XF Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have read many posts about keeping the stop/start battery system topped up and I am going to buy a charger.
I have a 2014 2.2d xf and don`t do a lot of mileage, therefore the stop/start hardly cuts in.
One question I have though is that I read some people saying not to connect directly to the neg terminal on the battery, but use another in the boot.
Can anyone shed some light on this please ? Maybe a foto of how a charger should be connected to the battery. I would hate to cause damage to the system.
I take it the battery that should be charged is the larger of the 2?
checked voltages earlier : larger @ 12.5v smaller 12.99v - is this normal ?
thankyou for your advice / help

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I did it, when I had one of those 2.2 litres diesel XF's. I mounted a permanent CTEK-cable, which I only had to plug my charger into. I just connected it to the plus and minus on the battery. But when my XF went to have its yearly service at an authorised dealer's, they moved the minus connection to a small cable, that goes to earth or ground on the inside of the bodywork right next to the battery. The said, there was a diode or something, that should be part of the charging. I had by-passed it by connecting the cables directly to the battery. I can't say, I could tell any difference, but I used it with no problems for a few years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Muenster,
thanks for replying.
That clears things up thanks.
Will get a charger sorted and use the pos on the main battery and that neg close to it on the boot.
just didnt want to blow anything electrical.
thanks again gwalia

1 - 3 of 3 Posts