Jaguar F-Pace versus Range Rover Velar - Page 2
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron95 View Post
    So, if you are running through the forest and break your leg or have a heart attack you die, because you don't run with your phone? Weird.

The only time I leave my phone in the car is if I'm surfing or doing another more radical water sports, where losing the phone (even in a ziplock bag) is a definite possibility. The key FOB is unobtrusive and ease to secure in the water. If I were surfing alone (which I never do), I'd probably have the phone on me and leave the key FOB.
    You know, it takes a lot of time to change old habits. I was rather late in carrying a mobile phone with me. In many ways I'm old-fashioned and conservative. Now I always bring my phone, when I'm riding my bike. The bike can also suffer a mechanical breakdown. But it took me many years to do so. Instead I have always brought my wallet or some kind of I.D. when riding my bike. Should something happen, I wanted my family to be informed as soon as possible, so they weren't worried about me. It's not pleasant to be brought into a hospital as an unknown person, while the family doesn't know, what has happened to you perhaps until the next day.
    When I'm running, I'm not able to get very far away. No way will I be able to leave the area covered by our local hospital. I normally run in the town or in a park, where people are passing by all the time. And should they bring me to the hospital unconscious or something, I'm pretty sure, someone will recognize me. I have been a doctor there for almost 25 years. But of course, I may change my habit and start bringing a phone. I have actually been thinking about the safety aspect of it, as you mention. I always bring a phone on the bike. I just think, that when running in the summer wearing only shorts and a tee-shirt, a phone is rather unpleasant to haul along.
    With bike, I of course mean a road racing bicycle with 20 speed, and not one of those with an engine
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark
    MY2009 XF Premium Luxury 4.2 V8 petrol, lunar gray, dove leather.
    Previous: MY2012 XF Luxury 2.2 (190 ps) diesel, azurite blue, barley leather.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

So, if you are running through the forest and break your leg or have a heart attack you die, because you don't run with your phone? Weird.
    Why a forest? Is it somehow more likely you'll be injured or suffer a heart attack while running in a forest?

You do realize that a phone is pretty much useless to summon assistance in the event the guy carrying the phone has a heart attack serious enough to require assistance. How much time do you think you have? In the forest?
    Currently 2013 XF V6 SC AWD Caviar on London Tan/Navy
    Sold my much loved '09 XF Lux Azure on Dove/Charcoal

@Muenster

I was reacting to your comment: "It's only meant to be used, when you drive to a forest, where you'll go running for an hour."

So if the activity key is only meant to be used when you drive to a forest (which means away from roads, humans, etc) - that seems rather counter intuitive. That is probably the one place you'd want to have a phone with you (or a radio if out of cell coverage).

Anyway Ford has solved this problem decades ago and have electronic keypads on their car doors of many models (and virtually all SUVs). So you just key in your code and the car unlocks. Why Jaguar decided to invent yet another imperfect electronic gadget is beyond me.
    Hailing from: New England, USA
    Jaguar XF Ownership History: 2009 XF-SC(SV8), 2010 XFR, 2012 V8 Portfolio
    Looking For: Good Handling/Light Jaguar Sports Car and Off-Road Capable Land Rover

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

I was reacting to your comment: "It's only meant to be used, when you drive to a forest, where you'll go running for an hour."

So if the activity key is only meant to be used when you drive to a forest (which means away from roads, humans, etc) - that seems rather counter intuitive. That is probably the one place you'd want to have a phone with you (or a radio if out of cell coverage).

Anyway Ford has solved this problem decades ago and have electronic keypads on their car doors of many models (and virtually all SUVs). So you just key in your code and the car unlocks. Why Jaguar decided to invent yet another imperfect electronic gadget is beyond me.
    My answer was for Pekem who seemed to think, you were supposed to use the activity band all the time and leave the keys in the car. I just wanted to tell him, that it is only meant to be used in certain situations. The forest was just the first thing, that came to my mind. It could be mountains, which we don't have here, or even the beach. The idea, at least as shown in commercials, is that when you go to do some exercise like running, kite surfing or mountain climbing, where you don't want to bring along keys and other more or less heavy and unnecessary stuff, you can use the activity key. I think the name even implies it. Often you wear clothing specially made for that specific activity where it can be difficult to bring too much along.

When I mentioned forest, running and phone, it was just examples of an activity, a place and an item you might want to leave behind. You can fill in your own preferred activity, place and item. These days a lot of people, if not most people, run with their phone in an armband and listen to music on their headphones. Many people also use the phone to track their activity and measure speed, distance and time.

I have seen those keypads on cars in the US. I have always thought, they look clumsy and like they have been put on the car after production. I actually thought, they were used on rental cars.
    Last edited by Muenster; 08-03-17 at 10:22.
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark

But will your Ford also allow you to lock the keys inside the car? Many cars will not.
    Currently 2013 XF V6 SC AWD Caviar on London Tan/Navy
    Sold my much loved '09 XF Lux Azure on Dove/Charcoal

Yank Automobile magazine nails this dog's dinner, and apparently, defying Motor Trend's and Baron95's tape measures, it's also a bit pokey in the back. Did JLR lie? Surely not.:

'Jaguar F-Pace
    New to the luxury SUV fray, the F-Pace has an oddly unresolved feeling. Is it going for comfort or performance? Does it want to be a Lexus RX or a Porsche Macan? Its body has the right proportions, yet the tidy looks are more Mary Ann than Ginger. Doors slam with flimsy irresolution, and dynamic responses are also neither/nor. At first blush, the steering is light, brake pedal soft, and suspension underdamped. The 22-inch wheels suggest monster-truck intentions, but the F-Pace is tipsy and wobbly on just one slug of whatever fuels the Grave Digger. Slapped in the face, though, it sobers up and performs smartly. The same conflict is evident inside the cabin. It’s utterly conventional, yet the trimmings are quite nice throughout. This one had a plush headliner and wrapped pillars, a fine dashboard covering, and pleasant leather-upholstered seats with perforated inserts. The second row, however, was none too roomy. We think of the F-Pace as a territory that just received national status and will figure out a strong identity as it matures.'

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2017-automobile-all-stars-others/

Still, it's so bad, it has to be World Car of the Year 2017, like Obomber getting the Nobel Peace prize.

Quote Originally Posted by BMVIrep View Post
    Yank Automobile magazine nails this dog's dinner, and apparently, defying Motor Trend's and Baron95's tape measures, it's also a bit pokey in the back. Did JLR lie? Surely not.:

'Jaguar F-Pace
    New to the luxury SUV fray, the F-Pace has an oddly unresolved feeling. Is it going for comfort or performance? Does it want to be a Lexus RX or a Porsche Macan? Its body has the right proportions, yet the tidy looks are more Mary Ann than Ginger. Doors slam with flimsy irresolution, and dynamic responses are also neither/nor. At first blush, the steering is light, brake pedal soft, and suspension underdamped. The 22-inch wheels suggest monster-truck intentions, but the F-Pace is tipsy and wobbly on just one slug of whatever fuels the Grave Digger. Slapped in the face, though, it sobers up and performs smartly. The same conflict is evident inside the cabin. It’s utterly conventional, yet the trimmings are quite nice throughout. This one had a plush headliner and wrapped pillars, a fine dashboard covering, and pleasant leather-upholstered seats with perforated inserts. The second row, however, was none too roomy. We think of the F-Pace as a territory that just received national status and will figure out a strong identity as it matures.'

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2017-automobile-all-stars-others/

Still, it's so bad, it has to be World Car of the Year 2017, like Obomber getting the Nobel Peace prize.
    The text under the picture is a little nicer:

“As with the XE, the F-Pace offers the right blend of comfort and sport. It feels confident when pushed hard but doesn’t make sacrifices when you just want to amble around town.”
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark

RR Velar EuroNCAP tested before F-Pace that went onsale 15 months before it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz1x-GFI4ng

How much does JLR hate Jaguar, or rather how much does Tata see brand Range Rover as JLR's only hope of staying afloat, and Jaguar (and 'Land Rover') as a liability?

Of course 5* from Thatcham is like Donald Trump rating someone's integrity, as shown by the now usual problem of the FFRR/RR Sport/Disco 5/F-Pace/Velar/...Road Rover's top of the door detachment, to the naked eye at least severe damage caused by the side pole impact, the 60 km'h inter-urban automatic emergency braking test, when other European test centres now do 70 km/h, the non-avoidment of the pedestrian at moderate 30 mph(50 km/h) speed, and the wandering off-lane 'lane keeping', and still it scored near record for this category. #InYerFace
    Last edited by BMVIrep; 04-10-17 at 11:29.