XF Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just completed replacing the coupler on the supercharger. It was making a rattling type noise at idle that went away under load. My Jag mechanic said it was the s/c and that will be US$5,000 please. Needless to say I ran away clutching my wallet. I won't go in to all the details because there are far more experienced people here, I will just mention the key points that might help someone DIY.

The majority of my costs ($400) were incurred when I broke unrelated brittle plastic connectors getting the s/c out.
I found that parts from a Range Rover 5L V8 work perfectly for the Jag 5L sometimes at half the price.
After getting all the s/c bolts out actually lifting it off the block was virtually impossible. It was stuck fast. I used a tiny jack screw from Amazon
Anytime Tools Machinist Jack Screw Set 8 pc 1-1/2" - 3-3/4": Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
I placed it under the snout of the s/c on the pulley just under the snout. I raised it perhaps a quarter inch and the s/c came off without any problem.
Getting it back on was equally difficult - you need guide pins to align the s/c the gasket and the block - US$70 each and you need four of them - OR you can make your own - these are just 50mmx M8x 1.25 headless bolts - cut their heads off - these also made getting the s/c lid back on much easier.
I broke the small plastic connector from the water pump to the big coolant hose and Jaguar has changed the design so you have to buy a new upper hose and route things a bit differently.
I wanted to change the oil in the s/c and getting at the drain/fill plug at the back of the s/c was a huge PIA. In the end the original oil was pristine - not sure why it was in such good condition - car has done 75K.

Finally I used a solid coupler ($25) to replace the original - there is much debate about the pros and cons of a solid coupler - on mine the original had scored the s/c drive shaft really badly and strictly speaking I should have had it replaced - but its all back together and whisper quiet except for a slight s/c whistle that I had not noticed before.

My best advice - take a lot of pictures - go slowly - try not to break plastic bits - replace unrelated parts that are only accessible while the s/c is out.
James

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to add the link where I found the tip about making your own guide pins...

That link is also absolutely the best description I have found on how to get the s/c out

·
Registered
2009 XF 2.7 Azure Blue Metallic
105 Posts
Hi James, good account and info. My brother recently had work done on his XKR supercharger. Luckily the pipe you described was ready to go.. (y)
Just for info:
Powerhouse in Chesterfield offer repairs and upgrades, as well as being very friendly and very knowledgeable if anyone has issues with their Superchargers... ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts