XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Whilst enjoying the XF I have to say I’m still a little disappointed with the performance of the 2.7 and the muted exhaust note. I appreciate that it’s very refined and whilst cruising on the motorway it’s very quiet. But when pushed it’s still very quiet.
Has anyone had any experience or heard of a performance exhaust system or tune map for it, to liven it up a bit?

Cheers

Ross

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Ross, I have sold my XKR but I am still a member of the XKEC who have a good working relationship with Paramount Performance
I asked about remapping the XF and this was the reply.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding upgrades for the Jaguar XF 2.7 D.

We can supply an ECU remap for the vehicle. Using our equipment and software we download the existing data from the ECU via the diagnostics port inside the cabin and examine the data for any spikes or flat spots in the maps. We then use the original data as a base to create our bespoke performance version, leaving manufacturer data and parameters in place and therefore making the upgrade more difficult to trace. Once the performance version has been created it is then uploaded to the ECU.

We cannot make any guarantees that the upgrade cannot be traced as the right person would know what to look for in a tuned vehicle. However, the majority of main dealers do not have that sort of technical expertise available so the chances of the upgrade being discovered are quite slim. In all the time we have been installing this upgrade we have had no reports of main dealers discovering them.

Once installed, the upgrade will provide an additional 35bhp and 60nm of torque. This will transform the way the vehicle drives with the extra figures available throughout the rev range. The upgrade can also provide a fuel saving of 2-4mpg depending on driving style. The additional power and torque allows the driver to move up through the gears quicker and also hold the gears for longer on the drags, stopping the need to downshift to maintain cruising speed. This results in more time being spent in the more fuel efficient lower rev range.

The cost of the upgrade is £699 plus VAT.

The process takes around an hour to complete and includes before and after rolling road runs to provide increase figures. You are welcome to view the process and wait in our customer area with TV and Wi-Fi.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do fancy the Paramount tune, has anyone ever used it before and had problem with servicing or the tune being found by the manufacturer?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The reply I got from Paramount suggests No.

We cannot make any guarantees that the upgrade cannot be traced as the right person would know what to look for in a tuned vehicle. However, the majority of main dealers do not have that sort of technical expertise available so the chances of the upgrade being discovered are quite slim. In all the time we have been installing this upgrade we have had no reports of main dealers discovering them.

I know that the XK8'/XKR owners who have dealt with Paramount have been very happy with their service.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You folks got a reply from Paramount. I emailed them last month and not a cheep heard.

I want to upgrade my 3.0 V6 petrol's ECU. Sorry for the off-topic.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you want to remap it another good option and word renowned is DMS automotive. Southampton based and tuners of such exotica as Ferraris and Porsches also do a map for the XF which gives out 250bhp for around £800. They are very hard to detect and if they inadvertently get wiped when the dealer does any upgrades at servicing a reinstall is free.

You will also hear people talk about somewhere called Dragon performance that do a clip on chip but they have recently gone bust.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know we all make our own choices on this, but if having this kind of work done invalidates the insurance, this could be more - far more - than sorting out who pays for minor accident damage, couldn't it?

Apart from anything else, I would have thought that carrying out work that invalidates the cover would make it illegal.

Fine if your insurer OKs it, but otherwise..........

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Steamdreamer said:
I know we all make our own choices on this, but if having this kind of work done invalidates the insurance, this could be more - far more - than sorting out who pays for minor accident damage, couldn't it?

Apart from anything else, I would have thought that carrying out work that invalidates the cover would make it illegal.

Fine if your insurer OKs it, but otherwise..........
Jaguar say: "Performance upgrades have not been validated and they will seriously affect the correct operation of the DVP system resulting in the invalidation of the warranty" :cry:

·
Registered
100 Posts
has there been any further progress on this?

Anyone gone through with the paramount remap?
I spoke to them the other day and they were really friendly and helpful.
I'll shortly have run my XF in enough to be able to go for the remap but was wondering if anyone had got their's done and if anyone else had any view on the warranty status?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I can never really understand why there is a market for such upgrades - surely after the millions of pounds spent by Jaguar (and all manufacturers) on testing and development, they have devised the optimum 'mapping' for an engines ECU (unless they are taking to market a detuned version of the same engine for marketing purposes, which isn't the case with the 2.7) to balance performance, economy and reliability. If the chips can deliver more torque and better economy, why aren't they standard? I'm happy for other members of the forum to educate me and am not seeking to be contraversial!

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
mickyabel said:
has there been any further progress on this?

Anyone gone through with the paramount remap?
I spoke to them the other day and they were really friendly and helpful.
I'll shortly have run my XF in enough to be able to go for the remap but was wondering if anyone had got their's done and if anyone else had any view on the warranty status?
You will have our new Sponsor after you in no time :)

http://www.spires-st.com/

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a look at the Spires site and their upgrade is developed in conjunction with DMS. The Spires upgrade is £977, yet the DMS upgrade to forum members is don’t at their office works out at £685!.
Has anyone had or tested a XF with a remap yet?

·
Vendor
561 Posts
Hi there,

As Pekem says we are about to Sponsor the forum, one of the outcomes of this will be discounts for forum members, including the 2.7D re-map.

The pricing structure we are going to put in place is a 10% discount to forum members for us to travel to you to apply the map anywhere in the UK and a 25% discount if you travel to DMS in Southampton to have the map applied there. Normal terms and conditions apply in all cases including reflash guarantee.

Full retail: £850 + VAT = £977.50
10% discount: £765 + VAT = £879.75
25% discount: £637.50 + VAT = £733.12

With this type of re-map the headline figures never tell the full story so the map concentrates on driveability, particularly for part throttle, and helping the XF with it's sluggish low rev performance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
sounds fab!
Appreciate that this hasn't been finalised yet but do you have an approx timescales when this will be in place?

I drive past southampton on my way home :D

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thats good to know Spires.
If the figures don't come out good enough for P/Xing my 2.7 then tuning is the other option.
How long would you need the car for? Could incorporate it with the other half doing a shopping spree in West Quays :roll:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts