Cleaning glass behind high level brake light
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.

Cleaning glass behind high level brake light

I know this section of the forum doesn't get used so much. but here goes with a help request.

Does anyone have any tips on cleaning the glass behind the high level rear brake light. I got a tool from halford which helped, but I still can't get fully behind it to clean the glass as I would like. I tried a cloth on a piece of card, this didn't work too well either. In fact, I noticed as I pulled the cloth back, I'd also pulled some of the material covering the rear brake light.

Any tips appreciated.
    2009 3.0d preimum luxury

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Problem is solved in the manner that chimneys were swept in the bad old days, a small boy
    I know how much of a problem it is to clean that area and therefore I don’t try. I take my car to a hand car wash and when they ask - inside as well ? I say yes please. Point is they have what appears to be an army of cleaners that set about my car and one of those cleaners always manages to clean in all those difficult to reach areas.

Does NatJag mean the part of the rear window, which is close to and right above the high level rear brake light? The window forms a sharp angle with the brake light housing, and it is difficult to get all the way down to the housing of the brake light. It leaves a grey, dull area of uncleaned glass just above the brake light housing. I try to do my contortionist impression and twist my arm around, so I can reach down very close to the housing with my fingertips inside the cloth, I use for cleaning windows. It is normally quite sufficient. I have also once bought a plastic handle with a small plate like 2" by 3" covered with a microfibre cloth made with this purpose. It can be used to reach the lower parts of the rear window and also the windscreen, which are often hard to reach. It does make it easier, but it's harder to polish the window with that handle, so I don't use it a lot.

If, on the other hand, NatJag means the area of the rear window, which is actually inside the housing of the brake light, I think it's impossible to reach without disassembling something. On my old XF I once had a dead ladybug in there. I asked the garage to remove it, when I had the car in for servicing. They did it without any remark. On my current XF there is a small dead fly lying in there. It's harder to see than a ladybug, so I don't know, if I'll bother to have it removed.
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark
    MY2009 XF Premium Luxury 4.2 V8 petrol, lunar gray, dove leather.
    Previous: MY2012 XF Luxury 2.2 (190 ps) diesel, azurite blue, barley leather.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

I've not looked at mine to see what space there is to get tools inside the area, but you say you've had some success with card and cloth, so could you also try 2 magnets sandwiching a cloth and the rear glass? I know it's a whacky suggestion, but it could work if there's room.
    Jaguar XJ in Carpathian Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Morbius View Post
    I've not looked at mine to see what space there is to get tools inside the area, but you say you've had some success with card and cloth, so could you also try 2 magnets sandwiching a cloth and the rear glass? I know it's a whacky suggestion, but it could work if there's room.
    That's the method you use for cleaning algae from the inside of aquariums. Perhaps a device made for aquariums would be suitable. Otherwise I fear it can be difficult to find some magnets in the right shape and strength.
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark
    MY2009 XF Premium Luxury 4.2 V8 petrol, lunar gray, dove leather.
    Previous: MY2012 XF Luxury 2.2 (190 ps) diesel, azurite blue, barley leather.