XF Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update, I sent my struts back on Thursday to get the ends replaced for the plastic ones (expensive do for me as no discount and £15 worth of extra postage back and forth). Anyway, this time fitted straight on like the Jaguar ones and sure enough fully open the boot, however, I hope my settle down a little, start nice and smooth until near the top and then bounce off the stoppers, yes, I mean bounce and shake the boot hinges !! My struts show 390N on them FYI, but at this rate I may be looking for some foam to make them less fierce.

So my advice is if you have the plastic ends on the original Jaguar struts ask for the plastic ends on the new struts, as you don't need to try and force them on as they just push on and fit perfectly.

Maybe my Oct 2008 just had unusual struts but they are the same part codes as on the site etc.

Cheers
Steven

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update, I sent my struts back on Thursday to get the ends replaced for the plastic ones (expensive do for me as no discount and £15 worth of extra postage back and forth). Anyway, this time fitted straight on like the Jaguar ones and sure enough fully open the boot, however, I hope my settle down a little, start nice and smooth until near the top and then bounce off the stoppers, yes, I mean bounce and shake the boot hinges !! My struts show 390N on them FYI, but at this rate I may be looking for some foam to make them less fierce.

So my advice is if you have the plastic ends on the original Jaguar struts ask for the plastic ends on the new struts, as you don't need to try and force them on as they just push on and fit perfectly.

Maybe my Oct 2008 just had unusual struts but they are the same part codes as on the site etc.

Cheers
Steven
Hi Steven, glad you got it sorted at last, my boot lid tends to do a little bounce when it reaches the top but it isn't bad enough to worry about. Phil

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Steven
Had to sent mine back too! as on first opening of boot in the morning it had reverted back to the standard two inch opening and then you had to lift. I was offered to have them tweaked if I paid the return postage but didn't want to chance it, plus one of the metal ends broke at the clip when I removed it. My fault :roll: but was charged for that, in total including my return postage it came to £12.95 Ce La vie
Will

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Will,

Just in interest what was you tweak ?

This morning it failed to fully open for me, I am planning to put some foam on as it almost feels like a little play in the mechanism. But were a perfect fit for the original ones.

Its all a experiment :)

Cheers
Steven

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Steven
This is what I have done and it has opened the boot fully every time, I removed the small plastic buffer that loads the spring and fitted an adjustable metal buffer, it springs the boot lid up faster and allows the STD gas strut to take it up all the way, and because you are using the original strut the boot lid goes up more gently and does not hit the buffers as hard as it did do with the uprated replacement struts. as this is a modification you carry out this work at your own risk.
Will
l View attachment 4357

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Pekem
The springs are fitted as standard in the XF boot, they are for the first movement of the boot lid in order to get the gas struts moving, the only thing I have done is to replace the small plastic buffer with a metal screw and locking nut.
No springs added or struts replaced.:!:
Will

·
Administrator
22,567 Posts
Hi Pekem
The springs are fitted as standard in the XF boot, they are for the first movement of the boot lid in order to get the gas struts moving, the only thing I have done is to replace the small plastic buffer with a metal screw and locking nut.
No springs added or struts replaced.:!:
Will
Well three cheers to you Will :)
After years of discussion about the boot opening sluggishly, learning about Boyles Law, arranging a discount for new struts, you casually announce that you have the solution. Well done indeed :)

G

·
The original plastic buffer gets crushed over time and so will reduce the spring tension, thus weakening the initial push up of the boot lid. Here's mine after just 2 months:

Next pic has the buffer removed. I'm surprised that these don't fall out on their own as they don't seem to be held in very tightly. Perhaps this may be the problem that some people are having?

Now off to go through my tray of nuts & bolts so that I can apply the 'Willification'...

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks Ash
I like it "Willification" as I had removed the small plastic buffers and fitted the screws I was not able to show the before only the after pictures, but you have shown the problem area spot on.
Thank goodness Pekem has got the picture now!
Will

·
Registered
286 Posts
Excellent analysis and solution. I've just tried sticking a couple of small self-adhesive pads (the sort for buffering cupboard doors) on top of the existing plastic pads as a test. Big improvement, although I know it's too flimsy to last and the weight of the spoiler needs a fraction more compensation. I'm now quite happy to remove the original pads now and substitute something thicker as a permanent solution.

Thanks, Will and Ash, for the very clear pictures.

·
Registered
101 Posts
carried out this modification today with great success. i undid the 2 nuts holding the boot on. used an M4 countersunk bolt.and used lock washers and locking nuts to get the desired level of "spring"

Boot flys open now even in this snowy weather!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tried this mod myself and works perfect. I couldn't get any bolts the right size, so I used number plate screws (used white ones to show mod better in picture).

As with the original picture in this thread, it is easy to see the wear from the arm which has dented the plastic. I just trimmed down the numberplate screws by 2/3rds and screwed in.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well my fix was short lived! its back to only opening 1 inch, albeit on a warm day it flies open!

·
Registered
102 Posts
read your thread on boot opening,i removed the small plug and drilled a 0. 25mm hole through the centre of the plug and screwed in a chrome mirror cap head, (you know the ones you put up mirrors with) works perfect every time so far boot opens fully such a simple 10min job. many thanks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts