XF Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read in the What Diesel magazine that Jaguar are due to launch a 2.2ltr XF, although not until 2011. Does anyone know more about this.

·
Registered
425 Posts
shabazmo said:
I just read in the What Diesel magazine that Jaguar are due to launch a 2.2ltr XF, although not until 2011. Does anyone know more about this.
:x Why do they have to go and ruin it. They have a nice range that suits the car, a four-cylinder diesel is not what this car is supposed to be about, I'm just praying it isn't that whining Mondeo engine. Excuse my stubborness but I really think it'll be awful, after all, you can't polish a ****.. :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the bad news then , but if you are interested they are also putting the 6cyl 3.0 diesel in the XK.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My guess is that they may use a V6 2.2ltr engine in an all aluminium body. As silly as it sounds it would probably shift at some speed. To put a four cylinder in a car that weighs in at almost 2 ton would be a big mistake in my opinion.

·
Registered
425 Posts
jagworker said:
My guess is that they may use a V6 2.2ltr engine in an all aluminium body. As silly as it sounds it would probably shift at some speed. To put a four cylinder in a car that weighs in at almost 2 ton would be a big mistake in my opinion.
I presumed they would be using the Ford engine from the X-Type. :oops:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With a 4 cyl diesel and an aluminium body, it will weigh a lot less than the current 6 cyl diesel. Sounds god news re fuel consumption and emissions.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I thought the aluminium body wasn't coming until about 2013, otherwise I might have waited until 2011 for my XF, as I think the lighter body will make this superb car unbeatable.

I had the 2.2 engine in my X-type. It was really rather good, though not quite powerful enough and much noisier than the 3.0 in my XF.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raregrin, What was the fuel consumption on your 2.2 x type versus the 3 ltr XF. I assume they were both automatic.

I have not ordered an XF yet but its high on my list to do in the next 12 months

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hello Shabazmo,

Sorry my X-type was manual. It returned an average of 38mpg. My XF is still very new (900 miles) and is currently returning 33mpg and whilst I am old school and running it in relatively gently (though I know it doesn't really need it) I expect it will get better as my X-type did after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
618 Posts
They are currently designing a new 2.2 engine which will appear in the next XF. It is not the X-type 2.2 as that was a Ford design

·
Registered
204 Posts
raregrin said:
I had the 2.2 engine in my X-type. It was really rather good, though not quite powerful enough and much noisier than the 3.0 in my XF.
Agree, I'm not sure why people have a downer on the 2.2 "Puma" Duratorq, from my recent test-drive experiences it is on a par in the X-Type application with any of the current crop of 4-cylinder common-rail diesels (BMW, VW group), and is significantly more refined than the M-B C220CDI. And in the Mondeo, it has now been replaced by the Ford/PSA DW12. However I can't see the point of putting it in the XF - but then I can't see the point of the BMW 520d or M-B E220CDI but you still see plenty of them around.

·
Registered
425 Posts
mbrock said:
raregrin said:
Agree, I'm not sure why people have a downer on the 2.2 "Puma" Duratorq, from my recent test-drive experiences it is on a par in the X-Type application with any of the current crop of 4-cylinder common-rail diesels (BMW, VW group), and is significantly more refined than the M-B C220CDI. And in the Mondeo, it has now been replaced by the Ford/PSA DW12. However I can't see the point of putting it in the XF - but then I can't see the point of the BMW 520d or M-B E220CDI but you still see plenty of them around.
Have you heard the thing from the outside though? :eek:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
In defence of the engine, I must say that whilst I am not as technically aware as Mark, when I bought my X-type I did compare it to all the rivals available; principally the BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and Saab 9-3. I thought it was the quietest of the lot. The Saab was a close run thing, but I didn't like the plastic dashboard. Agreed the 2.2 engine was a bit clattery when cold, but it was quite acceptable when warm. I wouldn't put it in an XF, but the XF is in a rather different class.

·
Registered
425 Posts
raregrin said:
In defence of the engine, I must say that whilst I am not as technically aware as Mark, when I bought my X-type I did compare it to all the rivals available; principally the BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and Saab 9-3. I thought it was the quietest of the lot. The Saab was a close run thing, but I didn't like the plastic dashboard. Agreed the 2.2 engine was a bit clattery when cold, but it was quite acceptable when warm. I wouldn't put it in an XF, but the XF is in a rather different class.
The new VW/Audi 2.0 TDI CR 170 is pretty impressive, much smoother than the older PD model.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Was told some interesting things about the new XF 2.2L, it will probably come 2011, one year before the new model which has been signed off but won't be alloy this time round as the salesman said it would delay the release by 2 more years.

Also the X-type is being dropped with no replacement within the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
204 Posts
xfphillips said:
The new VW/Audi 2.0 TDI CR 170 is pretty impressive, much smoother than the older PD model.
I agree - had the XF been totally outside my grasp, I would probably be waiting for a Passat CC or Skoda Superb at this moment. But an A4 with that engine specced up to (nearly) match the XF and you are getting very close to the same money. Even the VW is over £30k with leather, DSG and satnav!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wonder if this is then engine that could go in the rumored 2 smaller coupe, the Audi tt has a 2.0d.......

Not sure what this would be like in an XF, a tad underpowered and heading back to the xtype so called mass Market appeal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts