XF Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I recently got my first XF, a white 2018 Portfolio.
I'm finding that air conditioning is really fierce. After driving for about 45 mins, both my wife and I find we are getting dry mouths and sore throats!
It is obviously doing its job in cooling the air ( I keep it at around 20.5C) but should it have such a strong effect?
Or is there something that might need tweaking?

Paul
Cambridge

·
Registered
332 Posts
The blower is probably set to 'Auto'. This can be changed within the climate setting on the touchscreen (To view the CLIMATE SETTINGS menu, select Climate from the SETTINGS menu.) and you can select LOW, MEDIUM or HIGH. It sounds like you may prefer the LOW setting. Iit may take a little longer to cool a hot car, but I find maintaining a set temperature is fine and results in less noise and softer air blowing within the cabin.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
on hot days inside temp shouldn't be too much different from outside, otherwise you are risking constant sore throat etc.i always tend to keep temp the same or 1 degree lower than outside, works a treat.

obviously that's for temps outside in range of 20-27 as air con (don't know about my18) can be set up to 27 i think, then it goes to high setting, whatever that is

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The blower is probably set to 'Auto'. This can be changed within the climate setting on the touchscreen (To view the CLIMATE SETTINGS menu, select Climate from the SETTINGS menu.) and you can select LOW, MEDIUM or HIGH. It sounds like you may prefer the LOW setting. Iit may take a little longer to cool a hot car, but I find maintaining a set temperature is fine and results in less noise and softer air blowing within the cabin.
Many thanks. I will give that a try this weekend!

Paul

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Always use Auto, unless the windows are misting up or something. But in everyday use, alway put it in Auto. If you don't like the inside climate, change the temperature. Your setting seems to be way too low. Most say, that 22 is the standard, but it varies from car to car. In the summer, you are wearing thinner clothes, so you can set the temperature higher in the summer. I also have a VW ID.3, and it feels too cold in the summer, if I keep it on 22, with a strong blow of cold air coming out the central vents. So I put it on 23 or 24, when it's hot. My XF is normally on 22 all the time. Cars are different.

Reactions: dyrlege

·
Registered
176 Posts
on hot days inside temp shouldn't be too much different from outside, otherwise you are risking constant sore throat etc.i always tend to keep temp the same or 1 degree lower than outside, works a treat.

obviously that's for temps outside in range of 20-27 as air con (don't know about my18) can be set up to 27 i think, then it goes to high setting, whatever that is
That cheered me up no end down here in Australia, where temps reach 47 on hot days...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Always use Auto, unless the windows are misting up or something. But in everyday use, alway put it in Auto. If you don't like the inside climate, change the temperature. Your setting seems to be way too low. Most say, that 22 is the standard, but it varies from car to car. In the summer, you are wearing thinner clothes, so you can set the temperature higher in the summer. I also have a VW ID.3, and it feels too cold in the summer, if I keep it on 22, with a strong blow of cold air coming out the central vents. So I put it on 23 or 24, when it's hot. My XF is normally on 22 all the time. Cars are different.
I totally agree. Cold, dry air guarantees you a cold or sore throat. Raise the temp to 23-24, it's still very comfortable and won't make you sweat.
In Saudi in '91 it was usual for drivers and passengers to develop colds after a drive, we had to give specific orders om temp setting to stop this: the a/c was to blame, and of course 20 deg was lovely and tempting when it soared into the high 40-ies outside.
Cheers
Per

·
Registered
176 Posts
glad to make you smile. so what you set it up to then?
I live in a place where humidity is rarely high, so I'm used to 'feeling dry'. I set the temp at 23.0-23.5C almost year round. The only real problem I face is the rare times that the temperature drops below zero whilst snowing and moving at highway speeds (yes, in some parts of Australia it snows!), when the a/c and heater combined is incapable of preventing condensation on the windows. Very rare event, though.

When the temp gets above 40-45C, the a/c works well, and is quite bearable - though I don't drive in the tropics of Australia in the Jag (last time was a rental 4WD), so excessive humidity AND heat are yet to be encountered. If I were concerned about sore thoughts and dryness, I'd kill the a/c (which removes moisture) for a period of time, but of course this would raise the temperature, too. The old-fashioned solution to that problem is to open the windows...

But generally, it's a personal thing, and until a/c units are capable of reducing temperature without reducing the humidity, we are all in the same boat (or car, or home).

Reactions: Bik3rz
1 - 9 of 9 Posts