Sat Nav - Page 3
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sat Nav

Quote Originally Posted by Bik3rz View Post
    There won't be any newer maps than 2014/15 firmed by jaguar as jag introduced new infotainment system in 2015. Famous InControlTouch. Buggiest of them all...
    Thank you for the confirmation. I suspected, there would be no more new maps. Perhaps it's not such a loss. The Jaguar navigation isn't great anyway, and new maps are very expensive. So it really wouldn't be worth it to spend more money in the Jaguar navigation in the first generation XF. A separat navigation device like a Tomtom or a Garmin is much better, and new maps are much cheaper. Some devices even have free map updates for life.
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark
    MY2009 XF Premium Luxury 4.2 V8 petrol, lunar gray, dove leather.
    Previous: MY2012 XF Luxury 2.2 (190 ps) diesel, azurite blue, barley leather.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Muenster View Post
    It looks very elegant? I assume it works with a magnet, which you glue to the dashboard. And then you glue a metal plate to the rear of your phone, tablet or navigation device. Do you feel, it is s****y enough for a somewhat large navigation device like a 6" Tomtom 6000? And could you tell me, where to find information about the thingy?
    The device is also sold through Amazon and as you can see the maker Wuteku offer different but equally elegant solutions.

https://www.wuteku.com/

I want to use Google maps on my iPhone instead of (or if I want to be generous as an adjunct to) my 2011 Jag satnav. What's the current preferred method of fixing a 5.5 inch iPhone onto the dash?

2011 XF 3.0d S

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PTW View Post
    I want to use Google maps on my iPhone instead of (or if I want to be generous as an adjunct to) my 2011 Jag satnav. What's the current preferred method of fixing a 5.5 inch iPhone onto the dash?
    I'll start by saying, I hate putting a navigation device (a dedicated on or an iPhone) on the windscreen with a suction cup holder. It ruins the view out, and it looks cheap. Not suitable for a Jaguar. And it's hard to reach the device. And the cable hangs down from it. Normally I love the holders from the Swedish company Brodit. I just don't think the ones they have for the XF are that great. It's not Brodits fault, but rather the dashboard of the XF, which isn't suited for that sort of thing. They have two holders. The higher mounted one blocks one of the ventilation outlets and part of the center screen. The low one is placed on the side of the central console. Far away from you normal line of view, and annoying for the knee of a passenger next to you. The XF has rotating ventilation grills, so you can't use holders for attaching to them. I think those holders are quite popular for other cars. I think you can switch off the rotation of the grilles, but I don't know how stable and solid they are on the XF, given that they are made to rotate.

On my first XF, I glued a disc from Tomtom on the top of the dashboard right in the middle. Then I used a suction cup holder on that disc to hold my navigation device. It obstructs the view a little, but not so much as a suction cup holder on the windscreen. And it brings the navigation device much closer, so you can reach it without stretching out from you seat. When you don't use the navigation device, you only have the discrete disc on top of your dashboard. Not exactly classy perhaps, but not too bad either. When you sell the car, it is possible to remove the disc and the glue as good as completely by very carefully loosening it with something like a credit card while heating the disc and glue with a hair dryer. After that you have to clean the area with some vinyl cleaner or detailing spray. I honestly don't remember, what I used. It's just that I can't guarantee, that there will not be a permanent mark. Only I managed to get it off completely.

As for now, I use a holder which attaches inside the slot for the cd player. It is a low placement. You'll have to look away from the road a little. But it's not too bad. On the other hand, it's close to the power outlet, so the cable doesn't go up in front of the dashboard. The navigation device doesn't hide a lot of buttons, but some will be hidden. I think it works fine. And best of all: When you remove the holder, there is no trace of it. So when you don't need a navigation device, your dashboard is completely original with no extra plastic things stuck on it.
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark
    MY2009 XF Premium Luxury 4.2 V8 petrol, lunar gray, dove leather.
    Previous: MY2012 XF Luxury 2.2 (190 ps) diesel, azurite blue, barley leather.

Administrator
    It’s Jaguars way to get you to upgrade your car

I have Apple Car Play on my car and within a couple of minutes of entering the car I get a message that I am connected to Apple Play and Google Maps is displayed on 10" screen with all the identifiers such as businesses, stores and castles etc that we are used to seeing.

I use the UGREEN CD slot phone holder. It’s reasonably well made and can be adjusted to be in a suitable viewing angle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0771JHK..._c.2bEbEAXWPT2

One thing to be aware of is that the small rubber pads aren’t particularly well glued on and so could come off inside the CD player. Suggest you remove them before first use and reattach with a stronger adhesive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    3.0D S Portfolio (MY2015.5), Stratus Grey, Charcoal/Piano Black. Nokian WR D4 tyres on 18" Cygnus rims for the winter.

Thanks for all the advice. Using CD slot does seem to be the best plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennant View Post
    I use the UGREEN CD slot phone holder.
    I was considering the Mpow device:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holder-Mpow...YB30HPVZM7NQCN

The tensioning knob is an attractive feature.

2011 XF 3.0d S

Quote Originally Posted by Muenster View Post
    Some devices even have free map updates for life.
    Just be aware, updates for life means the life of the Sat Nav Unit. Each new update tends to more detailed than than the last, hence needs more memory / processing power and eventually the Sat Nav Unit can't cope and therefore has reached the end of it's life! In my experience, if you get pas the 3rd update, you're doing well!
    2014 XF Sportbrake 3.0S Portfolio in White with 20" Black Kalimnos rims