Voters
338. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. I have equipped my car with Winter/ All Weather Tyres

139 41.12%
  • 2. I am trying / will try to source a set

84 24.85%
  • 3. I am not convinced of their merit.

26 7.69%
  • 4. I use another equipped vehicle and need not use the XF in adverse conditions.

48 14.20%
  • 5. I am happy to use my skill to overcome any hazards encountered without winter tyres.

41 12.13%
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
    Quote Originally Posted by modelflyboy View Post
    I just love your posts Jagular......it’s just a whole different world over here!
    Like, here’s me trying to decide whether or not to fit my winters while piddling around with a few degrees above zero having not even experienced zero yet this year.
    So then the question begs what is the normal speed you run at?
    I just came back home from our west country at +2 to +4 degrees on summers (now +11 again) a 250mile drive at generally our national speed limit of 70mph in 5hrs.

In Norway a year or two ago in January I found the traffic running at 50mph on the open snow packed roads and 25mph in town, I covered about 150Km & never experienced a single breakaway.
    On that occasion my small hire car had tyres with just a few very subtle studs they seemed flush with the tread, while I noticed most large 4x4’s were fitted with big obvious studs.
    Being curious of course I looked closely at a lot of car tyres and noticed that small cars tended to be fitted with heavy tread tyres with no studs while large cars and 4x4’s were mostly studded.
    Hills in the towns were on average very much steeper than in UK & nobody ever got stuck!
    Buses on studs were running around the towns at normal UK speeds and I noticed the thickly iced roads were worn into ridges like corrugated iron, which I put down to the action of ABS.
    Busses in Norway are very much used by the public and are often standing room only, watch out when they are braking, you are thrown forward like the wheels are on tarmac!

In spite of the extreme difference in this situation & that of the UK it convinced me I had done the right thing in investing in winter wheels, they will be going on next week.
    I tend to drive at the enforced speed limit of roughly 20 km/hr over the posted limit. Often more. Winter or summer makes no difference.

Passenger car studded tires tend to use retracting studs. Exposed rigid studs give very poor grip on bare pavement. Studless winter tires are generally superior to studded tires unless you routinely drive on smooth ice. I've never driven on studded tires and very few drivers use them here.
    Currently 2013 XF V6 SC AWD Caviar on London Tan/Navy
    Sold my much loved '09 XF Lux Azure on Dove/Charcoal

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

My original wheels take 245/40 R19 98Y tyres and are in summer use. In the winter I swap to 18-inch rims and 245/45 R18 100V tyres. Optimum Michelins in both cases.

Having just done the summer to winter swap I am looking for a way to avoid this chore in future, especially as I am fearful of doing my back in when lifting the wheels onto my storage rack, which is at shoulder height. The summer tyres are at the end of their life, and if I leave the winter wheels on until those tyres have worn out (I am assuming that with my fairly sedate driving style the winter tyres will be safe in summer but will wear out quickly) I can then switch to all-season tyres. Or so I thought - but I haven't been able to find any all-season tyres available in 245/40 R19 98Y. For example Michelin CrossClimate+ don't come in that size.

Suggestions?

2011 XF 3.0d S

Quote Originally Posted by PTW View Post
    My original wheels take 245/40 R19 98Y tyres and are in summer use. In the winter I swap to 18-inch rims and 245/45 R18 100V tyres. Optimum Michelins in both cases.

Having just done the summer to winter swap I am looking for a way to avoid this chore in future, especially as I am fearful of doing my back in when lifting the wheels onto my storage rack, which is at shoulder height. The summer tyres are at the end of their life, and if I leave the winter wheels on until those tyres have worn out (I am assuming that with my fairly sedate driving style the winter tyres will be safe in summer but will wear out quickly) I can then switch to all-season tyres. Or so I thought - but I haven't been able to find any all-season tyres available in 245/40 R19 98Y. For example Michelin CrossClimate+ don't come in that size.

Suggestions?
    You are right about Michelin. They don't seem to make all-season tyres in your sizes. You can get 235/45 R19 or 245/45 R19. That is not far of. You could also use your 18" wheel. I have to sets of 18" wheels, and they are not bad. You can get CrossClimate+ in the correct size 245/45 R18 100Y. Y is for 186 mph, so that should be sufficient

I had a look at the webpage of a local tyre center. They have these:

BRIDGESTONE A005 XL 245/40 R19 98Y

VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL 245/40 R19 98Y

I don't know anything about those tires. I think, experts have often warned agains all-season tyres, since they are neither good in summer nor in winter. I have heard, that the Michelin CrossClimate is the first tyre, which is really suited for all-year use. But I don't know. If you have a sedate driving style, and the weather is not too cold and icy in the winter, you would probably do allright with these tyres.
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark
    MY2009 XF Premium Luxury 4.2 V8 petrol, lunar gray, dove leather.
    Previous: MY2012 XF Luxury 2.2 (190 ps) diesel, azurite blue, barley leather.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks Henrik - the Bridgestones are a definite possibility. For some reason none of the first three websites I tried showed them in my sizes, but I have now found them. I'm tempted to use the 18 inch rims, as the ride on my winter wheels is just that bit more comfortable than the 19 inch summer ones, and my going-round-corners-on-two-wheels days are probably over.

2011 XF 3.0d S

Quote Originally Posted by Muenster View Post
    You can get 235/45 R19 or 245/45 R19. That is not far off.
    I'm unsure of the effects of using tyres narrower (235) than the rims. And I would have thought taller ones (245) might rub and presumably would change the speedometer calibration.

2011 XF 3.0d S