XF Forum banner

3.0 Petrol or 2.7 Diesel

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Tone the Bone 
#1 ·
Greetings everyone, this is my first post for this forum. I was keeping in touch with here but now I'm a member.
Test driving is not available in my country so i have to take a chance, which one is "Faster"? In technical specifications 2.7D is a bit faster than 3.0 petrol but AutoCar and some other magazines say that petrol version is faster and livelier than diesel. I'm so confused and requesting help from you. Which one should i prefer?

#2 ·
Hi funkmaster,
Welcome to the forum :)
You don't say which country you are in. It is interesting that you are not able to take a test drive there. Certainly, the petrol engined car is going to be quicker generally but again you don't say which model is available to you.
Please consider completing a little of the Profile section so that everyone will know where in the world you are and I am sure that the Petrol XF owner's, mainly I think in the Middle and Far East, will be pleased to share their experiences :)

#3 ·
pekem said:
Certainly, the petrol engined car is going to be quicker generally but again you don't say which model is available to you.
how do you come to that conclusion? OK so the diesel has bhp compared to of the petrol but it gets to 60 in .1 of a second less but unless your car has launch control I challenge you to be able to replicate those times in the real world. Useability is about torque and the diesel has bucket loads more than the petrol so whilst the diesel may feel a bit sluggish off the line on the move the situation is reversed until it reaches the top end where the petrol will inch away with a couple MPH more top speed.

My advice would be to go for the diesel but order the new 3.0 diesel which will be delivered from March

#4 ·
pekem said:
Hi funkmaster,
Welcome to the forum :)
You don't say which country you are in. It is interesting that you are not able to take a test drive there. Certainly, the petrol engined car is going to be quicker generally but again you don't say which model is available to you.
Please consider completing a little of the Profile section so that everyone will know where in the world you are and I am sure that the Petrol XF owner's, mainly I think in the Middle and Far East, will be pleased to share their experiences :)
i'll handle it ;)
i'm in Turkey so distrubitor doesn't allow a test drive, so i need a chance you know :| i'm between 3.0 petrol and 2.7 diesel and searching for an agreeable answer.

#6 ·
Not sure the choice is down to performance only (explained well in previous posts).
I bought the diesel but wish I had had the petrol now. My journey patterns changed after the order was placed and I have to say the DPF issue with the diesel is a problem now I am mostly doing very short journeys The economy is also disappointing (an effect of the short journeys) and diesel is around 15% more expensive in the UK then petrol (can anyone explain that to me - there only used to be a penny or two difference between diesel and petrol ??)

#12 ·
Hello Pal,
I got my XF 3L v6 pearl grey petrol yesterday; to be honest with you it is truely a dream to drive :D; I had indeed test driven the 2.7d as well; unlike many I found the petrol a better drive; plus most of all my trips are shot and quick; so I did not whant the hassle of DPF clearing etc :roll: .So all the best go for it. You can see my new pictures if you check my recent posts. adios Shalako

#14 ·
I've said this before, but for me the diesel is always really a compromise. I think if everyone was absolutely honest with themselves they would really prefer a good ole petrol engine to push them along. In the UK there's lots of challenges like fuel cost and tax that tilts the decision in the favour of diesel. But take these away and the diesel won't get a look in. In the middle east you can't even get a diesel version, simply because the dealers don't stock because no one will buy. It's as simple as that. Take away the challenges and its petrol everytime regardless of performance. Mines the 4.2V8 and I still get the shivers everytime I hear the engine tone. My advice is, if cost is not a challenge, buy the petrol, you'll not regret it for a moment and you'll always feel that little bit better going along the road knowing it's there. Controversial I know, but that's my opinion.

#15 ·
Shalako said:
so I did not want the hassle of DPF clearing etc :roll: .
I have a 2.7D and the DPF warning first arose when my car was pretty new, I thought it would be every two weeks, and thought it was going to be a pain.

But that one incidence was the only time DPF has needed "burning off". I sometimes go two weeks doing only short journeys, but I have done 9,000 miles in the 9 months plus I have had the car [and it was off the road for three weeks].

A fast motorway run when you achieve 40+mpg is also satisfying. [Although a 3 litre diesel BMW would probably get nearer 50mpg!! ]

Happy Christmas to all my readers :D

Regards,

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.