Love my new XF but the first gremlin has appeared! - Page 2
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hello & welcome, sounds like you are getting your problem sorted. Battery should be 12.6 at rest, 14.3 when engine running.
    2012 XF Premium Luxury 3.0DS in IRR
    Previous 2010 XF Luxury 3.0D, 2002 S Type 3.0 S (Petrol)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by IRXFS View Post
    Hello & welcome, sounds like you are getting your problem sorted. Battery should be 12.6 at rest, 14.3 when engine running.
    Hi and thank you. I’m still waiting as they haven’t received the ordered part yet but I also asked for a heads up on the price....over €800 just for the alternator gulp. Plus fitting. That’s given the missus loads of ammunition!

That is a ridiculous price. It would be worth trying to find out if there is any need for a Jaguar-specific alternator (I would be inclined to doubt it) or if an off-the-shelf alternative can be sourced. Maybe one for the technical area of the forum ?
    NM
    2015 XF Sportbrake 2.2 (200) MY 15.5, 1972 MGB Roadster, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 280SL

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Good morning JonR.
    I read with interest that you have invested in a CTEK battery charger. I vaguely remember, from some while ago that a CTEK charger was recommended by Jaguar. It would be nice to know which model from the range you decided to purchase.

Regards, Dos.

Good morning JonR.
    I notice from one of your earlier posts that you have purchased a CTEK battery charger. I also noticed from CTEK's website that their range of equipment is quite extensive, I wonder therefore which model you decided to buy as a suitable unit for battery fitted in the XF.

If my post appears twice it could be because I think I fudged my first try to ask which model you got.

Kind regards, Dos.

Yep, you're not wrong there Noblemac......I'm afraid they had me over a barrel as I needed the car pretty quickly to get to work. With the cost of the hire car the whole bill came to over €1,500! If it had been spring or summer i'd have searched out an independant mechanic or done the job myself. OUCH!

I think you will find that it is hard to own a Jaguar outside of having factory or extended warranty. Little things that happen, like a failed alternator tend to escalate in cost quickly.

Over here, Jaguars are sold standard with a 5 year, 60,000 mile (100,000 KM) factory warranty. Without that, they would not be able to sell many.
    Hailing from: New England, USA
    Jaguar XF Ownership History: 2009 XF-SC(SV8), 2010 XFR, 2012 V8 Portfolio
    Looking For: Good Handling/Light Jaguar Sports Car and Off-Road Capable Land Rover

Quote Originally Posted by dos View Post
    Good morning JonR.
    I notice from one of your earlier posts that you have purchased a CTEK battery charger. I also noticed from CTEK's website that their range of equipment is quite extensive, I wonder therefore which model you decided to buy as a suitable unit for battery fitted in the XF.

If my post appears twice it could be because I think I fudged my first try to ask which model you got.

Kind regards, Dos.
    Excuse my late reply Dos. I don’t know how I overlooked your question!
    If it’s not too late, I bought the CTEK MXS 5.0 plus lead to fix permanently to the battery so if need to charge in situ I just open the boot and plug-in.
    https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/connect-eyelet-m6
    Last edited by JonR; 21-09-19 at 12:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron95 View Post
    I think you will find that it is hard to own a Jaguar outside of having factory or extended warranty. Little things that happen, like a failed alternator tend to escalate in cost quickly.

Over here, Jaguars are sold standard with a 5 year, 60,000 mile (100,000 KM) factory warranty. Without that, they would not be able to sell many.
    Yes, quite. But my plan to own and drive a top mid-range car for minimal outlay is working out if we exclude the unfortunate alternator affair! The Jaguar dealers here in der Vaterland are more expensive , labour wise, than back in Blighty with unreal prices hence wanting to do most jobs myself.

Cheers,
    Jon.