XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had the chance to pitch the original v6 against the fastest 3.0 and see how close it is possible to get to the quoted times. We did six runs in each car and measured speed and time using professional equipment.

The best time to 62 in the 2.7 was 8.8s which was achieved using a racing start :eek: poor, really poor

The best time to 62 in the 3.0 was 6.5s which again was achieved with a racing start.

Both were completed in fully auto sport mode with traction control off

·
Registered
570 Posts
What do you mean by a "racing start"? :oops: 'scuse my ignorance....

and did you turn DSC off? ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Dave, traction completely off.

A racing start.....

left foot on the brake
gearbox into sport
right foot round to the red line
quick off the brake
hold on

·
Registered
570 Posts
Bet that would make an interesting MPG pic for the forum!

doesn't that screw up the auto box?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will if you do it all the time as it would overheat and thats why cars designed specifically for fast starts have launch control.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I thought the quoted 0-60 times were just that, 0-60 rather than 0-62, which, depending on gear changes can make a lot of difference.
I think my car is 0-60mph in 6.7s, but I guess 0-62 would be over 7s

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah you see that is how Jaguar make their cars appear faster than they really are. The industry standard now is 0-62 as that is 100kph. The problem that Jaguar have is that due to the gearing that extra 2mph actually takes quite some time and a 0-60 time of 5.9 official for the S looks better than an official 6.4 to 62.

·
Registered
5 Posts
0 -62 or 0 -60 well another Euro confusion. it's a Brit car so 0 - 100 kph is a nonsense, you'll be telling me I can only hit my seven iron 130 metres next :evil:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi,

Are 0 - 60/62 times at all relevant (these days)...surely in gear acceleration (also far less strain on transmission) 30 - 50, 50 - 70 etc. reflects 'real life' driving i.e. is torque more important than BHP (although I know they are not independent).

Generally in a 'race' it's who gets on the throttle first 'wins'.

·
Vendor
561 Posts
Doing the performance testing on our car (using a performance box and a flat runway) it was pretty apparent the standard car wouldn't have got anywhere near the official claimed figures. Technique was plenty of revs whilst holding on the brakes then timing the brake release and throttle push together to get the best getaway. Couldn't be done every time.

Best figures were:

0-60 mph 7.2 secs (standard Jaguar claim 7.7 secs)
0-100 kph 7.4 secs (standard Jaguar claim 8.2 secs)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am in no way an expert in this field, but I have noticed that the car feels as though it is accelerating quicker in D than S - I thought it might be something to do with diesel engines having most of the torque lower down on the rev range, and in S it's 'all rev, no go.' Or maybe it's just me. :lol: So I invite the owner of diesel XF's to try it out. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts