Leather quality appalling
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.

Thumbs up Leather quality appalling

It has been known and discussed on various forums that the quality of the leather on JLR vehicles was well below the standard expected from the luxury car maker. The drivers seat on my 13 month old Sportbrake is now showing signs of severe bolster wear and loss of colour dye along with surface scratches. I sent photos of the damaged seat to my dealer today and they responded immediately to inform me that Oyster coloured “leather” seats were the subject of a recall and both seats will be changed under warranty even though the complaint was only on the drivers seat. The complete seat frames and covers are on back order so I just hope that JLR will not announce their insolvency before I get my new seats. Sorry to add to JLR s quality problems reported to be costing £1M wordwide every week but I want my seats fixed. A RR Velar in the family has already had the drivers seat cover replaced due to quality issues.
    XF 2.0 D 240 AWD Portfolio Sportbrake caesium blue,light oyster,panoramic roof, privacy glass all round,USA size number plates.
    In garage and summer use 2006 XK 4.2 convertable frost blue/ivory.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Good to read that Jaguar have accepted liability.
    In the event that JLR did go belly up I wonder if you could simply rely on the relevant sale of goods act via the suppling dealership ?

Quote Originally Posted by pekem View Post
    Good to read that Jaguar have accepted liability.
    In the event that JLR did go belly up I wonder if you could simply rely on the relevant sale of goods act via the suppling dealership ?
    Warranty is with the manufacturer. Dealer will have no liability - buyer screwed. Same thing happened with MG Rover.

It's not as if JLR is honouring warranties now anyway.

JLR will have screwed over the seat supplier - Lear? - 10%, 20% off piece price per annum type of thing, which the supplier in turn will have taken out of the quality and durability of the seat - hence all the sudden problems with 'top' Windsor leather seats in I-Pace FEs etc.

Lear or whoever will of course know that JLR is about to go tits up, plus the hugely reduced volumes being supplied, as JLR's production crashes, and so will have taken steps to look for other contracts, which again means there's no incentive for them to produce good quality seats, leading to more warranty claims.

It's all the vicious circle of a failing auto maker - see BL/Austin Rover in the 70s, 80s, etc.

The only way to short circuit this inevitable descent to disaster is if a miracle comes along - Ford buying Jag, BMW buying Rover Group, or even Geely buying Lotus.

Ain't gonna happen. Lotus, requiring £1-2bn to turn it around, is a different kettle of fish for Geely to spend £50bn turning around JLR. No one has £50bn now, not even VAG or Daimler AG. It's UK Taxpayer Ltd or bust.