XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Had my XF for nearly a week now, covered around 400 miles so far - and whilst still settling in, and getting used to the car, 3 things have already emerged that im wondering if are common - or me...

1) I use an iphone. Whilst i have no problems to setup and use generally, i.e. all the functions seem to work fine, directory - last numbers etc. I do have a problem with the system just dropping calls randomly.... this is very very annoying. Anyone else seen this??

2) Air vents starting to squeek... This was something i was afraid of, but thought it would happen 20k miles+ in, not after <500. I have 1 vent i think that makes a small (at the moment) squeek, when initiially opening up.

3) Foot Rest. Why on earth, have they not protected the left footrest - like i've seen on other auto's. As it stands today, i can imagine this area of the carpet is going to wear unevenly, and get pretty grotty - pretty quick. Has anyone come across an accessory, or anything that could help here. For those who have had their car a while - how is it wearing ?

..... maybe 4). Could have been my eyes tricking me, but when i put a bag in the boot this morning, i thought i may see signs of water..... hmmm i daren'y look - but will keep an eye on this part..

Any thoughts appreciated.

Kev

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
I have had no difficulty with my iPhone. Which model and which version software is involved.

Just pop in to the dealer and I suspect that they will have a magic spray for any squeaks.

Have not noticed any wear pattern on the carpet after 12,000 miles but I will have a look now that you have remarked on it.

As for the water perhaps being in your boot it might be worth reading this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=432&p=3465#p3465

·
Registered
374 Posts
I agree about the footrest - it's a crazy thing to leave out on a premium car. In fact, my opinion is that Jaguar produced a load of eye candy from the waist up when sitting in the car and everything below the waistline is very cheap in quality. Take a look at the door bins and the quality of the plastic. It just doesn't fit in with the quality of the materials used at eye level.

The plastic at the sides of the centre console is also shockingly cheap and doesn't look right sitting next to aluminium and wood. It should have been leather.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
kevshed said:
Hi all,

3) Foot Rest. Why on earth, have they not protected the left footrest - like i've seen on other auto's. As it stands today, i can imagine this area of the carpet is going to wear unevenly, and get pretty grotty - pretty quick. Has anyone come across an accessory, or anything that could help here. For those who have had their car a while - how is it wearing ?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Kev
I have looked at my carpet and at 12000 miles it shows no signs of wear at all. I accept that it is an area that will become dirtier than others but not to the extent that it becomes a pain to deal with. If however, you want a remedy then just affix a carpet protector over that small area using double sided carpet tape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pekem said:
I have had no difficulty with my iPhone. Which model and which version software is involved.
Im using an original iphone, running 2.0.1 - but its been working fine in my other car... i'll investigate further and perhaps update it further, i think there is a new release out, so i'll see if that works.

On the footrest, glad you are not seeing an issue. One less thing for me to worry about.
cheers,
Kev

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Roma said:
I agree about the footrest - it's a crazy thing to leave out on a premium car. In fact, my opinion is that Jaguar produced a load of eye candy from the waist up when sitting in the car and everything below the waistline is very cheap in quality. Take a look at the door bins and the quality of the plastic. It just doesn't fit in with the quality of the materials used at eye level..

The plastic at the sides of the centre console is also shockingly cheap and doesn't look right sitting next to aluminium and wood. It should have been leather]
Roma, I suspect that the plastic mouldings will prove to be preferable if the need arises to remove foot scuffs. I noticed that the bin on my door does get marked by shoes; yes I know we are not supposed to push the door open when on an incline with our feet, and it is an easy job to clean them. Also, the cost of replacing a matching leather trimmed bin or console after a crash might be a good deal more expensive than the present material. These are factors that underwriters consider when deciding insurance groups so it may be that Jaguar have thought more about appropriate materials than you might have given them credit for. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
The point i'm making is that the eye-level stuff is top-notch (it might not actually work, but it looks expensive!). I'm very happy with the quality of the materials used high up in the cabin. Overall, the cabin knocks every other exec car for six.

Where cost savings have been made is the non-eye-level stuff. Honestly, a Ford Fiesta has better door bins than an XF. I don't think the Jag marketeers thought about scuff marks, it's purely a cost-saving measure and I find it embarrassing in a car at the price-point of the XF.

In my opinion the sides of the centre console should be adorned in stitched leather, as should the door bins (and the whole door, in fact).

We shouldn't have to go to CarpetRight and buy a 6" x 2" bit of carpet protector to affix to the footrest just finish off the XF! The beautiful level of details high up in the cabin should be in all areas of the cabin. Audi, Merc and BMW all have proper footrests, even in the base-spec cars (A6, E-Class and 5-Series) as far as I know.

I find the little cost-saving touches very strange. Little things like the lack of front parking sensors on the base spec - no other exec lacks these and i'd rather have these than vents that swing out.

Jag need to learn to get the basics right in an exec car and then fill it with items of jewelry. The former are useful for daily car use whereas the latter appeal to magazine reviewers and in the first few weeks to new owners as a wow factor. This is exactly the reason why cars like the BMW 5-Series have been the benchmark in the exec sector for so many years: they get the basics right: durability, longevity, economy, functionality and liveability (is that a word?). That's what the base price of a 5-Series buys you and then you customise it with any trinkets you need.

I have a feeling that Jag focussed a bit too much on trinkets and forgot about long-term use of the car. Getting the complete car to the correct level of finish and adorning it with the functional items that are standard equipment on other execs shouldn't add more than £2K or so to the base price of the XF and would make it even more of a bargain than it is now.

·
Registered
618 Posts
To be honest the XJ doesnt have a footrest and has the same carpet covering as the XF and I know someone that has one with 130k on it and its fine. I have also seen a couple of the development cars which in January had over 100k each on them (and they have a hard life) and there wasnt an issue with the carpet wearing thin.

In terms of the cheap materials I think that shows up more on certain colours and is one of the reasons why I went for charcoal. I had a loaner the other day that was dove and the dove coloured plastic did not look anywhere near as classy as the charcoal and I dont know whether I was being biased but in my opinion it didnt feel the same either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
craig said:
To be honest the XJ doesnt have a footrest and has the same carpet covering as the XF and I know someone that has one with 130k on it and its fine. I have also seen a couple of the development cars which in January had over 100k each on them (and they have a hard life) and there wasnt an issue with the carpet wearing thin.

In terms of the cheap materials I think that shows up more on certain colours and is one of the reasons why I went for charcoal. I had a loaner the other day that was dove and the dove coloured plastic did not look anywhere near as classy as the charcoal and I dont know whether I was being biased but in my opinion it didnt feel the same either.
I have dove interior and do not think it looks "cheap" at all - quite the contrary in fact. The materials compare most favourably with the BMW's, Mercs and Audis I have owned in the past. Choice of colour is all a matter of personal and subjective taste. I find that dark interior colours give a stark effect and somehow make the interior feel smaller.

I would also obsrve that for a few members of this forum the glass appears to be permanently half empty at best!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hutton, i certainly dont think my glass is half empty I love my XF.

My perception of what I saw in the loaner is my own opinion and actually i have just noticed i made a mistake on my post. It was ivory not dove and it was the ivory coloured plastic I was speaking about.

The important thing for me is that people like the car they have. Im not getting into arguments or defensiveness about one colour over another. As far as I am concerned if it was available in yellow externally and pink internally I wouldnt care if someone chose that as it would be their own choice. I was making the point that plastic quality can look different in terms of perception based on the colour it is.

Roma does have a point about below eye level. Having spoken with many Jaguar design guys over the years they will openly admit that they cut costs where the customer cannot see but to me a car is a package and if it makes you feel special then its done it job.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have just picked my car up after some warranty work being done, including a new windscreen due to 2 of the heating elements not working. I had a X-type as a loaner and getting my XF back was great. I know there they are 2 totally different cars but the XF is MILES ahead of the X-type and also my mates E class.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Neillbro said:
I have just picked my car up after some warranty work being done, including a new windscreen due to 2 of the heating elements not working. I had a X-type as a loaner and getting my XF back was great. I know there they are 2 totally different cars but the XF is MILES ahead of the X-type and also my mates E class.
Well that's telling Mercedes :lol:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hardly a fair comparison with the E class though as it is nearing the end of its product cycle. Thats like comparing the S-type with the XF and declaring the XF to be better.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I wasn't doing a road test comparison, but as the new C-class will be closer to the E in quality of interior, I would still take the XF above it also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
craig said:
Hutton, i certainly dont think my glass is half empty I love my XF.

My perception of what I saw in the loaner is my own opinion and actually i have just noticed i made a mistake on my post. It was ivory not dove and it was the ivory coloured plastic I was speaking about.

The important thing for me is that people like the car they have. Im not getting into arguments or defensiveness about one colour over another. As far as I am concerned if it was available in yellow externally and pink internally I wouldnt care if someone chose that as it would be their own choice. I was making the point that plastic quality can look different in terms of perception based on the colour it is.

Roma does have a point about below eye level. Having spoken with many Jaguar design guys over the years they will openly admit that they cut costs where the customer cannot see but to me a car is a package and if it makes you feel special then its done it job.
Craig, my comment was not aimed at you.

Meanwhile, have you experienced the current BMW 5 series? The interior is so stark and dull by comparison with the XF. The materials are also not of the same high quality as the XF. The interior of the new C class Merc is another example which is pretty much the same as a Mondeo and perhaps is an indication of what the new E class will be like. Finally, the asking price of the comparable BMW 5 series with the same kit as the XF is more than the Jag. Consequently, when bemoaning the XF, consideration should be given to the competition taking into such matters as the driving dynamics and the interior etc. As confirmed by almost all the motoring press, the XF is superior to the competition at present.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts