296 PS turbo four petrol going into XE and XF in Canada.
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.

296 PS turbo four petrol going into XE and XF in Canada.

Great news. JLR is now offering the newest state of tune for the turbo petrol four in our market. Just in time. 300PS (296 bhp).
    Last edited by jagular; 13-08-17 at 20:15.
    Currently 2013 XF V6 SC AWD Caviar on London Tan/Navy
    Sold my much loved '09 XF Lux Azure on Dove/Charcoal

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Great. As soon as anybody sees a review or is able to review that engine, please post about it.
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark
    MY2009 XF Premium Luxury 4.2 V8 petrol, lunar gray, dove leather.
    Previous: MY2012 XF Luxury 2.2 (190 ps) diesel, azurite blue, barley leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Muenster View Post
    Great. As soon as anybody sees a review or is able to review that engine, please post about it.
    My dealer is certain to contact me as soon as one comes in. Their first 247 HP XE was sold while still on the boat.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jagular View Post
    My dealer is certain to contact me as soon as one comes in. Their first 247 HP XE was sold while still on the boat.....
    Oh my God. Did they manage to rescue it? And who in their right mind would be so stupid as to buy a car on a boat? The car will sink at once.

And what is all this crazy thing about horsepower? HP means horsepower, and bhp means brake horsepower. PS is the German equivalent and short for Pferdestärke, which is the German word for horsepower. In my Danish it is "hestekræfter". How come, that Jaguar has engines with even numbers of PS like 180, 200, 250 and 300. But whenever they are mentioned in English speaking magazines using hp or bhp, then the same engines have like 2, 3 or 4 horsepower less. It's not 240 PS diesel but 236 bhp. The 250 PS petrol, we talk about here, is suddenly only 247 hp. I mean, isn't a horsepower a horsepower? And what does a few horsepower more or less mean anyway? Why not just use an even number? The measure is not that accurate anyway. A horsepower is the power, a horse uses to drag a kettle of boiling water 1 meter across a field. How accurate is that?
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark
    MY2009 XF Premium Luxury 4.2 V8 petrol, lunar gray, dove leather.
    Previous: MY2012 XF Luxury 2.2 (190 ps) diesel, azurite blue, barley leather.

Actually, the definitions are quite precise. 1HP = ˜746 watts, 1 metric HP = ˜735 wats (PS is just one of the multiple ways of saying metric HP). There is some variability in how they are tested (US SAE and European DIN, but these days that is pretty well aligned), but things like what octane fuel is used is often left out [Ford is one of the few that provides the HP rating for different octane levels in its performance cars).

For all practical purposes HP, PS these are close enough (within 1.5%) that they can be used interchangeably.

BHP is a bit more archaic in that it implies the way to measure it (a brake to hold engine speed), while HP is simply the power unit per a specified testing protocol (e.g. SAE dyno/torque-converter method). The British just need to move on and get rid of BHP.
    Last edited by Baron95; 14-08-17 at 04:04.
    Hailing from: New England, USA
    Jaguar XF Ownership History: 2009 XF-SC(SV8), 2010 XFR, 2012 V8 Portfolio
    Looking For: Good Handling/Light Jaguar Sports Car and Off-Road Capable Land Rover

Quote Originally Posted by Baron95 View Post
    Actually, the definitions are quite precise. 1HP = ˜746 watts, 1 metric HP = ˜735 wats (PS is just one of the multiple ways of saying metric HP). There is some variability in how they are tested (US SAE and European DIN, but these days that is pretty well aligned), but things like what octane fuel is used is often left out [Ford is one of the few that provides the HP rating for different octane levels in its performance cars).

For all practical purposes HP, PS these are close enough (within 1.5%) that they can be used interchangeably.

BHP is a bit more archaic in that it implies the way to measure it (a brake to hold engine speed), while HP is simply the power unit per a specified testing protocol (e.g. SAE dyno/torque-converter method). The British just need to move on and get rid of BHP.
    Funny. I know the difference between SAE and DIN horsepower. That's how you measure it. When I was a child, both were still used, but in a few years everybody switched to DIN, which is more honest. But I have never heard, that there are different kinds of horsepower between metric and non metric. Perhaps, since the difference is small, nobody really worried about it.

What's this about different HP from different octane levels of petrol? A Danish car magazine tried 92, 95 and 99 octane petrol in a Peugeot 308 GTI, and the 99 octane petrol made a clear difference. The difference between 92 and 95 was small. Shell, which is the only company selling 99 octane petrol here in Denmark, has the article from the magazine on their homepage. Does that mean, that all cars deliver more horsepower with higher octane fuel? Or is it mostly turbo charged cars, as I have seen suggested? In short, will my good old-fashioned 4.2 liters V8 be more powerful with 99 octane petrol than with 95 octane? I have tried it, but I can't say, I have been able to tell a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Muenster View Post
    What's this about different HP from different octane levels of petrol?
    For modern engines that rely heavily on knock sensors, have "on-the-edge" compression, etc fuel octane can make a meaningful (as in a couple of %) difference in HP. Serious manufacturers will tell you that their cars make xxx HP with yy octane fuel. Some will tell you how much less HP they make with lower octane fuel.

In the US most performance-oriented cars are rated with 93 or 91 (US methodology) octane fuel, while the vehicles can be run on anything above 87 octane. There is usually a 10-15HP gain on a ˜450HP car to go from 87 to 91 octane.

Again, only people (like me) who obsess about this would know the difference.

DIN 70020 (doing this by memory, may be wrong on some digits) and SAE J1349 are basically the same methodology. The power rating in watts will be virtually the same. But HP will be higher than PS by ˜1.5%.
    Hailing from: New England, USA
    Jaguar XF Ownership History: 2009 XF-SC(SV8), 2010 XFR, 2012 V8 Portfolio
    Looking For: Good Handling/Light Jaguar Sports Car and Off-Road Capable Land Rover

A dyno measures brake horsepower. The differences between DIN and SAE refer to the state of the engine when tested and to the adjustments made to the measured brake HP (actually of course brake torque is measured and bhp calculated from that number). I know of no way to measure the horsepower produced by an IC without braking the engine using a dynamometer.

Higher octane fuel can only produce more torque, and this more power, by using a knock sensor and software to reduce engine efficiency if octane of the fuel is less then the designed for optimum. A knock sensor cannot create more power, only reduce power.