XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again - I am considering ordering an XF and given the extras I want, the Portfolio seems the best choice. However, it comes with 20" wheels - --I really value a comfortable ride and wondered if anyone has experienced cars with different wheel sizes to evaluate the effect the rim sizes have on ride comfort?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Portfolio comes with a 19' wheel option as well. I say choose the wheel that you like the most. I ran 19s on my Audi with nary a problem. I do not believe that 20s will pose much of a problem to "good" drivers!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I was concerned about having to put up with a harsher ride when I traded in my 2.7 PL with 18" Cygnus wheels for a 3.0 with 20" Serenas. I was pleasantly surprised when I took delivery of the new car as the difference is imperceptible, despite the poor condition of our neglected roads.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Freudian slip Peter. Serene ride on 20" Selenas :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
20 inch wheels - a good idea, no problem with ride. Go for the fantastic looking Sentas - they are not too difficult to clean.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Now I'm wishing I had chosen to upgrade the alloys.
Oh well, at least it can be done at a later date.

James.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your comments (others welcome). I can't find a demo car with 20" wheels so this is very useful. I really fancy the Portfolio spec but the roads in South Yorkshire are shocking (coal mining history and incompetent councils). I could not cope with another uncomfortable car after my last purchase, a bmw 525 m sport touring

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 3.0DS with 20in Sentas and the ride/handling balance is terrific.

Have just spent three weeks in rural SW France and thought what is all the discussion about 20in wheels on the XF about? Never a moments problem, quiet, fantastic grip on the OE Dunlops. On the Autoroutes just stunning, massive speeding fines parried by the excellent cruise control.

On the return to rural Kent, where the roads are two generations behind rural France, there are still no problems with the XF 20in wheels. Yes they transmit the truely grim surface quality, but ride evenly over the pot holes and myriad trenches and just appaling surface repairs. They ride better than the other cars we have in the family not fitted with exotic wheels. (When we have some of the highest motoring taxes in Europe why do we accept the contempt for the motorist displayed by this shambles of a government?)

So in a nutshell and in my opinion, for what it is worth, they are not a problem and better than most. Clarkson got his appraisal of the 20in ride spectacularly wrong.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
taffie999 said:
Thank you all for your comments (others welcome). I can't find a demo car with 20" wheels so this is very useful. I really fancy the Portfolio spec but the roads in South Yorkshire are shocking (coal mining history and incompetent councils). I could not cope with another uncomfortable car after my last purchase, a bmw 525 m sport touring
I would definitely advise you to try the 20" wheels. Most owners seem delighted with the ride, but I think it is very much down to the individual. Make sure you are happy before you commit.

I was very conscious of ride quality when looking for my XF and test drove all wheel sizes. I couldn't find an appreciable difference between 18" and 19" wheels, but noticed a pronounced difference as soon as I set off on 20" wheels. The ride seemed more harsh, as though the surface of the road was being transmitted through the whole body of the car. Clearly pekem, penultimateblack and Foxtrot have much more experience than my short test drive so it could be just down to our personal impressions or requirements from a car.

I decided to go for 19" wheels and was very complimentary about them initially. However, having just returned from holiday in Yorkshire and spending much of the time on rough single-track roads, I must admit to being slightly shaken. The ride is firm but good on well surfaced roads, but rather jittery on rough ones; the car seems to shudder along rather than glide. I am beginning to wonder whether to experiment with 18" wheels as ride quality is more important to me than style (though I admit to drooling over 20" Selenas).
I may be going over the top, as the car does have firm suspension which will always affect ride quality, but I would be very grateful to hear if anyone else has had any doubts about their ride quality and are willing to own up to it :?:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As the responses to my query from members varied so much, I contacted Jaguar customer services. I received a response from a very helpful chap and have posted it below. I've shared this because this is a consideration for others not only in terms of their choice of wheel size but also whether to specify the Portfolio model over the PL, as 20" are standard on the Portfolio. Regardless of this response, I do expect some compromise with the 20" wheels, although I can't wait for the damn thing to arrive in November.Anyhoo, thought the information might be useful:

From 2009 Model Year to 2010 Model Year in the XF we have changed a selection on alloy wheels and the suspension springs both front and rear. Some previous alloy wheels were a 2 piece construction supplied by BBS which were found to channel road noise to the interior cabin along with reports that these can cause of slight discomfort when driven for long periods of time over poor road conditions.
The New 2010 Model Year wheels are one piece and have been tested to overcome the issues mentioned above. The front and rear springs have been upgraded under Vehicle Dynamic Tuning, to improve the overall ride of the Jaguar XF accompanied by the two new engines. The XF range has won many international awards and has been subject to great reviews and real life tests, we believe that with these adjustments are only improving the high quality drive provided by the XF.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
taffie999 very interesting; I suspect that for some, it will beg more questions.
I don't know what I have on my Portfolio, Selenas yes, but that is as much as I know about their construction and so on.
What I do know is that I have no concerns about ride comfort or undue noise. I just love how quiet the car is when compared with my 08 PL :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts