Insurance for 're-mapped' XF
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.

Insurance for 're-mapped' XF

Good Morning

I bought a 2010 XF 3.0D three months ago, and overall I am delighted with it.

Whilst browsing through the pages in here, I came across Celtic Tuning and the re-maps that they offer.
    Celtic have given me two quotes, one for their 'Economy' tune and one for their 'Fast Road'

The Economy tune is of particular interest to me, an additional 40bhp, and a couple of extra MPG as well sounds too good to be true.

BUT

I have waited until my Insurance renewal (29 August) because I want to remain within the law and be up front and honest about things.

My Insurer, IAM Surety, have now informed me that "their insurers will not accept any modifications that increase the BHP by more than 10%" Particuarly unhelpful as the 'S' version of this car already produces 275bhp so I don't suppose any maps will provide Less than this??

Any guidance or assistance will be gratefully received !!!

Jon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Check out my reply to your similar post in another thread. Sounds like you need to speak to either a broker with a wider panel, or to an insurer.

I am with Liverpool Victoria and also had the remap done a couple of weeks ago with Celtic. I was charged an additional premium of £25 until November, I also had my windows tinted which increased this by an additional £13, without issue. There are a number of brokers who will support modifications and also go to a compare site and add the modifications there and see the results.

Hope this helps
    Dave
    Dave

MY14 XJ Portfolio, Polaris White / Jet interior, Rear Entertainment, Front Massage Seats, Chrome foot pedals and rest.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

My wife's car has been tuned from 140 to 195 BHP. (A3 TDI). We use a broker normally which works well. We used one of the online comparison sites one year which the broker could not match. I seek lots of torque low down in the rev range for effortless progress. The custom map on my wife's car could have produced a torque spike giving over 200 BHP. However, I went for a flatter torque output with a lower maximum BHP.

My XF was remapped again to focus on low down torque. (The engine was also noticeably smoother after the remap). The BHP increase is less than 10%. My insurer, my bank, isn't bothered by it, however they will not insure the Audi. Same drivers and slower than my XF. Go figure?

CJC
    2012 MY XF 3.0D S Portfolio. Azurite Blue with Black interior.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    My wife's car has been tuned from 140 to 195 BHP. (A3 TDI). We use a broker normally which works well. We used one of the online comparison sites one year which the broker could not match. I seek lots of torque low down in the rev range for effortless progress. The custom map on my wife's car could have produced a torque spike giving over 200 BHP. However, I went for a flatter torque output with a lower maximum BHP.

My XF was remapped again to focus on low down torque. (The engine was also noticeably smoother after the remap). The BHP increase is less than 10%. My insurer, my bank, isn't bothered by it, however they will not insure the Audi. Same drivers and slower than my XF. Go figure?

CJC
    So is your wife a " girl racer" or what
    Sounds like the ideal wife, a remap for her and one for you, result

I just took the advice of plugging in a chipped bhp mod (11%-25% power increase) on a price comparison site. £381 became £681.

That would be a game changer for me in deciding whether to do it or not.
    2013 XF 3.0D S Portfolio, Polaris White, black pack inc black Kalimnos wheels, black interior

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by simonpj145 View Post
    I just took the advice of plugging in a chipped bhp mod (11%-25% power increase) on a price comparison site. £381 became £681.

That would be a game changer for me in deciding whether to do it or not.
    Can you recall the questions that were asked in order to assess the new risk ?

I selected yes to modifications and then ticked "Engine chip 11-25% inc BHP". So scientific in terms of that site, two new quotes with just one difference, but obviously no additional shopping around done.

Led to a change in insurer so possibly cheapest insurer first time declined to quote second time...

Now looked in more detail - the cheapest insurer for the chipped quote was £95 more than they quoted on an unchipped basis.
    2013 XF 3.0D S Portfolio, Polaris White, black pack inc black Kalimnos wheels, black interior

£95 extra per year is nothing in comparison to the costs of running these cars. For the extra smiles on your face from the map it is money well spent.

Did you check to see how much extra an up to 10% increase would be?

If if you buy a Range Rover 3.0 D it has 295 BHP, it's basically the same engine and gearbox so very difficult for JLR to argue the map has caused any damage if you have any problems.

go for it and enjoy.
    2012 MY XF 3.0D S Portfolio. Azurite Blue with Black interior.

Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    £95 extra per year is nothing in comparison to the costs of running these cars. For the extra smiles on your face from the map it is money well spent.

Did you check to see how much extra an up to 10% increase would be?

If if you buy a Range Rover 3.0 D it has 295 BHP, it's basically the same engine and gearbox so very difficult for JLR to argue the map has caused any damage if you have any problems.

go for it and enjoy.
    Sorry I wasn't clear enough. It's £300 extra as the cheapest quote without the mod was only £381 with a different insurer. Simon