2012 3.0 V6 S Portfolio with 105k miles - Good Buy?
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2012 3.0 V6 S Portfolio with 105k miles - Good Buy?

Hello everyone.

First post and I'm looking to buy my first XF after finally saving up enough to pay cash. I have identified one and now need your help deciding if the below car is a good deal.

2012 (facelift) 3.0 V6 S Portfolio (start/stop)
    105000 miles
    1 owner from new
    Full service history done at dealer from where the car was purchased.
    Last service at 102000 miles.
    Price: £18000

I am mainly concerned about the mileage - is it too high? The car is actually 3.5 years old and has done an avarage of 30 000 miles a year.... I'm worried it is too much. What do you guys think?

I am going for a test drive (and possible purchase) over the weekend so need to work out what to look out for. I am aware of the next service being the big timing belt one and have been quoted £863 by my local Jaguar dealer for timing belt service including water pump. I am hoping to negotiate a grand off the price because of this. Seller seemed willing to get it done by an independent if I completed purchase but I think I would be happier getting it done myself so I know it is done.

Another minor worry is that the car comes with 20 inch Hydra alloys - are they comfortable or not? I've read a few conflicting comments so am a bit confused.

My mileage is actually quite low at about 10k miles - mostly short 5 mile runs to work and back and maybe minimum 30 mile runs on weekends. I am mainly attracted to the extras the car comes with in S trim which unfortunately only comes with this engine.
    That said, I once borrowed a 2008 2.7 and was constantly smiling at the power - the 3 litre should have me grinning ear to ear! If I get at least an average of 35mpg then I'm happy. Hope the start/stop stuff is actually useful. Also slightly worried about the DPF stuff....

All thoughts and comments are welcome. Thank you for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

hi, welcome to the forum

mileage wise 105k is not an issue 30k/y says these are motorway miles. I wouldn't worry about it, specially when all servicing done in timely manner (1y or 16k miles).

your 10k/y will be just about to justify having diesel tbh. dpf? if you do min 30mls over the weekend and you'll give it a good blast at the time, dpf shouldn't be an issue.

20 inch alloys - got them and ride is perfectly fine, but this is so subjective that only you can decide if you are/were driving French cars, probably it will be too hard now, but as you said, V6, 3.0D S - and huge amount of torque coming with it - i'm sure this will make it up and put constant grin on your face regardless and the looks of 20 inch alloys on XF!

timing belt etc - good indy will to the job as good as dealership and for less. looks like it's private sell, so it hasn't got extended warranty (not that it matters as you are not obliged to use dealer to keep warranty anyway), but I wouldn't bother going to dealer with things like timing belt, brakes etc.

price wise looks ok ish, had a quick look, there's a lot in premium luxury trim, for much less and with much less mileage - as some ppl were getting premium luxury with added extras, which might be same as this portfolio. think it's worth looking.

good luck!
    .................................................. ........
    MY2012, 3.0D S Premium Luxury, Ultimate black over barley. Did I mention 20'' draco's?

Quote Originally Posted by Bik3rz View Post
    ...price wise looks ok ish, had a quick look, there's a lot in premium luxury trim, for much less and with much less mileage - as some ppl were getting premium luxury with added extras, which might be same as this portfolio. think it's worth looking.

good luck!
    Hello Bik3rz

Thanks for the response and the very good tip above - excellent advice! I hadn't thought of looking at a premium luxury as I wanted the meridian surround, heated/cooled seats and other extras on the portfolio - will definitely look into it. What are the main differences between portfolio and premium luxury?

Lower mileage will definitely sway me. Nice to know the 20 inch rims are comfortable as they look really good. Car is being sold by a dealer.

Colour wise, do you find your black one marks easily? My current car is a black ford focus and it shows EVERYTHING. It's almost like they put one very thin coat of black paint on top of white paint. this has made me wary of darker coloured cars.

thanks for the reply.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

portfolio always has suede headlining, rear view camera, 20 inch alloys, think that meridian 825W as well, better 18/18 way front seats

in face lift models, believe all trims have dab radio, defo all have usb/ipod points, bi xenon lights, rotating vents . in premium lux better audio will be an option, but many cars have meridian 825W. unfortunately I don't, only 'std' 600W, but it sounds great and is enough for me.

as you are looking at S version, premium lux will have 18/18 way heated/cooled front seats (which are fantastic!) as std, same for 20 inch alloys or aero dynamic pack.

everything else like blind spot, front parking sensors, adaptive lights, sunroof and more will be options for both. in mind that rear view camera was spec'd by almost everybody, so would say 95% of other than portfolio trims will have it. yet again I don't have it ha ha. don't miss it though, rear parking sensor ar just enough for me.

black colour....yes. painful to keep it clean to say at least! when found it last November, it was prepared very good as no scratches were visible...after 1st wash (by myself) noticed a lot of tiny marks...but good wax does the trick and mask them very good. now, probably would have chosen different colour (stratus grey or irr), but when saw it back then, I just had to have it in black

http://www.xfforum.co.uk/threads/49025-The-Jag-of-mine
    MY2012, 3.0D S Premium Luxury, Ultimate black over barley. Did I mention 20'' draco's?

Wow, your car is beautiful! Especially love the red accents - very nice. Not surprised the black is a pain to look after but wow...looks the business.
    The XFS I am considering is grey and looks very understated which I like.

Thanks very much for the equipment list...just compared it against my potential one and looking at the front bumper pic it looks like it has front sensors included. Trying to find a similarly priced Premium Luxury with ivory interior and lower mileage. The search is on.

Am actually afraid to go and 'see' this high miler as I know I won't be able to walk away!

Quote Originally Posted by tygar2 View Post
    Wow, your car is beautiful! Especially love the red accents - very nice. Not surprised the black is a pain to look after but wow...looks the business.
    The XFS I am considering is grey and looks very understated which I like.
    thanks for the kind words - yes, them red accents grey is the best to keep it 'clean'

Thanks very much for the equipment list...just compared it against my potential one and looking at the front bumper pic it looks like it has front sensors included. Trying to find a similarly priced Premium Luxury with ivory interior and lower mileage. The search is on.
    if you can get vin number for any potential buy, you can check what it has included on topix site (register for free)

Am actually afraid to go and 'see' this high miler as I know I won't be able to walk away!
    can't blame you as I know the feeling!

Thanks for that. Just requested the VIN so waiting for email to come through. This forum is very helpful.Will update once I've had a look.

Thanks again

Thanks for that. Just requested the VIN so waiting for email to come through. This forum is very helpful.Will update once I've had a look.

Thanks again
    no worries, we are friendly bunch after all good luck hunting - waiting for the result

Email received and logged into TOPIx. This is what I see...

Drive RHD
    Version SERIES 13
    Transmission 8-Speed Automatic AWD
    Body style 4 DOOR SEDAN-6 LITE
    Engine 3.0L Diesel
    Colour STRATUS GREY
    Trim INTERIOR EBONY PACK

is that it? I was getting full list of things...maybe they changed something, I don't know. will check it but evening is the earliest for me.