Is the XF the car for me...? - Page 2
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Drive my Subaru BRZ to get its winter tires fitted. Ambient was around minus 10C with snow and ice everywhere. Those Michelin Pilot A/S 3 are simply unbelievable. Back to back with the Pireli Sottozeros driven in the same conditions moments later and there wasn't a lot to choose. I never woukd have believed an all season tire could deliver that level of winter performance. It has to be the tread compound because the tread pattern looks useless for ice. Continental DWS are comparable with better winter performance but less capable in summer.

The Evoque is a Kuga. It is a triumph of style over substance. Nice car but over priced, and intentionally so. Great marketing.

I drove my first (and only) Kuga in early summer from Stratford into the Cotswolds. I insisted on a Focus but apparently Stratford Budget gets too many Americans so they only stocked the Kuga. Awd capability is irrelevant for UK roads (odd then that the British build the most capable awd systems) so I was set to be disappointed. The Kuga is a great drive for its type. And because it had a very good awd system I didn't hesitate to park it on a sodden verge to visit the Roman village somewhere near the Cotswolds. Only a second or two to actually experience the awd system but it is excellent. In fact the Kuga is so good Ford now builds it as the Escape over here for North America and it's the best soft roader currently available here. Of course the same awd system is available in the less popular but even better Ford Fusion based on your Mondeo.

I particularly enjoyed the description of what an XF is like to drive daily:

"Very relaxed, unaggressive but not slow". Exactly how my XF makes me feel. The car is so capable it makes quick driving effortless in any conditions. I refer to it as my rush hour cocoon.
    Currently 2013 XF V6 SC AWD Caviar on London Tan/Navy
    Sold my much loved '09 XF Lux Azure on Dove/Charcoal

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator
    "Very relaxed, unagressive but not slow"
    How my XF makes me feel. "The car is so capable it makes quick driving effortless in any conditions. I refer to it as my rush hour cocoon"
    Are you reading these quotes Jaguar Marketing

"Very relaxed, unaggressive and slow" is exactly what I'm looking for!

The Focus handles very well but the most exciting gadget on it is air conditioning and its aforementioned Quickclear windscreen. I'm looking for something that will be more luxurious (dare I say, grown up?) but will also put a smile on my face when I put the foot down.

Having test driven A3s in the past, which understeered horribly, the A5 may be the same. Plus the XF is such a better looking car. The C-Class is hugely uninspiring and I've never liked the BMW styling of the previous 3-Series.

When telling people what cars I'm looking at, I get the classic "Jags are old man cars". However, I will happily drive an "old man car" if it ticks all the boxes which jagular lists!
    On the lookout for my first XF - research ongoing!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Jaguar no longer builds old man cars.

The top line XJ drives like soft riding sportscar. Truly, if size isn't an issue the XJ is the best Jaguar ever.

The new XE and new XF will complete the set of superb drivers cars.
    Currently 2013 XF V6 SC AWD Caviar on London Tan/Navy
    Sold my much loved '09 XF Lux Azure on Dove/Charcoal

Is the XF the car for me...?

Not got much to add as I've only owned a 2.2 for 7 days and I just can't get out of it.

I'm currently in Austria skiing and have fitted a decent set of winter tyres to the 18". I've notice a little more road noise , however a small price to pay for safety.

FWD, RWD, and AWD have different driving characteristics and these you will only get used to by driving the car.

The snow button work a treat with the winter tyres. Like it was said above, the 2.2 tends to jump gears when not expected, I've found the if left in S mode this does not happens as much, however left in the Driving mode it would be to easy to drop a gear and spin out.

6x6 seat are the worst I've ever had. No support for us back sufferers.

I would also suggest the meridian sound system as the stock system is awful. Tiny, no base and just not loud enough for my daughters frozen request.

I have a few regrets with the accessories, I don't have regrets about buying the XF.

I'm driving a 2009 (MY10) 3.0D Luxury (with 76k) since March this year on 18 inch wheels. (So no winter experiences to share yet - but i wont be getting winter tyres)

I agree with Robbain with regard to specs. Honestly I knew nothing about the range of specs offered until after I was seduced by the car, more fool me eh! With hindsight I would skip the luxury spec and make sure have the upgraded seats (the standard ones are fine for me on short journeys ie work and back, but while away on motorways etc found it a bit uncomfortable), the reversing camera and front parking sensors would be very useful too. Upgraded audio would be welcome,(my Focus Titanium's Sony unit sounded better) also watch out for cars without USB/ipod connections. If you are going for a facelift model (sounds like you might given the budget) the USB thing might not be a problem.

As my budget was for the "classic" there was only the choice of 2.7l D original engine or subsequent 3.0D. Luckily I was able to get the 3.0D Its smooth and fast enough in Drive and the gearbox options make the most of it. (Generally I leave it in Dynamic mode which sharpens up the changes without being too agressive) If you've not driven an auto for a while you may initially think its a bit slushy and possibly noisy. When I took my test drive, the engine was cold and I was a bit concerned that it wasn't for me. (Was getting rid of a manual petrol) Once warmed up (in common with most autos) things improve greatly. What sold it to me in the end was when I switched to sport mode and started using the paddles and while going briskly down some bendy country lanes. These things can ride and handle! - sure there's a bit of roll but the car is so stable, and as per the excellent "marketing" quotes previously it goes about it all in a relaxed manner but not in anyway slow!

I can understand why many people have taken the 4 Cylinder diesel approach now that its available, it does cut fuel and tax bills but insurance will still be high whichever model you go for. I'm averaging about 34mpg on my regular hilly, 1/2 hour each way commute. While on a long trip including Motorways and everything else I averaged 43. I have had no problems with the DPF by the way. I must be doing just long enough journeys to let it regenerate. If I was travelling any less I'd go back to a petrol though.

I am hoping I can get up to 100k on the clock without any major issues. Nothing untoward so far -touch wood! Afterall there is no Warranty for me!

Good luck with your search!
    Ex 2009 XF 3.0D Vapour Grey, Luxury ,Barley Interior now 2014 Seat Leon

Great, thanks very much guys.

So, what I need to do is:
    a) Go for a test drive to see whether I enjoy driving the car/can cope with the driving demands of a diesel
    b) If a) works, make up my mind whether it will be a 2.2 or a 3.0
    c) Look for models with 12x12 seats - are these standard on any particular specifications?
    d) Try to get one with the Parking Pack
    e) Look for models with up to 19" wheels for the best compromise of looks/ride quality
    f) Try to get one with the upgraded Meridian sound system
    g) Tell my friends who say that Jags are "old man cars" to "reassess their thoughts" (or words to that effect)

For specification, is there a big leap between Luxury/Premium Luxury/Portfolio? I keep looking for an easy to decipher chart of what is standard on each spec - any pointers would be great.
    On the lookout for my first XF - research ongoing!

Hi Bobby

I've owned my 2.2 sport since may this year and i'll add my thoughts as follows

The seat is ok. i have suffered with back problems and i'll be honest after a couple of weeks i thought i'd done the wrong thing as it was playing up again. However after a bit of fiddling and sitting a little lower than i'm used to and a little closer i'm finding it very comfortable now. That said i borrowed an S the other day with the 12 way seats and they were fabulous straight away

I opted for a demo car as some of the extra kit was on there without the hideous loss from buying from new, i just needed to be mentally flexible

The 20" hydra rims look great. The ride is hardly different to a friends on 18"

I will be putting my winter wheels / tyres on soon as even if it doesn't snow they will aid traction and braking through the winter. I'll keep everyone informed as to the difference

Meridian sound system is great. But if you don't need a high quality sound system i'd be flexible its only better than the basic if you know the difference

Parking pack is a must

The cold weather pack has proved to be useful over the last few day (mainly the heated screen)

I've had more comments about this car than pretty much any other i have owned, generally all are very positive

I love driving, but i do a lot of miles so the 2.2 was really my only choice. The 3.0 i tried was fun but the trade off wasn't enough, especially when a remap will get you to nearly the same power with alot less mpg

All this is based on 16500 miles since i've owned it.
    XF 2.2 Sport 200ps. Amethyst Black. 20" Hydra Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyfrog View Post
    Great, thanks very much guys.

So, what I need to do is:
    a) Go for a test drive to see whether I enjoy driving the car/can cope with the driving demands of a diesel
    b) If a) works, make up my mind whether it will be a 2.2 or a 3.0
    c) Look for models with 12x12 seats - are these standard on any particular specifications?
    d) Try to get one with the Parking Pack
    e) Look for models with up to 19" wheels for the best compromise of looks/ride quality
    f) Try to get one with the upgraded Meridian sound system
    g) Tell my friends who say that Jags are "old man cars" to "reassess their thoughts" (or words to that effect)

For specification, is there a big leap between Luxury/Premium Luxury/Portfolio? I keep looking for an easy to decipher chart of what is standard on each spec - any pointers would be great.
    babyfrog - The XF Specification brochure that you can get at your Jaguar dealer will give you a good description and comparison of the various XF model specs. I would certainly opt for the rear camera instead of the Meridian sound system if I had to choose. Good luck in your search.

XF 2.0D 180PS Portfolio MY17
    Polaris White/Jet Windsor/Figured Ebony/Jet Headlining.
    TV, Heated Steering Wheel, Blind Spot Monitoring, ICTP.

Bobbyfrog wants a faceliftet model, but has been told to avoid MY2011, he writes in this first post. The faceliftet model came out with MY2012. That means, the first ones were sold around September 2011. Mine is from November 2011, and it's certainly faceliftet.

If you are buying a secondhand XF, it will probably be one of the earlier ones like MY2012. Back then, Jaguar used B&W for their premium stereo systems and not Meridian. I even think there were two versions at different prices and Watts. I think it was in 2013, Jaguar changed supplier to Meridian. Just so that you don't go searching for a car with a Meridian sound system. The B&W systems were also great, as far as I know. I only have the standard Jaguar system in mine. It is true, that the sound is a bit thin without much bass. On the other hand it is very clear and well sounding. Other cars may have more bass, but the sound is a bit muddy. In many ways, I prefer the clear sound, where I can hear all instruments and voices.

In the winter, I can't say I have felt much difference from my old cars. If you drive sensibly and don't go near the limit, you won't really feel, whether the car understeers, oversteers or what. I have always driven front wheel drive cars before. On a couple of occasions earlier in my life, I have had quite a scare, when I drove a rear wheel drive car. In a front wheel drive car, you can accelerate a little going out of a curve or a turn, but a rear wheel drive car can easily loose the rear, if it's slippery. Some thirty odd years ago, as a young man, I almost crashed the Opel Kadett City (Vauxhall Chevette) of a friend's mother in the winter. I was used to my own mother's front wheel drive VW Polo, so I was quite unprepared, when the rear end broke out on a narrow city street with parked cars. Fortunately I managed to avoid an accident. Some years ago I suddenly found myself drifting around a roundabout in my father's Jaguar XJ, when the road was a little wet. That was also quite a scare, but it must have looked good from outside.

These days all cars have ESP and other systems to avoid skidding, so those scares should be something of the past. I can't say, I have experienced any trouble in the winter with my XF whatsoever. I can even loose the rear end on purpose just to make a little fun, when going round a turn in the snow. I have had my XF for three winters, and at least the two first ones were quite harsh. Over here almost everybody has winter tires. I use Pirelli Zottozeros, but they are probably not much different to other known brands. So in my experience, the XF performs well in the winter.

When the faceliftet XF came out, Jaguar started selling them with 17" wheels probably to save money. I had those wheels fitted with winter tyres and bought a set of 19" wheels for the summer. My father has two sets of 18" wheels on his XF. I don't think, there is a lot of difference in ride quality. I do tell myself, that the smaller sizes feel a little softer and the larger sizes are harder over small, sharp edges in the road. The difference is mostly felt at low speed in town. But perhaps it's just because I know, which wheels are on the car. At higher speeds, I don't really notice a difference when driving around normally. Perhaps you could tell a difference in steering precision going around a track at high speed.
    Kind regards
    Henrik Münster, Denmark
    MY2009 XF Premium Luxury 4.2 V8 petrol, lunar gray, dove leather.
    Previous: MY2012 XF Luxury 2.2 (190 ps) diesel, azurite blue, barley leather.