Jaguar F-Pace Rolls Over at Goodwood - Page 2
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Two separate incidents. First the car rolled on its side. Then they repaired it (that is why it is black on the side) - there are pictures of the repairs being done. They then tried to run the car and it started smoking.

That is my understanding, but I was not there.
    Hailing from: New England, USA
    Jaguar XF Ownership History: 2009 XF-SC(SV8), 2010 XFR, 2012 V8 Portfolio
    Looking For: Good Handling/Light Jaguar Sports Car and Off-Road Capable Land Rover

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

This is the F-Pace at the moment of roll-over, driver bailing out...

And here is Jaguar doing the quick and dirty repairs (using black wrap - yuk), to try to send the car out again...

terry-grant-fos-f-pace.jpg
    Last edited by Baron95; 27-06-16 at 14:55.
    Looking For: Good Handling/Light Jaguar Sports Car and Off-Road Capable Land Rover

If you ask me, it was pretty desperate of Jaguar. They not only crashed, but they sent a half-assed "repaired" car with black wrap out again in public, and then it caught fire.

That is what you get when you run things on the cheap. Couldn't they afford a couple of cars to send to the event?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

It IS difficult to drive a car on two wheels. Stunts like that sometimes goes wrong. No shame in that. Acrobats, gymnasts, figure skaters and so on also fall and make other mistakes from time to time. Those things happen. And in this case it can't really be a fault of the car's. Some cars may be easier to balance on two wheels than others, but that hardly says much about how good a car it is, when driving normally. So even thought it is of course somewhat embarrassing, it shouldn't harm Jaguar's reputation.
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark
    MY2009 XF Premium Luxury 4.2 V8 petrol, lunar gray, dove leather.
    Previous: MY2012 XF Luxury 2.2 (190 ps) diesel, azurite blue, barley leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Muenster View Post
    It IS difficult to drive a car on two wheels. Stunts like that sometimes goes wrong. No shame in that. Acrobats, gymnasts, figure skaters and so on also fall and make other mistakes from time to time. Those things happen. And in this case it can't really be a fault of the car's. Some cars may be easier to balance on two wheels than others, but that hardly says much about how good a car it is, when driving normally. So even thought it is of course somewhat embarrassing, it shouldn't harm Jaguar's reputation.
    The issue is not the stunt going wrong. (that happens)

The issue is sending out a patched up car with black wrap, missing mirrors, etc, out on a public event to run up a hill, and seeing it smoke out. It shows desperation and lack of professionalism on Jaguar's part.

Now, if I was the Jaguar brand director, I'd have insisted on having 2 or 3 cars there, and I'd want to have seen the sound performed privately at least 10 times in similar conditions flawlessly, before approving it for public attempt. And I would never send out in public a poorly patched car with unknown other problems after a roll over.

BTW, this is the interior of the F-Pace that went up the hill at Goodwood, just in case anyone was under that illusion that it was a stock vehicle....

I find it quite amazing that the British automotive press simply posts the Jaguar promo video and does not do any digging behind the scenes.
    Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 11.49.45 AM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Baron95 View Post
    I find it quite amazing that the British automotive press simply posts the Jaguar promo video and does not do any digging behind the scenes.
    How else would Steve Cropley, Matt Saunders, Vicky Parrott... make a living? Their sole skill is putting their tongue down JLR's backside.

Have a heart man.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron95 View Post
    BTW, this is the interior of the F-Pace that went up the hill at Goodwood, just in case anyone was under that illusion that it was a stock vehicle....

Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 11.49.45 AM.jpg
    All that is probably just for the cameras, the video and the audio. The cage and the fire extinguisher are there, because the Drivers' Union demands some safety equipment.

On a more serious note, we all know, that racing cars are also very far from the cars they look like from the outside. And what is all that stuff in the F-Pace? A lot of it is probably normal equipment exposed by the lack of the normal interior trim. Most of it looks like electrical stuff, and I can't see how that can enhance the performance of the car. I don't know, what the square metallic box in the middle is, so perhaps that is something, that might help. But all in all, that balancing trick is old as H***, and it can be performed with a standard car.
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark
    MY2009 XF Premium Luxury 4.2 V8 petrol, lunar gray, dove leather.
    Previous: MY2012 XF Luxury 2.2 (190 ps) diesel, azurite blue, barley leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Muenster View Post
    I don't know, what the square metallic box in the middle is, so perhaps that is something, that might help.
    That is a fuel cell, which is there both for fire safety and to prevent fuel starvation once the car is on 2 wheels.

Interior was obviously stripped in an attempt to lower the weight substantially.

As to the stunt being easy to perform, well, it obviously didn't end up well for the F-Pace. With it ending on its side on the first run and up in smoke on the second.

Now, how cray it is that not one of the dozens of British car journalists present there published a single picture or story of the crash and fire/smoke incident?

You don't find that odd?

Those who have a certain amount of experience with two stroke engines might guess that the white smoke was caused by engine oil reaching the combustion chamber.
    The amount of smoke looks fairly typical of a two stroke drive side oil seal failure, which allows lubricant from the drive mechanism to leak into the crank case and then gets pulled up through the transfer ports into the combustion chamber. The result is clouds of white smoke, when the engine is running..
    2012 Premium Luxury 3.0D, Garage Opener, Adaptive Lights, Blind Spot, Reversing Camera, Parking Sensors, 12x12 Seats.