XF Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XF R-Dynamic HSE P300 AWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the trigger on an order for the new 2021 XF to replace my 2010 XF 3.0D S.

The only thing that bothered me about the old car was the 20" wheels - I was always paranoid about hitting potholes and kerbs and damaging the rims because there is so little rubber. So I'm thinking about downgrading the wheels on the new car from std 20" to 19" so they are a bit more forgiving on the dodgy London roads and high kerbs.

I've been researching online to figure out if this is a good idea or not; if the downgrade will make any difference; will the downgrade change the ride or noise levels; does anyone else have similar experience with 20" vs 19" wheels. But I'm still undecided so I'm looking for some advice to nudge me one way or the other.

Am I mad because the 20" looks so beautiful and the downgrade would make very little difference, or would the downgrade be sensible considering the state of roads in UK?

What do you think?

P.S. Sorry for posting a question in the welcome forum but it's the only forum I was permitted to post into - despite being a member since 2011!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had 20" on my first 2 XFs. Was forever kerbing them, denting them in potholes and even burst a tyre. Plus, they had the knack of occasionally looking flat even though they weren't. I have 19" on my current 2019 reg. Not noticed any diff in ride quality or road noise but they have stopped looking flat :)

20" do look cool though.

·
Registered
2021 XF R-Dynamic HSE P300 AWD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had 20" on my first 2 XFs. Was forever kerbing them, denting them in potholes and even burst a tyre. Plus, they had the knack of occasionally looking flat even though they weren't. I have 19" on my current 2019 reg. Not noticed any diff in ride quality or road noise but they have stopped looking flat :)

20" do look cool though.
Thanks - I pulled the trigger with the 20" 5036 wheels - style over practicality won the day!

Reactions: TimC

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
its all about how you drive near kerbs :p in my 6 years with 20s, kerbed 1 wheel only once, managed to damage 2 rims (massive pothole at 70mph...), but they were fixable. never burst a tyre - even while damaging them two rims, which was quite surprise.

see you got sportbrake in carpathian grey(y) my fav combo is eiger (or something like that) grey with black pack and white/black interior

1 - 4 of 4 Posts