Haymarket hatchets Baby Jag
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Haymarket hatchets Baby Jag

What has JLR done to Haymarket? From sickening fawning to ill-concealed sneering.

What Car's review of the E-Pace is the latest and greatest? putting the boot in exercise by a Haymarket title

https://www.whatcar.com/jaguar/e-pace/estate/review/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Nothing like telling it as it is
    With “friends” like What Car, Jaguar certainly don’t need any enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by pekem View Post
    Nothing like telling it as it is
    With “friends” like What Car, Jaguar certainly don’t need any enemies.
    What happened is that VW shut Haymarket up. They bought the buggers - the Seat and Skoda UK promotional account.

Freed now from the need to rely entirely on JLR's shekels, we are seeing nearer to reality assessments by these hacks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Found this post on an E-Pace forum.

The front bonnet is just awful and the rear tailgate does not even line up, honestly can't Jaguar get anything right took one look at it and went to the BMW garage

honestly why would I part my money for this .. I have not got the energy to buy another jaguar with all the build quality issues that come with it .. and don't get me started on the ITCP ..

and the bonnet was closed correctly, absolutely disgraceful .. they can keep it, didn't even bother test driving it in the end

If the I-Pace is produced by Magna in the same way as this E-Pace I think that Jaguar will be sorry they farmed it out.

Maybe they should subcontract I-Pace production to Tesla. You know, the one auto company who has the absolutely highest customer satisfaction on the planet - ever.
    Hailing from: New England, USA
    Jaguar XF Ownership History: 2009 XF-SC(SV8), 2010 XFR, 2012 V8 Portfolio
    Looking For: Good Handling/Light Jaguar Sports Car and Off-Road Capable Land Rover

Found this post on an E-Pace forum.

If the I-Pace is produced by Magna in the same way as this E-Pace I think that Jaguar will be sorry they farmed it out.
    The E-Pace is not really available yet, is it? Couldn't it be a pre-production car assembled by hand, so it isn't as well built as the production cars? It was my impression, that Magna is very good at assembling cars.
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark
    MY2009 XF Premium Luxury 4.2 V8 petrol, lunar gray, dove leather.
    Previous: MY2012 XF Luxury 2.2 (190 ps) diesel, azurite blue, barley leather.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Muenster View Post
    The E-Pace is not really available yet, is it? Couldn't it be a pre-production car assembled by hand, so it isn't as well built as the production cars? It was my impression, that Magna is very good at assembling cars.
    It is a strange philosophy to solicit orders for a car that is sub-standard in build quality.

it's all a bit incestuous. Magna bought JLR's longstanding local pressings and stampings supplier, Stadco(Shrewsbury Tool and Die Company), in 2015.

Stadco had already been operating Jaguar Castle Bromwich's pressings facility since 2004, as a JV, which Ford initiated, and possibly is wholly Stadco(Magna) owned now.

Magna's Cosma division, separate from their Stadco acquisition, will have a new factory in 2018 at Telford supplying alunminium castings to JLR.

So, Magna ought to know how to press panels, whether steel or aluminium, whether in Castle Brom, Halewood or Graz.

My suspicion is the E-Pace was done on such a shoestring budget at JLR, and in such a short time, that the CAD for the CAM of Magna's pressings was sub-standard, resulting in not just poor panel alignment, but seemingly also mal form, and the Magna producion team at Graz picking up on this - 'JLR couldn't be bothered, so why should we' - can't be ar$ed to put the now well into production cars together with any care, especially as they have overflowing order books for the BMW 5-Series made in the same plant, and the expected smash hit success of the new G-Class, whose production is just beginning.

All together, it's an orphan product, with two uncaring parents, for different reasons.

JLR's was cynicism that any rushed rubbish with a Jaguar badge on it would sell to the braindead airheads of the 2010-2015 Posh Spice generation, and Magna's that of 'we simply don't need this rubbish now, as we have two smash-hit products more than filling our factory for years to come'.

It's almost reminiscent of the BL days.

Quote Originally Posted by Muenster View Post
    Magna is. The G-Class is a byword for durability and build quality. Aston Martin entrusted the £150k Rapide to them.

The fault lies with JLR, and the ridiculously rushed and short 'development' time, i.e. none effectively, just a crude redressing of the Evoque, rushed to market, when it became clear in mid 2015 at Gaydon HQ, that Jaguar's 'New Gen' saloons were a mighty flop, as well as the already old XJ sinking without trace under the onslaught of the 2013 W222 S-Class, and the then newish F-type barely doing 10k units a year, and to survive Jaguar would need SUVs, which meant a quick, cheap and dirty redressing of the Evoque/Freelander(E-Pace), and the promoting timewise of the shortened RR Sport as a Jaguar(F-Pace), over the more obvious brand-fit Velar.

The F-Pace was bad enough, with its launch and ongoing quality and other problems, due to almost no development, even though it was essentially a 2013 RR Sport, which itself traces back to the 2003 XJ's platform, but the E-Pace is obviously even more rushed and 'cost-cutted', as from H2 2015 JLR became impacted by Dieselgate, the sales collapse in China and rampant competiton in their home patch of hitherto money-spinning premium SUVs.

The E-Pace is definitely now in production; these cars are not 'pre-prods'.

For instance, and to show how the E-Pace has sunk already, against the Volvo XC40, in Spain in December, 7 E-Paces were registered, against 81 XC40s, which is also now in full production, in Ghent, Belgium.

Administrator
    Interesting posts on the E-Pace forum :

Re: Delivery

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:27 pm
    pjm007 wrote: Yes. Long story short: - I had spec’d my car very carefully just under the £40k tax limit and ordered in September.

My dealer added the rear power socket feature (£150?) without telling me because he was told by JLR that it would speed up the delivery date as all early cars were being made in Solihull and had that feature as standard.

I spotted it in my config and pointed out that although it was meant to be a “no-charge” feature the tax system would count it as an extra and put me over the limit. So they had to change the order and put my production slot and delivery back by several weeks.

The dealer suddenly realised that shipping from Austria would take longer! Shambles all round between the dealer and JLR.

As I therefore was being forced to have a gap between my last car lease ending (31/12), and a new car delivery I looked again at the market and switched to an XC40. Added a month to my gap, but got my full deposit back from the JLR dealer and a much better deal and spec for my budget from Volvo. Sorry that wasn’t very short!

jayd95

For the record your dealer is telling few lies.
    The E-pace is only being built in Austria,There is no production for the E-Pace in solihull.
    The cost to set up the factory to build the car for a few months would be huge.

I Imagine the dealership only had a few build slots so either added the feature by mistake and missed the window to change it or they already had a car on order they could change and just forgot to take that off.

And when you noticed and they went to re order they didn't have any slots left until the following month hence the delay

It is interesting how the new tax rate is influencing buying decisions and how the £150 “free extra” is treated.