Getting to the end of my tether - Page 3
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Good luck Dos, looking back on my earlier thread it's looks like 50/50 for getting out if its seized, from the responses it seems some managed it and some snapped the stud, let's hope yours comes out.
    Once I got mine moving I used a similar technique to when cutting a new thread, ie, for every new quarter of a turn out I made, I then made a quarter turn back in again, hopefully allowing the corrosion to loosen and clear away from the thread rather than compacting into the thread if I had continued turning it out, I got there in the end and hopefully so will you

MY2010 3.0D S
    Premium Luxury - Vapour Grey

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by XFNI View Post
    Although more money (~£100) I've read a lot of good reports about hydrogen (carbon) cleaning, particularly on older diesels. There's lots of info. on-line. Also, the main companies seem to do a full diagnostic as part of the process. I'm contemplating having it done.
    Anyone on here with any personal experience they can share?
    Not on a diesel engine, but I had my Mazda MX5 1.8l done in Spain last year. (The initial diagnosis had been clogged valves, possibly due to the car standing idle for several months each year).
    During the cleaning process, which lasted longer than I would have expected, the car was run at very high revs.

After the clean, I was unable to detect any significant difference, but I did have a subsequent diagnosis, via a pressure test, that I had either burnt out valves, or piston/piston ring damage in cylinder 4.

After the event, I began to wonder what caused what.
    Was my initial problem due to a valve or piston/ring issue ?
    Did the aggressive cleaning process create a problem I didn't have before ?
    2012 Premium Luxury 3.0D, Garage Opener, Adaptive Lights, Blind Spot, Reversing Camera, Parking Sensors, 12x12 Seats.

Thanks for your encouragement Warrior.
    I had been thinking about your suggestion to get lubricant on to the top of the clamp screw where it goes into the nut. I had hopefully dripped fluid onto the large washer and it's surround more in hope than expectation a couple of days ago. So, this morning I drilled a hole about 2.5mm dia. adjacent to the collar where the screw goes down through the misfuelling tool holder. I didn't know what exactly to find, but the hole around the screw is quite large and the screw threads are visible so I am able to get fluid to go down the thread to the nut. As you suggested I'll now leave it for a while to soak into the offending region. Fortunately at the moment I'm not in a desperate situation, although as a full time carer I only have a few moments now and again to do things for myself.
    Dos.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Hi Warrior.
    You can add my removed clamp screw to the list of those your advice has helped. Once cracked open by tightening it came out cleanly using short undo/do up turns as though tapping a thread. Liberal covering of anti seize copper grease and underside protection.
    Dos.

Quote Originally Posted by dos View Post
    Hi Warrior. You can add my removed clamp screw to the list of those your advice has helped. Once cracked open by tightening it came out cleanly using short undo/do up turns as though tapping a thread. Liberal covering of anti seize copper grease and underside protection. Dos.
    Great news Dos, going forwards check and re-grease annually, I did this for the first couple of years after battle number one, then forgot about it, and a few months ago I had battle number two with the damn thing all over again when I was needing to change the 5 year old battery!!

MY2010 3.0D S
    Premium Luxury - Vapour Grey

Thanks for the replies, folks.

The battery was replaced and I've done a week's worth of driving. The only thing that's changed is that the windscreen washers have now packed up. Press the button on the stalk and the wipers come on but no jet. Checked the level and the fuse. I can't actually hear the pump going but I don't know if that's normal. Oh, and I've been trying to work out how to set it so the internal lights come on when I open the door. That's fixed itself with the battery change.

Fuel consumption is still crap - 444 miles and 68 litres on the last tank = about 29mpg despite the computer telling me it's averaged 45mpg since I filled up and reset the trip
    Low engine oil pressure warning still comes on when stopped in traffic if I leave the car in 'D' - Oil level is fine. Not rising or falling

It's booked in on the 7th to have a ding on the bonnet repaired. Once that's done, it's going. Even if I have to use webuyanycar.com, I can't put up with a lemon like this. I love driving but I hate driving *this* car.

It's sad you're getting rid, but understandable. Please don't write the XF off completely. As you mention, yours seems like a lemon, and I'm sure you'd have better luck If you tried a different XF (a 3.0Ltr if you could stretch to it).
    Jaguar XJ in Carpathian Gray

A comment on the computer MPG, are you using the A, B, or Auto guage? On Auto it measures for the actual journey you are on, so resets after you switch off. A & B run continuous until you reset them. As an example I leave A alone, reset B at each fill up, and leave it showing auto on daily driving.

With the washer bottle it could just be the filter that is clogged up, relatively simple job to look at as it is behind the OSF wheel liner, just whip the wheel off and loosen a few screws. Mine was full of gunk, cleaned it out and it was fine.

Oil pressure light may just be the sender playing up, unless there is a more fundamental problem.
    2012 XF Premium Luxury 3.0DS in IRR
    Previous 2010 XF Luxury 3.0D, 2002 S Type 3.0 S (Petrol)