XF Forum banner

XE AWD Announced

25K views 75 replies 12 participants last post by  jagular 
#1 ·
http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en-in/jaguar/news/2015/11/jag_xe_17my_press_pack_181115/

Land vehicle Vehicle Luxury vehicle Car Performance car

AT-A-GLANCE

• The award-winning Jaguar XE reinforces its status as the driver's car in its class
  • Enhanced all-weather traction and performance from torque on-demand all-wheel drive (AWD) system - Intelligent Driveline Dynamics preserves rear-wheel drive character and agility
  • Adaptive Surface Response distinguishes between different types of surface for even more assured AWD traction in all conditions
  • State-of-the-art InControl Touch Pro infotainment system with 10.2-inch tablet-style touchscreen offers intuitive operation, super-fast response times and intelligent navigation
  • Wi-Fi hotspot for up to eight devices and a suite of connected services
  • Apple Watch app offers remote functions including fuel level check, lock and unlock, and even remote engine starts
  • Meridian Digital Surround Sound system with 17 speakers and 825W
  • Already impressive range of advanced driver assistance systems gains Lane Keep Assist, Adaptive Speed Limiter and Driver Condition Monitor
  • Powerful, refined and efficient 180PS Ingenium diesel engine now available in North America
  • On sale from Spring 2016 (market dependent)
  • Click here to view or download the images
SUMMARY
The 2017 model year Jaguar XE
The Jaguar XE, already established as the most dynamic sports saloon in the mid-size segment, once again sets new standards in driver reward and offers an even wider range of state-of-the art technology.
The XE has received myriad global awards thanks to its unrivalled balance of ride, handling and refinement. The light, stiff, Advanced Aluminium Architecture, sophisticated suspension and powerful, efficient engines make the XE the driver's car in its class.
With the addition of InControl Touch Pro - Jaguar's next-generation infotainment system, torque on-demand all-wheel drive, F-TYPE-derived Configurable Dynamics and a wider range of advanced driver assistance systems, the XE delivers an even more compelling drive.
InControl Touch Pro is state-of-the-art and is designed around a tablet-style 10.2-inch touchscreen featuring highly responsive, superb quality graphics. With intelligent navigation that can tell others if you're running late, a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to eight devices and apps for wearable technology, the XE ensures that you're always connected.
All-wheel drive (AWD) was engineered into the XE from day one. Available exclusively with the 180PS Ingenium diesel and the 340PS supercharged V6 petrol engines and eight-speed automatic transmissions, AWD enhances vehicle dynamics and provides greater traction. Torque is only transferred to the front wheels when needed, maintaining the XE's inherent agility and rear-wheel drive character.
Adaptive Surface Response (AdSR) makes the AWD system even better by changing the mapping of the powertrain and Dynamic Stability Control system according to the conditions. AdSR leverages Jaguar Land Rover's world-leading expertise in AWD technologies and traction systems.
Together with class-leading chassis design, the unique combination of AWD, AdSR and the revolutionary All Surface Progress Control system gives the driver greater confidence in adverse conditions. The XE is the definitive all-weather sports saloon.
First developed for the F-TYPE, Configurable Dynamics is now offered in the XE and enables the driver to tailor the car's character by selecting individual settings for the throttle response, transmission shifts and the Adaptive Dynamics continuously-variable damping system.
The XE also benefits from an enhanced range of assistance systems including Lane Keep Assist and Driver Condition Monitor - a feature which can detect and warn against driver fatigue. The XE also offers the Adaptive Speed Limiter: an intelligent technology which can support the driver by increasing or decreasing vehicle speed when speed limits change.

See less See more
#2 ·
As a prospective buyer early next year of the new XF, I have now started to wonder how long it'll be before Jaguar introduce AWD to the range in the UK.

#3 · (Edited)
They key things in this announcement are:

1 - No Ingenium Petrol anywhere in sight in the 2017 model year. So likely they will be available no sooner than spring 2017 - which is a huge problem for Jaguar.

2 - No AWD in the volume seller (in North America) 2.0L Petrol - which is where BMW, Mercedes and Audi make a killing. This shows a real desperation from Jaguar trying to push their underpowered diesel and antiquated 3.0 SC technology in North America, most likely due to atrocious economics on what they need to pay Ford for the (also now aging) 1st gen Ecoboost engines.

So while the line up will improve in North America (with the F-Pace and XE), they are still seriously handicapped in powertrain.

#6 ·
They key things in this announcement are:

1 - No Ingenium Petrol anywhere in sight in the 2017 model year. So likely they will be available no sooner than spring 2018 - which is a huge problem for Jaguar.
I don't know if it's something American or it's just a sign of the times, but I'm always amazed at how early there is talk about next year's model. 2016 isn't even here yet, and already you are talking MY 2017. I don't know the industry from inside, but I can't see, how we can rule out Ingenium petrol engines next year. Jaguar are no doubt developing petrol versions at full speed. Probably also 6 cylinder and perhaps even 3 cylinder versions. Jaguar can't anticipate, how the development of the engines will go forward. They cannot promise non-finished engines. If something does not go as smoothly as planned, the engine might be delayed, which will anger costumers waiting for the engine. I can't see, why for instance Jaguar can't announce Ingenium petrol engines late 2016 for the MY 2017. They have been making the diesel engines for a year now. I am but a layman, but to me it should be possible to develop a petrol version in that time frame.

#4 ·
Nobody here wants a cheap Jaguar. The awd V6 will be the top seller. Nobody here cares if Jaguar never sells a four cylinder. Anyone wanting a four cylinder Jaguar will be looking to buy cheap and the Ford turbo four will be just fine for them.

Jaguar can build AWD with a four, the drivetrain is already there. But with the new all surface progress control it won't be needed. So who will want one?

#5 ·
Nobody here wants a cheap Jaguar. The awd V6 will be the top seller. Nobody here cares if Jaguar never sells a four cylinder. Anyone wanting a four cylinder Jaguar will be looking to buy cheap and the Ford turbo four will be just fine for them.
That's rather at odds with Jaguars aim to sell lots and lots of four cylinder cars at cheap (for Jaguar) prices. Probably their only salvation because they are no longer competitive when loaded with all the latest gizmos. That is other than giveaways in the States as they are doing.

#7 ·
I think the four cylinder engine will succeed in Europe but not in North America, for this class of car.

Assuming the V6 and V8 Ford built engines are to be dropped from Jaguar's line up (and Aston Martin seems to need Mercedes power to replace their two Ford built engines) then going back to an inline six, especially supercharged or turbocharged, would make sense for Jaguar marketers. Since the 2.0 Ingenium four is a doddle to make into an inline six I see that as inevitable. I don't see Jaguar building a six cylinder diesel to replace the Ford/Peugeot lump because the turbo fours will work fine in the new bodyshells and Europe seems bound and determined to save the planet single handedly. There's more power to be had from a four cylinder turbo diesel yet.

#12 ·
That is tire related. Means its fitted with all-season tires that are likely only "H" rated (130MPH). Very common to have cars with all-season tires speed limited to 120MPH-130MPH.

#11 · (Edited)
That's two engines and a diesel. A different chip does not a different engine make. Nobody is interested in Diesel engines in passenger cars in North America (around 4% of the market, including VW which dominated until recently). That's unlikely to change.

It will take genius marketing to sell four cylinder Jaguars in North America.

#13 ·
It will take genius marketing to sell four cylinder Jaguars in North America.
"It will take genius marketing to sell underpowered four cylinder Jaguars in North America without AWD." *** There, I fixed it for you. ***

Audi, Mercedes and BMWs sell tones of 4cyl premium cars in North America. Of course, they have AWD on offer and up to 385HP in their 2.0 4cyl engines currently on the market.

As for the genius marketing part, Jaguar already picked its horse. It is cheap prices and 5 years warranty to compensate for the atrocious powerpoint deficit. It is very likely to work reasonably well.

#16 ·
Well, the MY2017 XE is the first year it will be on sale in the US. So it is a big deal. In the Internet/blog age, we car freaks are talking about models 2-3 years out all the time.

Car buyers (at least some) these days have access to near perfect information, and that has completely changed the buyer/dealer/manufacturer relationship. That is why Tesla is having so much success with their direct to consumer model and frequent feature updates.

Cars, particularly sports/premium/high-performance cars are now more about entertainment value and engagement than transportation. Talking about the next 911 or Corvette is as much a part of car ownership as actually owning it.

#17 ·
Car buyers (at least some) these days have access to near perfect information, and that has completely changed the buyer/dealer/manufacturer relationship. That is why Tesla is having so much success with their direct to consumer model and frequent feature updates.
When you next have a coffee break I recommend you read Forbes Motor - The real reason why Tesla is still alive.

#21 ·
Thank you Bernard. :)

As for the Pro, ask also for the Logitech case incorporating keyboard. Just like having my old PC again except 4 millions times better :)

No doubt Baron will have chapter and verse on the Forbes article and give us his take on it in the fullness of time.

#25 · (Edited)
Tesla takes over yet another Jaguar thread. Customers for Tesla's of any sort are very rare whether as online shoppers or hunting for a showroom. Profits are rarer still.

I think the constant refrain that Jaguar sales are suffering because they lack an EV in their lineup is untenable.

The facts are that there are an inadequate number of customers to provide a viable market for what is claimed to be the market leader in EV. Furthermore, there is no profit to be had from the entire current market for EV. No reasonable businessman enters a none existent market to endure year after year of significant losses with no profit even in sight.

It's patently ridiculous to claim that Tesla can more easily enter the IC car market than the majors can enter the EV market. Say what? Developing and certifying a new car design is punishingly expensive. Almost nothing from the Tesla could be used for an equivalent IC car which would be much, much lighter and require all manner of completely different safety features and emission controls. The majors all have EV in development. Only the stupid ones are truly planning to build any for profitable sale. On,y with massive subsidies can EV be sold at anything approaching a reasonable loss per vehicle, no chance of profit.

No no that is the exclusive purview of governments and madmen. I found it interesting to note that Tesla earns up to $35K ( yup thousands not hundreds ) on each car it sells by selling emission credits to emitters. Most remarkable about this tidbit is this taxpayer financed subsidy is both far larger than any direct subsidy and Tesla still loses money on every car it makes. The market price of a Tesla is some 50% higher than its current selling price. Think about that for a moment. In effect, the poor taxpayer is funding fully one third of the sales price of an EV that can only be afforded by the well off.

#28 ·
I think the constant refrain that Jaguar sales are suffering because they lack an EV in their lineup is untenable.
In some places like Denmark, they are not just suffering, they are being decimated by Tesla. You can't give away an XJ in Denmark.

#26 · (Edited)
The Jaguar XE is to be released into the Canadian market in 2016. The XF was released in February of 2008 as a 2009 model, I know I bought one. The XE will undoubtably be released as a 2017 as our market allows it and unbelievably this defers the depreciation effect. Almost nobody here checks the build date or delivery date of a car they buy.

I just noted we can now build and price our XE on the Canadian website.

On on offer are two awd models only. We can get the Ingenium diesel for CDN $45,000.00 or the V6 SC petrol for CDN $48,000.00. The Sport V6 starts at only CDN $58K.

These are stunning prices for this level of car. However, dealerships can add freight and PDI of nearly $3K (!!!) AND and admin charge of nearly $500. So, how much do you really pay?

A $3K premium for the petrol V6 means very, very few diesels will reach Canada. I would say only the dealer mandated stock will get here. Showroom floor models plus a demo and one for stock, per dealer. Diesel cars are very unpopular here.

The XF is only available with the V6 petrol awd and starts at CDN$61K, usefully cheaper than the outgoing XF. XF base model appears to come with cloth upholstery which I am in favour of. Base XE looks like it comes with some sort of vinyl Luxtec? In other markets these plastic seats come with technical mesh inserts which would be barely acceptable here. Vinyl seats aren't going to cut it for our climate.

All current XF just dropped in value by a third I should guess.

I have not not tried to price an XE or XF I would actually consider buying, but the weekend is coming up.

#35 ·
Typical stirring/trolling from Baron. If everyone were to put him on ignore, this place might be more attractive to new posters. Calling the engine facility a "diesel plant" as in Muenster's quote is far from the truth. Has he been there recently and seen the tooling for the petrol Ingenium?

#40 ·
Calling the engine facility a "diesel plant" as in Muenster's quote is far from the truth.
The plant produces a single product - 2.0L diesel engine. Therefore, it is a diesel engine plant. It will remain a diesel engine plant, until such time as it starts to produce and ship a product that is not a diesel engine.

You can't say it is a hydrogen engine plant just because a some point in the future JLR might start producing such engines there.

#36 ·
Tesla is supported by taxpayers so rich customers can buy them for a price sort of competitive with IC cars. That's a waste of taxpayer money.
Not the case in the UK. Here the government face swingeing penalties if carbon targets are not met so subsidising EVs is thought by the government to be a wise use of taxpayer money. Incidentally, the commitment to subsidise has just been renewed in the latest Spending Review.

#37 ·
That really is circular reasoning. The government penalizes taxpayers by paying subsidies so rich people can buy Tesla's instead of Bentleys in order to avoid taxing those same taxpayers to pay self imposed penalties to Brussells. Um, where's the logic in that?

#39 ·
You guys are arguing about if it is good or bad policy for governments to subsidize EVs and all the green energy stuff.

That battle has been fought and won (or lost depending on your point of view).

You need to work in the world as it exists today. And today, governments like Denmark, California, et al have decided that they want to wheel barrels of money to the likes of Tesla.

You can whine about it or invest in Tesla and make money. Your choice.

As an automaker, Jaguar can decide to invest its R&D sterlings in diesel technology or EV technology. I think they chose the wrong one.

#50 ·
You need to work in the world as it exists today. And today, governments like Denmark, California, et al have decided that they want to wheel barrels of money to the likes of Tesla.

You can whine about it or invest in Tesla and make money. Your choice.
That's not completely true. I have been doing both, actually. And it has worked very fine, thank you ;-)

#53 ·
Let's test this logic for five seconds. So, Jaguar should have invested in a petrol engine plant when nobody in Europe was buying petrol engined Jaguars and Jaguar could buy as many perfectly good petrol engines it might need from Ford. Europe STILL wants to buy mainly Diesel engines and the legislation to discourage this STILL isn't even in draft yet. EU just postponed imposing any more rigorous emissions standards on diesels. Jaguar is now expanding the engine plant and will shortly build petrol engines there but mainly for other markets. Nope, wrong again.

#54 ·
Nope. JLR should do no such thing. They should have filled the holes in its powertrain line up first.

The biggest holes in their powertrain line up are:

1 - No hybrid powertrains - only full line manufacturer in the world to have no hybrid.

2 - Hi power turbocharged (vs aging and ridiculously fuel inefficient supercharged set ups) - only premium manufacturer not to have a turbo-petrol over 250HP.

For uninteresting, bread and butter 163-180HP diesel engines, JLR should go to a commodity supplier, since they add NOTHING to what is currently available from the cheap-o-matic 4cyl diesels.

#56 ·
Whose business acumen would you trust - that of a failed car dealer or that of Jaguar?
http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/06/19/why-hybrid-car-sales-are-stalling.html
Neither. Jaguar is a company that has been on its death bed and sold in distress multiple times, including being taken over by the government.

Car dealers, by and large, survive a few years before being sold in distress to another group who tries to make a go at it, then fail again.

Now, how about you give us some additional choices.

a) Jaguar

b) Failed dealership

c) BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Volvo, etc, etc, etc all of whom have advanced hybrid drives and advanced turbo petrol engines.

d) Tesla, who has achieved a market capitalization many multiples higher than Jaguar or Tata Motors ever have, in a short few years, without any previous automotive experience, by betting on electrification.

e) The Islamic State

#57 ·
Jaguar has always been a successful company. You are quite wrong that Jaguar was taken over by any government. In 1966 Jaguar merged with BMC, a privately owned corporation, not government owned. The British government stepped in only after the very unions they supported and who voted them into office destroyed the businesses that employed them. Nothing to do with Jaguar management's business acumen much less the skill of their engineers. Shortly after the British government stepped in to save the good assets from the wreckage the unions created Jaguar was sold to a private group who turned a nice profit selling to Ford. We all know that Ford was incompetently managed and had to sell all of the pieces of its PAG. Tata picked up what is obviously a very successful operation and is making a profit from it.

Again, your logic is completely flawed. Indeed, you are just completely wrong yet again. Why do you bother confirming your ignorance of the facts, repeatedly? Surely the wiser course would be to refrain from posting until you have your facts correct.

#58 ·
Not to choose sides, but I have often read stories and articles about Jaguar. It's my impression, that Jaguar has never been doing very well financially. Even back in the days of sir William Lyons, Jaguar was often in trouble.

#62 ·
Indeed. Reading the available information, the petrol engine manufacturing line should be now complete, ready to produce the first test engines before full production starts before the second half of next year. Since the major markets still want diesel engines in preference to petrol, the planning of JLR seems perfectly reasonable to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.