22,567 Posts
I have a new 64 plate XF, and I'm experiencing the sluggish boot problem (if the boot hasn't been opened for a few days it doesn't open more than a centimeter. As it' (given how simple the fix appears to be)?s under warranty, I'm loathed to start applying my own fix. Can anyone advise if Jaguar have every commented on this (CRC or dealer) from a warranty perspective, as after so many years its difficult to understand why Jaguar have not issued an official remedy
I would run the car back to the dealer in order to allow them to check it. We have not really had an issue such as you describe reported for a long time, even then I think the issues experienced were less severe than yours. Get the dealer to pop a few boots on the forecourt to provide a comparison. It may be the gas strut has leaked on yours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would run the car back to the dealer in order to allow them to check it. We have not really had an issue such as you describe reported for a long time, even then I think the issues experienced were less severe than yours. Get the dealer to pop a few boots on the forecourt to provide a comparison. It may be the gas strut has leaked on yours.
After taking the car in to the dealer for a check I was advised that the boot is not supposed to open fully but only open a couple of centimetres- this was said before they even looked at it as is supposedly a common misconception, as on hot days the struts can be more efficient and open the boot fully.
So it looks like I am going to have to do the mod!

·
Administrator
22,567 Posts
After taking the car in to the dealer for a check I was advised that the boot is not supposed to open fully but only open a couple of centimetres- this was said before they even looked at it as is supposedly a common misconception, as on hot days the struts can be more efficient and open the boot fully.
So it looks like I am going to have to do the mod!
It needs to be carefully balanced because the last thing you will want is a boot full of rain or snow. Many people activate their boot lids as they are pushing their supermarket trolley over the car park.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The boot lid on my mate's E Class Merc. nearly took my head off when I was loading some hiking gear into the car.
I much prefer the more subtle approach from Jaguar.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Part of the problem is weather related - the warmer it is, the lid springs up faster and wider !

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
had a look today and mine are not that much broken to be honest, but regardless, would like to have boot wide open by itself - replacing bolts/caps (whatever you call them) need to be bit longer than original - do I understand it correctly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone have a 'quick fix'/ 'mod' like this for the newer model XF?

You would have thought that JLR would have fixed the issue as it is such a common problem, but no!

I have an XF S 2017 and there are no struts or springs, everything is hidden behind the paneling in the boot. The arm for the boot is a semicircular arm that extends into the panels?

I have read all of the forum posts and watched the youtube videos regarding solving this issue but they all pertain to the 'spring & strut' models.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts