XF-S Portfolio - Botanical Green
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XF-S Portfolio - Botanical Green

Hi

I've been meaning to post to this forum for ages now, and I've now finally got around to it. I guess this may be more of a blog (for which I apologise) and may also be in the incorrect place, for which I also apologise if that's the case. And I'm really sorry if this is really dull to read!

My car owning history has always been, shall we say, consistent. Since my first car in 1987 I've owned nothing but V6 Fords: three 2.8/2.8i Granadas followed by four 2.5/3.0 Mondeos. And since February of this year I have an XF...

I easily cover 26,000 miles a year, and consequently I'd been looking for a replacement for my ST24 since this time last year, or possibly even before then. With the assistance of trawling through the various threads in the "Thinking About Buying an XF" forum, I concluded that a 3.0 S Portfolio was the only way for me to go, and so having spent a good six months seriously looking for the 'right' car to come along (engine/spec/mileage/colour combo etc.) I found myself last February at Westwell Jones in Fleet, in the snow and freezing cold looking at the car I now own: one private owner from new, 75,000 miles, FSH etc.

I think I have this right - it's Botanical Green with a Charcoal and burr walnut interior and fold-down rear seats. There are a couple of other options, but I don't recall what they are (except xenon lights and a garage door opener). So far so good.

On the test drive the bonnet popped open. This issue was mentioned in the previous service documentation from June 2016 as having been fixed - apparently not! Before collecting the car Westwell Jones had another go at sorting this out, but unfortunately the day after I got the car it popped open all on its own after the car had been parked for about 15 hours. I live about 50miles away, but despite this they came over and picked up the car, gave me a courtesy car for a couple of days and replaced both latches and the cable. Since then it's been fine.

Time for a couple of pictures:

Interior (dealer photo) and nothing really to talk about -
    media08.jpg

Day of initial collection, next to my lovely ST24.IMG_1111.jpg

So now, after having had to use a Kia C'eed for a couple of days (really, don't bother experiencing this it's not that pleasant) the journey of XF ownership can finally begin.

Despite initial impressions, the paintwork on this car wasn't at all good. Once the wax/filler had worn off after a couple of weeks it was a horrible mess of swirls and buffer trails, and it transpires that the pasenger side had been resprayed, and that most of what hadn't been resprayed had been 'polished' to within an inch of its life!

However... A couple of days at Unique Detail in Dunstable managed to largely sort this out. The chap there - Andy - is a really nice guy and said that he really enjoys working on 'older' cars. Bit rude(!), but he's done an excellent job given what he had to work with. 33787409003_e47dfe9951_b - Copy.jpgIMG_1166c.jpg

The next interesting thing that happened was a 'puncture' about a month ago. Happily this happened while the car was parked and not when I was driving at speeds of possibly up to 70mph on my daily commute. I really don't want to think about the consequences of that... Apart from getting stitched up for £230 per tyre at Kwik Fit (both rears were similar), the chap there implied that this was a design fault, and that I could pretty much expect this sort of thing in future on the other tyres. So that's something to look forward to, and a story that I really don't want to believe. IMG_1184.jpg

The car has just had its 85,000mile service at MotorSolve in Kings Langley, Herts where they also fixed the air con and levelled up the exhausts (this really bothered me ) and now I finally have a car that I think I love as much as my ST.

So that's my Jaguar story so far.

Thanks for reading/looking at the pictures.

Cheers

Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Welcome Bob, lovely looking car and the perfect spec. Interested to hear that Westwell Jones in Fleet where pretty good - they are just down the road from me.

I had exactly the same problem with my tyres - split on the inside rim. My local tyre dealer did the first one for £170. However the second time it happened, he didn't have any in stock and the only other local dealer who had one also charged me £230. I have since bought a pert-used one off eBay to keep in the garage in case of another puncture so that I don't have to get a new one there and then. The eBay tyre has around 5mm of tread, no punctures and cost just under £40 including delivery.

Car looks nice and welcome
    I bought my car from them and found them 'ok'
    Car looks very nice now after the correction . enjoy.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks, chaps.

Can it possibly be true that the M25-Fleet section of the M3 will soon be free of roadworks for the first time in about 20 years??? I suspect there will be more "drainage works" before very long!

Regarding Westwell Jones, they were definitely selling the car to me although they were really pushing an open door in my case. I'd been looking for so long that once the right spec car came along at the right price I was going to have it anyway. But I have to say that I honestly wasn't expecting them to sort out the bonnet fix as readily as they did.

This tyre situation is a bit of a concern, but that's a good tip about getting hold of a spare or two in advance is something I'll most certainly consider, so thanks. Seems slightly ironic that they go on the inside sidewall where you have to remove the wheel to check rather than the outside!

It's not been the smoothest or cheapest 'new' car ownership experience for me so far, but now I've got most things fettled I think it's fair to say that I'm now completely smitten with it.

looking good! I need paint correction as well, it wasn't looking stunning after dealers polish wear out either...but hey, it's to be expected when buying used car I guess...anyway, all you can do now is simply enjoy it
    Last edited by Bik3rz; 13-07-17 at 11:29.
    .................................................. ........
    MY2012, 3.0D S Premium Luxury, Ultimate black over barley. Did I mention 20'' draco's?

Jaguar replaced all 4 tyres on mine free of charge under a bulletin JTB00386. I think this was only for certain year cars with specific date of manufacture tyres.

I think Dunlop also refund unused wear if tyres fail like that (eg if 50% of tread left, you get 50% back).
    Sold: 14 XF S Sportbrake Portfolio
    Sold: 56 S-Type R
    Sold: 04 X-Type 2.1 Sport Estate

Nice looking car. Enjoy your Jaguar. The ST looks nice.
    XFS V6 Premium Luxury. In BRG.

Quote Originally Posted by sylsyl View Post
    Jaguar replaced all 4 tyres on mine free of charge under a bulletin JTB00386. I think this was only for certain year cars with specific date of manufacture tyres.

I think Dunlop also refund unused wear if tyres fail like that (eg if 50% of tread left, you get 50% back).
    When I took my Jag to Guy Salmon in Ascot with this issue, the service guys had never heard of the bulletin. I quoted it and they had to look it up. They still wouldn't do anything, the best I got was if I bought two new tyres from them (at Jaguar prices!) they would return them to Dunlop and see if anything was occurring. I didn't go any further with this as when I investigated, I found that my car was out of scope of the bulletin

Thanks for the additional kind words, information and links, which I've now had a look through. Like many others it's impossible for me to avoid speed nipples (as I refer to them) completely, as the entire area around here is absolutely littered with them, but I'll definately be amending my routes from now on as well as changing the way I drive over them!

The ST was a great car, and I'm sure that in 10-15 years time when it's a classic worth £20,000 I'll regret having sold it. But such is life.

I'll confess that until a few weeks ago I wasn't altogether happy with the car, but now I've sorted out most of the irritations and understood its various quirks my opinion is very different.

Wanted to leave this here too, for the record. Not totally fair as it includes a short period before I owned it when it was showing 2mpg so it will be interesting (for me) to see where things go from here.
    Service1Tripb.jpg

35.9 is very good, but don't expect to get that on short journeys, especially if you use the "fun" pedal on the right too much!