Pre-facelift Portfolio vs Post-facelift Premium Luxury (both 3.0L)
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pre-facelift Portfolio vs Post-facelift Premium Luxury (both 3.0L)

I'd welcome any opinions on the two options stated above - I think this will be the decision I face when the time eventually comes around. I'm heartened to see that used prices of well maintained 2010-on cars appear to be softening recently here in the UK.

Thanks

David

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

The improvements made to the face lift cars make it like a new model. There should be quite a price difference between pre and post face lift cars even allowing for model year differences.
    Currently 2013 XF V6 SC AWD Caviar on London Tan/Navy
    Sold my much loved '09 XF Lux Azure on Dove/Charcoal

Thanks Jagular - is there anywhere on here that summarises what those changes were, asides from the obvious cosmetic changes to the front end?

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by David1972 View Post
    Thanks Jagular - is there anywhere on here that summarises what those changes were, asides from the obvious cosmetic changes to the front end?

Thanks
    Don't think so.

Biggest change for a driver was updating the front suspension and steering to F Type spec. Huge improvement, huge.

Bigger brakes.

Retuned springs and dampers.

Interior fittings were changed but maybe improved not too much. Seats were better. Later cars had 8 spd ZF automatic which is perhaps the best transmission ever built. So far.

The improvement in the drive is very noticeable if you are in search of a driver's car. The XF was based on the excellent S Type. The face lift took that suspension about as far as it could go. The newest XF introduced the rear integral link which is even better. However, the front suspension developed for the F Type and introduced across the Jaguar range at that time is still in use with the XE, XF and F Pace.

[QUOTE=Vernonl;701449]
    Thanks Jagular

I think also (jagular will know much more about this than me) that the facelift model removed a lot of the small niggles...locks that didn't function properly, improvements to the touch screen and some of the electrical glitches.
    There's also a guy on this board who listed the improvements for me before I upgraded my first series XF for a face lift. I still think he owes me big time for encouraging me to sink $70K into a new XF I didn't need in 2013....

Quote Originally Posted by jagular View Post

There's also a guy on this board who listed the improvements for me before I upgraded my first series XF for a face lift. I still think he owes me big time for encouraging me to sink $70K into a new XF I didn't need in 2013....
    As a member of a forum, did your advisor owe you a duty of care to ensure that you spent your money wisely ?

Should I say "caveat emptor" before anyone else does ?
    2012 Premium Luxury 3.0D, Garage Opener, Adaptive Lights, Blind Spot, Reversing Camera, Parking Sensors, 12x12 Seats.

Thanks both for your replies - it does indeed sound like it is worth taking the time to find the right face-lifted model when the time comes. They do sound like some quite significant improvements, in terms of the suspension and gearboxes alone.

Time to re-set my autotrader search criteria I'm thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Philocd View Post
    As a member of a forum, did your advisor owe you a duty of care to ensure that you spent your money wisely ?

Should I say "caveat emptor" before anyone else does ?
    Well, if he did I suffered no damages since the face lift XF has to be one of the world's all time great bargains. In some ways it is "better" than the new XF and XE if you were fond of the older style of Jaguar. The suspension on the XF was an interesting blend of old classic Jaguar and modern Ford Europe, as was the X Type using a different but very clever suspension.

I am unsure I can ever be tempted to trade up to the new XF. My wife might end up with an XE which would suit us both, if she ever let me drive it.

I genuinely believe it will be my next car - two things I'm certain of so far:

It has to be a 3.0 engine (the s-version will be a bonus, but not overly concerned as can be mapped easily to replicate (and more))
    It has to be a face-lifted model

I genuinely believe it will be my next car - two things I'm certain of so far:

It has to be a 3.0 engine (the s-version will be a bonus, but not overly concerned as can be mapped easily to replicate (and more))
    It has to be a face-lifted model

very good, you won't be disappointed
    .................................................. ........
    MY2012, 3.0D S Premium Luxury, Ultimate black over barley. Did I mention 20'' draco's?