The story behind the birth of the I-Pace - Page 2
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator

I-Pace will finish off Tesla.

So for all you naysayers, Diesel heads and electric carphobes take note that a Jaguar man believes that the I-Pace will finish off Tesla and that the I-Pace will represent up to 10% of Jaguar’s sales !

Jaguar hopes the I-Pace will be a world beater, both on the track and at the dealer.

Next year could very well be the year of the EV for Jaguar Land Rover. The new Range Rover Sport P400e electrified crowds at the L.A. Auto Show, and signified the first “big step” forward towards an electrified and fully electric lineup.

But next year the Jaguar I-Pace will join the range, the first fully electric SUV from the British marque.

Jaguar I-Pace In LA – Image Credit: InsideEVs/Tom Moloughney

At the L.A. Auto Show, alongside the concept that made its debut initially just last year, the company showed off the race-prepped I-Pace eTrophy, scheduled to make its on-track debut late in 2018 as a Formula E support series.

We sat down with motorsport veteran and the first Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy team owner, Bobby Rahal, who spoke openly about the new one-make series, and the ongoing push for more EVs within the Jaguar range.

For Bobby Rahal, this is “new territory for sure,” he said. Starting his career in SCCA feeder categories as a driver, and working his way up to the management team of the former Jaguar Formula 1 team, this is the first time that Rahal is taking a crack at a fully electric race series.

But he’s not worried.
    “I think it’s gonna be fun, I think it’s gonna be challenging, but I think we’re ready to take that on,” said Rahal. “The idea is to win.”

The Rahal Letterman Lanigan racing team will field two cars in the 2018/2019 season. Drivers have yet to be announced, but we should know which two people will be behind the wheel as testing commences throughout 2018 before the first race later in the year.

Not only is Rahal is racing expert, he’s a certified Jaguar dealer, too – and the connection between the I-Pace eTrophy and the upcoming production version of the I-Pace SUV is evident.

He estimates that the I-Pace will make up “maybe seven to 10 percent of what we sell” in the first year. The dealer has already gone to work on installing charging ports both at their facility, and at the homes of customers.

“Some manufacturers have been slow to recognize the reality,”
    he said. “But if you look at every manufacturer here, everybody is going electric. That field is going to be really crowded.”

With an estimated EPA range of (at least) 220 miles (350 kilometers) via a 90 kWh battery, and the ability the sprint to 60 miles per hour (96 kilometers per hour) in just about 4 seconds, the I-Pace will go up directly against electric SUVs like the Tesla Model X. But Rahal believes that once Jaguar, and other manufacturers begin offering EVs on a mass scale, Tesla doesn’t stand a chance.

“It’s my sense that Tesla is going to feel the pain worse than anybody,” said Rahal.

“They go to Tesla because nobody has had it, now they can go back to their Mercedes, or their Jaguar, their Land Rover whatever it may be.
    The dealer body that all those manufacturers have is much better than Tesla’s dealer body – because they don’t have one.”

How will the Jaguar I-Pace ultimately perform against the Tesla Model X?

We will have to wait until later in the 2nd quarter of 2018 in Europe to find out, with a US match-up on Tesla’s home turf in the Summer

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

LOL - An automotive dealer claiming that the "dealer body" of conventional automakers is an advantage. Shocking.

Lets see if millennials will tolerate buying cars through the "dealer body" much longer.
    Hailing from: New England, USA
    Jaguar XF Ownership History: 2009 XF-SC(SV8), 2010 XFR, 2012 V8 Portfolio
    Looking For: Good Handling/Light Jaguar Sports Car and Off-Road Capable Land Rover

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron95 View Post
    LOL - An automotive dealer claiming that the "dealer body" of conventional automakers is an advantage. Shocking.

Lets see if millennials will tolerate buying cars through the "dealer body" much longer.
    Many non millennials are happy to buy their car on line today and if then a “dealer body” can make a profit providing the level of service similar to Tesla they will be quickly thought of as bandits

Tesla Support

Maintenance Plans

Tesla Annual Service Inspection

Unlike combustion engine cars, Tesla vehicles require no traditional oil changes, fuel filter, spark plug replacements, or emission checks.

As an electric vehicle, even brake pad replacements are rare because regenerative braking returns energy to the battery, significantly reducing wear on brakes.

Our inspections instead focus on checking wheel alignment and tyre condition, assessing replacement parts like key fob batteries and windshield wiper blades, and installing the latest software update.

Tesla recommends an annual service inspection every year or 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first, to maintain your vehicle to top performance standards.

Maintenance Plans

Advanced payment of annual service inspections via a Maintenance Plan is the most economical means of maintaining your vehicle. Maintenance Plans may be purchased by logging into your Tesla Account or by visiting a local Tesla Service Center.

3-Year Maintenance Plan

Term: 3 years or 37,500 miles, whichever occurs first. Includes 3 inspections total, one every 12 months or 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first.

4-Year Maintenance Plan

Term: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Includes 4 inspections total, one every 12 months or 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first.

To schedule an annual service inspection, contact your nearest Tesla Service Centre for an appointment.

Year 1
    12,500 miles
    Year 2
    25,000 miles
    Year 3
    37,500 miles
    Year 4
    50,000 miles
    A/C desiccant bag replacement X X
    Battery coolant replacement X
    Brake fluid replacement X X
    Cabin air filter replacement X X
    Drive Unit(s) fluid service X
    Key fob battery replacement (set) X X X X
    Multi-point inspection X X X X
    Tyre rotation (if needed) X X X X
    Wheel alignment check (and adjustment, if needed) X X X X
    Wiper blade set replacement X X X X
    Model S Rear Wheel Drive
    Individual service cost £450 £700 £450 £825
    3-Year Maintenance Plan* £1,500 £825
    4-Year Maintenance Plan £2,250
    Model S All-Wheel Drive
    Individual service cost £525 £700 £450 £825
    3-Year Maintenance Plan* £1,575 £825
    4-Year Maintenance Plan £2,325
    Model X All-Wheel Drive
    Individual service cost £600 £800 £525 £950
    3-Year Maintenance Plan* £1,800 £950
    4-Year Maintenance Plan £2,675
    *The 3-Year Maintenance Plan can only be purchased for a new vehicle.
    The specified operations repeat after year 4. For example, we perform “Year 1” operations in year 5 and “Year 2” operations in year 6.

Learn more about what is included in our annual service inspections and other recommended maintenance
    It is thought by the British Insurance industry that the number of serious road traffic accidents will decline over the coming years so even the revenue stream presently available to a “dealer body “ from its body repair shop could not be relied on.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    I-Pace has now completed 1.5 million miles road testing and is now ready for production.

Los Angeles, USA, 6 December 2017:

One year on from showing the I-PACE Concept at the LA Auto Show, Jaguar is back in town with a production prototype for final range and durability tests ahead of its official global reveal in 2018.

Thousands of potential customers have pressed the ‘I want one’ button on www.jaguar.com to place a deposit or register a strong interest in the hotly anticipated electric SUV. Not only will they be at the front of the queue when order books officially open in March, but a lucky few have been chosen to accompany Jaguar's engineers as prototype vehicles complete final validation tests.

Ann Voyer from Pasadena asked Jaguar if the I-PACE would have enough range to complete her favourite road trip along California's West Coast. To answer her question, Jaguar engineers took her on a long-distance range test – on one charge only.

The I-PACE production prototype drove 200 miles from Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, to Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, on a single charge of its advanced Lithium-Ion battery.

Ian Hoban, Jaguar Vehicle Line Director, said: “After 1.5 million global test miles, the I-PACE is ready for production and is proven to deliver long distances on a single charge. Jaguar's first battery electric vehicle will also be fast to charge; our target is a zero to 80 per cent charge being achievable in a short break."

Full specification and pricing for Jaguar's electric performance SUV will be announced in March 2018 when order books will officially open.

Thousands of potential customers have pressed the ‘I want one’ button on www.jaguar.com to place a deposit or register a strong interest in the hotly anticipated electric SUV.
    Maybe the above is clarification of the earlier claim that thousands of orders had been placed for the I-Pace

Quote Originally Posted by pekem View Post
    Thousands of potential customers have pressed the ‘I want one’ button on www.jaguar.com to place a deposit or register a strong interest in the hotly anticipated electric SUV.

Maybe the above is clarification of the earlier claim that thousands of orders had been placed for the I-Pace
    25,000 'strong interests', wasn't it?

One thing JLR used to do was slick PR, even when all else was crap - making, engineering, developing cars.

Now, even the PR people seem to have given up the ghost, allowing open to derision mouth-droppers like the above - 'strong interest' - to go out, seemingly unchecked.

It smacks of a body of people who know this thing is going down, and they're just drawing their salaries until there's a better chance to go elsewhere.

Administrator
    Mixed messages for sure. It seems that Autonews is not in the loop now because they are reporting 25,000 confirmed orders

The I-Pace will be built at by contract manufacturer Magna Steyr in Graz, Austria, because of capacity constraints at Jaguar's UK factories. Production capacity will be 13,000 a year, analyst IHS Markit estimates.
    The production I-Pace is likely to be revealed at the Geneva auto show in March, although Jaguar didn’t confirm that. It has said the production model won't differ much from the concept.
    LMC forecasts that I-Pace sales will be 4,500 in Europe next year, rising to 8,700 in 2019. Jaguar said in September it has 25,000 confirmed orders from the car.

The I-Pace is expected to cost from 60,000 pounds ($80,000) in its UK home market, undercutting the Tesla Model X electric SUV, which starts at 70,880 pounds.

Mixed messages for sure. It seems that Autonews is not in the loop now because they are reporting 25,000 confirmed orders
    September - 'orders'; 'first year of production sold out'
    December - 'interests'; '4-8,000 expected annual production'

Is the I-Pace diesel powered? How else to explain its collapse of demand?

It's a turkey, a huge flop. It's another XE SV Project 8.

When you have real orders and a successful car, you don't need to advertise, or launch, re-launch and re re-launch, with drives in London a full year ago, constant 'spots of prototypes' - with #JaguarElectrifies all over them and psychedelic wraps - and now rides for journalists. It's desperation. I bet they haven't got 1,000 real orders.

It also sounds, as I said would be the case, that Magna has scaled back the I-Pace's production dramatically, from the 2015-17 planned ~25,000 units a year, to fewer than 10,000 now, as Magna doesn't need it, with the 5-Series and the new G-Wagen loading the Graz factory anyway.

You guys are missing the point. Just like the XE was a mediocre sedan, the Ingenium was a mediocre engine, so too the I-Pace will be a mediocre EV. But that is still a significant effort that is a positive for the Jaguar brand.

Whatever you think of Jaguar they are better off having the XE, the F-Pace, the E-Pace and soon (we hope) the I-Pace in their line up. Even if the products are mediocre, it is still positive for the brand.

You shouldn't be so overly critical of the new products, simply because they are not best in class.
    Looking For: Good Handling/Light Jaguar Sports Car and Off-Road Capable Land Rover

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron95 View Post
    You guys are missing the point. Just like the XE was a mediocre sedan, the Ingenium was a mediocre engine, so too the I-Pace will be a mediocre EV. But that is still a significant effort that is a positive for the Jaguar brand.

Whatever you think of Jaguar they are better off having the XE, the F-Pace, the E-Pace and soon (we hope) the I-Pace in their line up. Even if the products are mediocre, it is still positive for the brand.

You shouldn't be so overly critical of the new products, simply because they are not best in class.

I am not overly critical of the product. However some might think that of JLR I am.

It seems to me that you are far too sanguine about Jaguar’s future.
    I asked you elsewhere if the E-Pace and I-Pace is manufactured in Europe and in China the E-Pace, F-Pace, XFL, XEL and no doubt in time the I-Pace are produced in partnership with Chery which volume seller will sustain the U.K. manufacturing plants ?
    Thousands of British jobs are dependent on the success of JLR and all the signs are that presently they are not successful selling sufficient cars in the U.K.
    From New England it may be possible to view the success of Jaguar in a different way but because of the state of the U.K. market, Stratstone - one of Jaguar’s most important distributors, is poised to sell Bauer Jaguar in the States to fund their U.K. business which may not include Jaguar cars.

It seems to me that you are far too sanguine about Jaguar’s future. ....
    From New England it may be possible to view the success of Jaguar in a different way
    I'm not sanguine about the future of Jaguar. And from New England I can tell you that Jaguar US sales just went down again - by 10% - in November, which was another record month in the US for vehicle sales, in an economy and stock market that is flat out booming.

All I am saying is that, overall, Jaguar (and JLR) are better off with the new models being launched than without them. Yes, sales a decreasing, but they are still twice what they were in 2015.

Jaguar now has the most complete vehicle range in its entire history, with 3 sedans, 2 SUVs, one sports car, one estate, and one EV to be launched.
    Even if individually they are not the best in class (and they are not), collectively it is still a strong line up.

I do not see any severe risk to UK JLR employment. I see a cyclical, moderate risk, which simply needs a good powertrain (engine line up) to be fixed.

There is a lot of space between sanguine/booming and sky-is-falling/depression. That is where Jaguar is.
    Last edited by Baron95; 07-12-17 at 13:55.