XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
be carefull out there.
i have done this 3 times now, put my specs :shock: down on the center consule and then opened the swing lid of the 2 cup cupholder, the specs then dissapear down into the space the lid goes into, and its a right laugh getting them back, i know 3 times, but it happens in a jif. I wonder if you can remove the lid - i will ask the dealer.
in the meantime, i know, stop putting them down - just be carefull - it could easily be something valuble and not so easy to fish out. :)

·
Administrator
433 Posts
Good tip.

Does that mean it's going to be a dirt magnet as well and tough to clean?

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
I use the compartment as my case for glasses. I did miss the inbuilt case that is in the S Type. It is now habitual for me to simply press the button and store or recover glasses and it works as well for me now as the S Type case

·
Registered
618 Posts
v6arj said:
be carefull out there.
i have done this 3 times now, put my specs :shock: down on the center consule and then opened the swing lid of the 2 cup cupholder, the specs then dissapear down into the space the lid goes into, and its a right laugh getting them back, i know 3 times, but it happens in a jif. I wonder if you can remove the lid - i will ask the dealer.
in the meantime, i know, stop putting them down - just be carefull - it could easily be something valuble and not so easy to fish out. :)

I dont understand what you mean? if i flick open my twin cup holder the "gap" between where the lid goes and the edge of the container is millimetres. Certainly not big enough for anything other than a coin to fall into. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Why not remove the plastic double cup lining? I don't need mine but have not yet mastered the removal method shown in the handbook!

·
Registered
374 Posts
^ It's very hard to remove. I tried it and scratched up the sides of the compartment quite badly but it did eventually come out. Underneath it is a rubber tray that the cupholders sit on. This rubber tray is easily removable but you wouldn't want to do that because underneath it are some bare wires and other XF internals!

So, I put the whole lot back and scratched up the interior of the compartment even more. It's very difficult to put back too.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Roma,
I have to say that you have been very unlucky. After reading your post I decided to have a go with mine. Keep in mind that I only use the compartment for storage of my glasses and so I was highly motivated to to get rid of the cup holders. Normally technical operations and I rarely work out well. Worrying all the time I pinched the sides of the cupholder together and with the other hand pulled one end up and out it came! So for me it was really easy and without any difficulty at all. I have now dropped the cupholder insert in to the spare wheel well and there it can stay untill somebody like Jethro Gibbs or Abbey from NCIS need a ride! :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i removed my double cup insert the second day i had the car, I dont need 3 holders. i find the hole left very usefull, i to use glasses to drive and i had put then down on the top of the closed double holder length ways and opened the lid, my glasses slipped down into the narrow void between the opened lid and the console, you can hardly see this when its fully open but when its opening its a monster, it ate my glasses, my son was about who had small fingers and was able to retrieve them with no fuss. this is no big deal, just something to be aware about. I have had the car for a few months now and already i cant remember whats in the armrest cubby hole, this thing is huge, somewhere to put the kitchen sink perhaps when going on holiday !!! :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sensitive to this because I lost a credit card in my XJ, sat it on the pop-up for the ashtray, and opened it to grab some change, and boom, it was gone, deep under the center console.

In general, I just avoid setting things on top of doors that open like that at all, since that happened.

·
Registered
11 Posts
To share my experience of the hungry cup holder, this cause me some severe embarrassment. Usually I put the key fob in the armrest storage or a jacket pocket, however, on one occasion I placed it in the 2 cupholder storage. On arriving at my destination, taking three passengers to a seminar with lots of people to witness my problem, I found the cupholder lid was jammed and wouldn't open. The keyfob had somehow fallen down the side of the cupholder insert and was preventing the lid from opening. After much time trying to free the keyfob I gave up and called Jaguar Assistance. I had to leave the car in a hotel car park unlocked and ready to go at the push of a button - void insurance, £40k at risk!! Fortunately, when the the Jaguar Assistance person attended he quickly retrieved the fob - more embarrassment considering the amount of time I had spent, maybe I was being more gentle!

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Hi Tazjag welcome to the forum :)
If you don't use the cup holders it is possible to simply remove them. I have done this and now I have a useful storage area for bits and pieces.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yup the old hungry lid had me too a while back, whilst queing up to enter work, I put my ID card "safetly" along the edge of the lid for easy access, just as we got to the security guard my wife decided she needed her glasses and "PIFF, PAFF, POOF!" my card had gone, I removed the cup holders and found that the card was sitting perfectly upright behind the opened lid, on closing the lid it still sat perfectly upright so I couldnt reach it. To the best of my knowledge it's still safetly there!
Also, as per my other thread, dont put coins in the little cubby area where the electronic handbrake is, it may allow wuick access for coins when going through toll booths, but when you pull up and apply the brake, the coins slide under it and boy is that a right laugh!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I removed the lid for the single cup holder to gain access to a fuel receipt and now I cant get it back together !! Anyone know how to hold the springs in place long enough to refit the dam thing?

·
Registered
102 Posts
gla.ssfs said:
I removed the lid for the single cup holder to gain access to a fuel receipt and now I cant get it back together !! Anyone know how to hold the springs in place long enough to refit the dam thing?
You will probably have to take the embarassment and take it to the dealer. Perhaps you could argue that the screw must have come loose and it fell to pieces

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having wrestled the cup holder out to gain some storage space, i removed the rubber mat beneath which is an electrical connector ? anyone know what it is / for ? perhaps I could fit a cup warmer :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
535 2 XFs said:
Having wrestled the cup holder out to gain some storage space, i removed the rubber mat beneath which is an electrical connector ? anyone know what it is / for ? perhaps I could fit a cup warmer :)
I think it is for the cigarette lighter option that replaces the dual cup holder.

·
Registered
288 Posts
O.K., I've read about all these mishaps and had a good chuckle - only a complete idiot could 'lose' bits and pieces to a cup holder, right? Well, in that case, I'm a complete idiot too (not an invitation to comment folks).

I had already removed the double cup holder, after a bit of a struggle it came out cleanly I'm pleased to say. The space left behind was just right for my sunglasses case, wrapped in a duster I also keep in the car (stops the hard case rattling, you see).

I got in the car this morning and placed my mobile phone on top of the glasses case, shut the lid O.K. and drove to work. On arrival, I went to retrieve my phone and the lid would open only part way. The phone had fallen down the gap from the inside, while the lid was closed. Now the lid would open only far enough for me to see the problem but not far enough for me to get at the phone. :oops:

Fortunately, I work in an office. I was able to fashion a couple of hooks from oversize paper clips (they're about 3 inches long, but three or four times that when opened out) and eventually retrieved the phone. :idea: The design of my paper clip hooks works well and needless to say I've kept them handy for future use. As for the Jaguar designers, I'm less than impressed. It's not as though cup holders are new, advanced, state of the art technology.

In any event, be careful out there - those cup holders are just waiting to get you...! ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts