Oh Mr Jaguar,what should i do? I wanted a New XF but you are making it very difficult . - Page 25
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    Quote Originally Posted by xfluxury View Post
    AWD system, Gearbox, Engine (in S and Turbo models), Brakes to name a few...
    The diesel is just a Q5. The gearbox is the same design as Audi uses, built by ZF I believe. The Q5 comes with the much better planetary automatic which you can't get on the Macan. The steel sprung Macan is exactly the same. The brakes are the same except you get larger front brakes on the Macan so you can impress your neighbours, assuming that they like most people have no idea how brakes work.

When the wheelbase and suspension pick up points are the same it us the same. Platform engineering is not quite the same thing as sticking a different engine and gearbox into a car. The "platform" is not just the same it is identical.

Sure, you can get bits and bobs on your Macan that you would have to add to your Q5 but basically Porsche is building a Q5 variant. I'm willing to bet you can fit any Macan bit to your Q5 should you wish to waste your money.
    Last edited by jagular; 25-06-15 at 14:58.
    Currently 2013 XF V6 SC AWD Caviar on London Tan/Navy
    Sold my much loved '09 XF Lux Azure on Dove/Charcoal

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Now Jaguar is using platform engineering in a clever way to reduce costs but produce different vehicles for different customers.

All their new models will be based on the XE so they will for once in their history build only one vehicle but in different sizes and configurations. The only odd man out is the F Type but at least it uses the same construction method and components, only the platform is different and much older.

The new XJ will return the styling of this model more towards the signature style Callum has rated with the XE. However, as the limited production top model the XJ will be strikingly different in some respect. The market for these headline large cars is shrinking fast and significantly but should not disappear altogether. By pursuing aluminum chassis with across the line components Jaguar should be able to make a profit on each XJ they build no matter how small that market turns out to be.
    Currently 2013 XF V6 SC AWD Caviar on London Tan/Navy
    Sold my much loved '09 XF Lux Azure on Dove/Charcoal

Just priced up a new XF with exactly the same options as fitted to my current XF, £59,565. Ouch and £35000 more than I paid for a 3 year old barley run in version.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Well I waited for the new XF but was disappointed to find that you couldn't get an 'All New XF' 3 litre Portfolio in the UK so I've purchased an 18 month old 3 litre Diesel S Portfolio and saved a few quid!
    Current: Rhodium Silver 3.0 Portfolio S with Sunroof, Parking pack with camera, Blind Spot etc..
    Previously: Lunar Grey 2.7 PL with Carelia alloys and Parking Pack with Camera

I am with you AndyB .I too waited for the new XF, and like you I have now decided to go for a used XFS facelift. Its not just the price, it is the downgrading of the interior quality, and to not even offer the full sport seats, as in the outgoing model, that finished my interest in the new car.Jaguar have to make the business work, but not at the expense of quality and customer choice.

Having had the opportunity over the weekend to take a closer look at a new model XFS, I have to agree with p.greg.
    Whilst less important in the lower spec versions, when compared to my previous 2010 MY XFS Portfolio, the whole interior from what I could see had been cheapened in nearly all respects.
    I accept the technology has now been brought up to date, but not surprisingly is starting to struggle against the new E Class, the car just seems to have lost that specialness that the old model had.
    In fact if you don't need the interior space an XES is the nicer looking car!
    Last year I was choosing between a new and yet unseen XF, which my dealer told me was a definite step up in quality from the XE which disappointed me and which clearly it's not, or go with a new Maserati Ghibli diesel.
    Quite apart from the ICTP delays, the Ghbli when specced up has all the 'specialness' that I remember from my first Jaguar - an XJ6 which I bought new in 1995. Any short comings with that car vanished in the feel good factor you had when you looked at it, sat in it, and drove it. In the same way as the Maserati, which I am pleased to say has so far proved totally reliable.
    In hindsight and having now looked more closely at the XF, it seems I made the right decision. By the way I had been a Jaguar owner for some 20 years, and I fear this change in direction by the company, could mean a change of brand by other long time Jaguar owners.
    Regards
    Keith