XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only had one test drive in the XF and that was around town, the engine seemed very quiet with little diesel clatter. Is this the case in day to day driving ? What's it like when it's cold and does it sound nice under hard acceleration or does it become clattery? Excuse my curiosity, I have three and a half months to kill!!

Oh and final question, did your orders come early? I've been told delivery 10th October.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi I have a two week old 3.0 Ds and the engine is a peach, very smooth and extremly quiet.

I would go so far as to say its as smooth as a BMW petrol six, a few years since i have had one, but I always remember these as being smooth and the XF 3.0 is very similar).

On balnce I would say its a refined and classy tone and not in any way a typical diesel sound.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You can certainly hear it's a diesel when on tick over, and particularly when the engine is cold. However whilst driving there is no diesel clatter in the car and under hard acceleration it even sounds quite 'meaty'.

Regarding delivery times, mine came through approx 4 weeks earlier than I was first told, hope yours does too!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree it is very quiet compared to my wifes Xtype 2.0D
With regard to ordering mine was 7 weeks from order to collection at the dealers

·
Registered
162 Posts
Myself and my brother ordered on the advice that they would be arriving mid september. We want them on the new reg hence our decision to place the order.

So actually Im hoping mine is at least 9 weeks! :lol:

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Going back to the question of engine noise, as a 2.7 owner, I am surprised to read comments that the 3.00 engine is plainly a diesel on tick over or when cold. From the outside that might be true but even then it is not significant in my opinion.
So many people that have travelled in my car have been amazed to discover that it is has a diesel engine. True, most have not been particularly interested and I think that most peoples perception of a diesel engine is based on sounds heard on the street of older cars and lorries.
I think mine is beautifully smooth and quiet :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to say the car we went out in never sounded 'diesely' even from outside at start up, but there was alot of background traffic noise at the time so hard to be certain.

Wonder why I'm being quoted 14 weeks delivery???

Pekam if i wasn't such a superstitious git, I'd have Botanical Green, it looks stunning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was quoted 8-10 weeks when I place the order and the car arrived in just over 4, The dealer had a stock car on order that he changed the spec on I believe. So maybe worth asking them again or trying elsewhere. Mine was from Ipswich, they gave a good service pre sales service, just strting on post sale with 1 minor issue so we will see.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Blade said:
I have to say the car we went out in never sounded 'diesely' even from outside at start up, but there was alot of background traffic noise at the time so hard to be certain.

Wonder why I'm being quoted 14 weeks delivery???

Pekam if i wasn't such a superstitious git, I'd have Botanical Green, it looks stunning.
I have never understood that one after the success of British Racing Green as an auto colour. :)
It would be interesting to make a comparison between the noise emanating from a diesel and that from a 3 Litre SV8. It would be different, but more or less obtrusive :?:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I can't agree that the 3.0D sounds like a diesel on tickover.
Even outside the car, many people have been surprised to learn the engine is in fact a diesel (mostly BMW owners) :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have owned by 3.0D for one month now, even I struggle to remember that it's not a Petrol but a Diesel. In my option, it doesn't sound like one nor perform like one.

Having always owned a Petrol car, this is my first Diesel and I still struggle to believe it really is a Diesel.... You want be disappointed, trust me!

Regards to sound, its sounds like what a V6 should!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Trust me..I'm driving a VW diesel at the moment and the XF sounds nothing like it. Even my cousin's BMW diesel is much noisier than the XF I test drove.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had my 3.0 for a month now and it does sound diesel-y on tickover which seems set at 750 rpm - does that that seem a bit fast? I also find that the gear change 1 to 2 is rough (or is that just me putting my foot down too hard?).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts