The Art of Performance Tour
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Art of Performance Tour

just came back from Donnington race track were Jaguar is holding one of it's The Art of Performance Tours this weekend. never done such event before - it was brilliant

it was mostly introduction to e-pace, but we drove everything jag has to offer (part from xj's). from 2.0 diesel e-pace, through v6 supercharged petrol xe/xf/f-pace to 5.0 v8 guzzlers like top end f-type svr - great way to spend some free time f-type svr wasn't taken to it's true paces due to rain we were not allowed to go fully flat out for obvious reasons, but still, sounds it is capable of...love it! quite interesting was to find out what xf alikes are actually capable off... think, i'm ready for full track day now

first of all there was e-pace 40mins drive with pre planned route, self drive on mixed roads. had 240 i4 diesel -there were different engines, but all cars were fully loaded otherwise. engine quite quick, but found it bit noisy inside...

then we went to find out what's the difference between normal and dynamic modes in few fast runs doing slaloms - with pro drivers/racers first showing off, then us mere mortals was actually shocked how far you can push these cars and they still go where you point them...

then, short ride on 'ice', nothing special, just showing us difference with all safety modes on/off.

next thing we were shown was parking assist - never saw it in action - brilliant and actually quite strange to let car do it for you

small competition next - in e-paces, riding trough gates in whatever order you were told by smart cones (green leds go through them, blue leds showing next gate to go through). came 2nd

then race track column rides in xe v6's, then e-paces and the best came last - behind the wheel of f-types with instructor first, installation lap then hot lap and then f-type svr with pro racers behind the wheel - unfortunately due to rain we were not shown what really race speed is, but still it was quick

if you get invite - worth going - my wife participated in all above as well and she loved it
    .................................................. ........
    MY2012, 3.0D S Premium Luxury, Ultimate black over barley. Did I mention 20'' draco's?

Sound like great fun, how did you manage an invite?
    Stratus Grey, Black pack, 3.0 DS Premium Luxury 2014 & Jensen Interceptor MKIII .

Quote Originally Posted by Mick D View Post
    Sound like great fun, how did you manage an invite?
    it really was got invited through email from jag uk, most likely due to buying my jag through main dealer (getting newsletters from time to time). all i had to do is choose - there was few places and dates to choose from.
    .................................................. ........
    MY2012, 3.0D S Premium Luxury, Ultimate black over barley. Did I mention 20'' draco's?

Administrator
    Better late than never I suppose but mild Hybrid with a diesel. On the other hand it may be a fully electric, who knows ?

Land Rover is set to launch a diesel-hybrid Range Rover Evoque in its next-generation line-up, due next year.
    Six different Evoque development cars spotted testing have been registered as using a 2.0-litre diesel-hybrid engine, according to an online database.

2019 Range Rover Evoque details

The plans tally with Jaguar Land Rover's announcement last year that it wanted to electrify all of its models by 2020.

We know the Evoque is set to launch with 1.5-litre plug-in hybrid, but previous research projects by Jaguar Land Rover suggest the 2.0-litre diesel powertrain is likely to use a 48V mild-hybrid set-up.

We expect it to echo a JLR prototype called Concept_e MHEV. This mild hybrid is based on a Range Rover Evoque donor vehicle and features a prototype 89bhp diesel engine with a 48V electrical system.

It incorporates a 15kW crank-integrated motor with a disconnect clutch within a hybrid module sandwiched between the engine and a nine-speed transmission. The motor-generator is powered by an advanced 48V electrical system and a 48V lithium ion battery.

The brand’s decision to use diesel power in its hybrid Evoque contrasts a move it made with the larger Range Rover hybrid, which swapped from diesel-electric to petrol-electric power in its latest update.
    It also contrasts the route taken by rivals, such as Volvo, which will produce a hybrid version of its Evoque rival, the XC40, with petrol power.

Diesel has come under pressure in recent months, with the UK Government announcing raised taxes for diesel models in a bid to lower the number of them on the road. But diesel cars, particularly those assisted with electric power, are still considered among the most efficient for long distance drivers.

The mild hybrid Evoque will likely offer the very best economy figures and lowest CO2 output in its range. It will lend its electrified diesel powertrain to sibling models in the Discovery Sport and Jaguar E-Pace ranges.

Jaguar Land Rover’s wide-ranging adoption of electric power comes as part of a heavy push towards electrification. JLR CEO Ralf Speth confirmed last year that its electrified model range would "embrace fully electric, plug-in hybrid and mild hybrid vehicles".

The brand will launch its first electric model, the I-Pace, into the market this July. It will also produce an all-electric XJ and electric Road Rover in 2019.

Administrator
    It seems that Magna are not all they are cracked up to be.
    Several reports on an E-Pace forum that cars are being delivered to the U.K. and then held by dealers to rectify faults.

I was due to collect my car last week. My local branch of Parks Jaguar, Ayr, called to say there was a fault / problem with the reversing lights ie not working. Seems only to be with the manual version. I am struggling to get a full explanation, sounds like closing ranks. Jaguar has pushed the resolution date out to the 23rd. March.
    The above is not an isolated case. It appears that others have also suffered.

And there is this :

Was looking forward to this but won’t be buying as Jaguar are taking the proverbial with its pricing and public switch to petrol from diesel.
    No excuses Jaguar...explain why the petrol version of this car carries a huge premium over the diesel?

In the XE the petrol 250 is £1400 cheaper than the d180 yet here it is £2800 more!!!
    That’s £4400 more!
    Yeh yeh it’s supply and demand but £4400!
    The marketing guys need a good shake.
    Extraordinary premium for a Diesel engine.

Quote Originally Posted by pekem View Post
    It seems that Magna are not all they are cracked up to be.
    Several reports on an E-Pace forum that cars are being delivered to the U.K. and then held by dealers to rectify faults.

The above is not an isolated case. It appears that others have also suffered.
    G-Wagen, AM Rapide, BMW X3... , all notorious for being thrown together by those famously slap-dash teutons.

JLR has dropped a **** in the Magna Steyr punchbowl, with the execrable Evoque-thing.

Magna miscalculated. The high-ups thought they were dealing with serious car guys, the fellow German-speaking Ziebarts, Speths etc, back around 2013, when Magna Steyr desperately needed work to fill their factory, with the sales-bombing AM Rapide and MINI Countryman, and loss of AMG SLS bodyshells.

5 years on, Magna Steyr needs JLR's work like a hole in the head, with the 5-Series PHEV and new G-Class going great guns.

Magna will use the contract's break clause, as there is no solution to working with JLR in the raw, beyond the PR pap, as the quality blackhole of Solihull has proven over 40 years, since the SD1 at least, immune to even BMW and Ford.

This is why JLR is angling to get grants to take the I-Pace/I-Pace with a boot - 2019 'XJ' - back to the UK, as Magna have probably shown them the door already.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BMVIrep View Post
    G-Wagen, AM Rapide, BMW X3... , all notorious for being thrown together by those famously slap-dash teutons.

JLR has dropped a **** in the Magna Steyr punchbowl, with the execrable Evoque-thing.

Magna miscalculated. The high-ups thought they were dealing with serious car guys, the fellow German-speaking Ziebarts, Speths etc, back around 2013, when Magna Steyr desperately needed work to fill their factory, with the sales-bombing AM Rapide and MINI Countryman, and loss of AMG SLS bodyshells.

5 years on, Magna Steyr needs JLR's work like a hole in the head, with the 5-Series PHEV and new G-Class going great guns.

Magna will use the contract's break clause, as there is no solution to working with JLR in the raw, beyond the PR pap, as the quality blackhole of Solihull has proven over 40 years, since the SD1 at least, immune to even BMW and Ford.

This is why JLR is angling to get grants to take the I-Pace/I-Pace with a boot - 2019 'XJ' - back to the UK, as Magna have probably shown them the door already.
    Please explain why Magna would dispatch sub standard vehicles to the U.K.?
    It doesn’t make sense because JLR would demand that Magna’s quality control ensure that the E-Pace is produced to the required standard.
    If Magna can satisfy the needs of Mercedes, Rapide and Countryman why would they screw up the E-Pace ?

Quote Originally Posted by pekem View Post
    Please explain why Magna would dispatch sub standard vehicles to the U.K.?
    It doesn’t make sense because JLR would demand that Magna’s quality control ensure that the E-Pace is produced to the required standard.
    If Magna can satisfy the needs of Mercedes, Rapide and Countryman why would they screw up the E-Pace ?
    JLR is in no position to demand anything. All objective studies show JLR to be bottom of the pile for quality, especially build quality.

JLR don't do production engineering. The Evoque/E-Pace/DSport was handed to them by Ford/Volvo, but they still mucked it up, when sister cars Mondeo, XC60 etc were average to well built, so you can't blame the product engineering.

The E-Pace is just the Evoque, as we know, and that is at least as badly built now as it was over 6 years ago, because JLR is lazy and thinks because of its temporary success for the years 2011-2014, and believing the media's hype about the company and the Evoque product being a phenomenon, they thought they could turn out objective garbage ad infinitum, and idiots would still queue up to buy them at £50k a pop.

The E-Pace is just the continuation of this laziness, arrogance and delusion.

Magna cannot move mountains. The pressure is coming from JLR to get metal out the door, not from Magna to produce rubbish. JLR needs cash.

The situation is no different to that under BL in the 70s, with product like the Rover SD1. - see ARonline's excellent story on this disaster, and its echoes with today - production numbers over quality: https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/rove...lopment-story/

Magna will have been told to get numbers out the door at all cost, even though they will have discovered the product is fundamentally flawed, due to zero production engineering since 2008, for the Evoque.

Magna will resist, as they know it is very dangerous for their A1 reputation, but JLR will override them, as the customer, with a contract, which is why Magna in HQ Ontario will break the contract at the earliest opportunity, which is why JLR wants UK taxpayer dough to build the E-Pace/I-Pace/I-Pace-with-a-boot(2019 XJ) in UK, which is why they were the rumours floated in the compliant media early last year that JLR was going to buy Vauxhall, or at least Ellesmere Port plant, for the capacity to build the E-Pace and overflow from the 'stunningly successful' Halewood plant across the River Mersey.

Magna must have known by around late 2016 that the E-Pace was a ticking time bomb for them, ready to go off with its dreadful quality once starting to be produced in numbers, so probably started to intimate to Speth and co. that they wanted out, asap, and so the Vauxhall/Ellesmere Port cover story for the E-Pace's transfer back to the UK was floated in the friendly media, planted by PR man Hallett.
    Last edited by BMVIrep; 15-03-18 at 08:37. Reason: added SD1 link

Administrator
    It may be that Magna are delivering sub standard cars after all.

Complaints are emerging of owners owners of the E-Pace not having gassed air con systems.
    Four owners so far have enjoyed the present heatwave but not the fact that their car’s aircon doesn’t function.

Air con not cooling

First outing in the sun in the E-Pace yesterday.
    Air con on - check
    Auto control on - check
    Synch om - check
    Both left and right dials reading same set point - good
    Adjust down to a confortable 20C
    Fan kicks in - blasting warm air, but think, OK, will take a while to start to run cool. Exterior temp 22C
    20 mins later - fan still blasting warm air
    Reduced set point to 16C - no change
    Anyone else had this problem? Bit disappointing in a brand new car. Aircon clearly not checked in PDI!

Reminds me of the occasion back in the sixties I was told by my doctor that he had his new Vauxhall Victor for four months before he realised that there was no heater connected to the controls

https://www.epaceforums.co.uk/viewto...1&p=1092#p1092

And it doesn’t end with the aircon.

Hi.
    I was due to pick up my new e pace from the dealership earlier today, only to get a 'phone call to say that there is an issue with the e pace bonnet seal and as such any stock cars which haven't been registered can't be, until the seal has been replaced.

The dealer is hoping to get a replacement seal in the next couple of days, but until it is sorted he can't register the car and i can't pick it up.

Apparently this is an issue which affects all e pace, although those cars which are already registered will be sorted next time they are in the garage for any routine work, service etc.

Administrator
    And yet another today.

I'm glad I found this forum, I picked up my E-Pace just under three weeks ago and there have been a couple of issues - the lack of air con discovered over the past few days has prompted a trip back into the dealer to fix - almost a shame it will be a bit cooler by then!

I tried all settings, sometimes there is a quirk that means activating to 'Lo' or the minimum will not work as well as trying 17 or above... I have tried all combinations / settings / strength and after 40 mins, it was still hot air... I am slightly happy it's turned out to be a commonality and not 'user error'!

(I've also had a strong burning smell at 300 miles and a problem with the auto Stop / Start). Having said all that - I love the car and am really happy I chose it.