XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello XF forum... what a great place for tips/advice!!
After 6 years and two Saab 93's, due to change Autumn 09... I have taken the plunge and gone for the XF... it's really the only car on the road that turns my head, and after a full day test drive in a 3.0 diesel s, there was no turning back....

I love my Saab 93... great lines, 1.9TDi, 140mph and c.45 mpg, with a Hirsch chip upgrade, full leather, front heated etc and Bose... but I've had two, and felt it was time to drive something new.

The diesel S was just a price leap too far, so I have gone for the "basic"(!!!) model but have added 320 sound system (the demo had this and it is absolutely superb; I love my music in the car, B&W would have been the cream, but for a manufacturer's own system, I have to say the 320 was just outstanding soundwise...better than the bose system I have in the saab); Also added the Winter comfort pack and the visibility pack (useful for those frosty mornings in Scotland!); Burr walnut and Pearl Grey/dove.

Taken it on a 3 year contract hire lease (not through Jag Finance)

Told it will be around 12 weeks so roll on mid October....
Cheers

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
Welcome to the forum Saltire :)
Congratulations, I am sure that you will be delighted that you have finally made the change. Interesting to read your remarks about the sound system in relation to the Bose; that will surely surprise a few.
Now the long wait begins and in the meantime you can work through all of the earlier posts starting, where you are now on the Roll of Honour, here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=707&p=5335#p5335

·
Registered
162 Posts
No surprise to hear that the sound system is better than the Bose in another marque. I have a 350z with a Bose unit, which like most Bose automotive audio systems is not actually manufactured by Bose, but rather made by Clarion under license from Bose.

I can confirm first hand that Bose audio systems in cars sound nothing like the Bose equipment you can buy for the home. Nothing at all like them.

Congratulations on your order, now you will be in the same boat as a number of us, counting the days until she arrives!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's interesting to hear that Bose don't actually make their in-car system! I mean, it is extremely good, but when I heard the 320 system on the xf, I actually though the demo must have been fitted with the B&W, the sound was fantastic (it wasn't, dealer assured me).

So... who makes the xf 320 system?? anyone know?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info on the audio! Obviously I can't compare the 320 unit to the B&W... I just felt c£1500 for the B&W was a huge chunk of dosh, having heard th emore modestly priced 320 upgrade!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Saltire said:
Thanks for all the info on the audio! Obviously I can't compare the 320 unit to the B&W... I just felt c£1500 for the B&W was a huge chunk of dosh, having heard th emore modestly priced 320 upgrade!
I have heard both systems and playing an IPOD or CD's through the B&W with the right settings is awesome. Also the B&W upgrade doesn't cost as much as you think, the cost of the upgrade is around £1,100 but you also get DAB and the Portable Audio Interface (PAI) for that which on their own cost around £600 and you also keep the six CD player (which is swapped for a single CD player if you spec the PAI on its own). So the actual cost for uprated Kevlar speakers, an extra 120Watts, 2 rear surround speakers, one centre speaker and 2 extra high frequency speakers plus surround sound processing and DSP etc. is effectively around £500 which is fairly reasonable in my book.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have used my budget, so it was just a few quid too far!

But... the PAI... does that mean I can't connect Ipod/mp3 etc unless I have this? Or does the 320 audio upgrade suppost the ipod/mp3 connections? I thought it did.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Saltire, if I didn't already have the B&W system, i'd have gone out and bought it based on your excellent selling job ;)

I don't know about the 320W system, but the B&W required patience before it was "run in" and delivering its full potential. That's not a complaint, it's true of any quality system, and is fully worth the wait!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really? Wasn't intending doing that! I don't have the B&W, I've never heard it so not in a position to encourage folk to buy it!

re PAI.... I take it unless I have that I can only connect MP3/ipod etc through the jack connection?

·
Registered
102 Posts
thatchamcat said:
Saltire, if I didn't already have the B&W system, i'd have gone out and bought it based on your excellent selling job ;)
I think you will find that it was me extolling the vitues of the B&W

Saltire, regarding connecting the IPOD unless you have the PAI you will only be able to connect your IPOD/MP3 via the jack socket and therefore won't be able to use the automatic charging, the touch screen to navigate the folders or use the mix function.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The 6 disc changer is mp3 compatible though, so with say 6 800mb cds and songs at 4mb each, you will still be able to have 1200 songs to hand.

They may just take a little more navigating than with the ipod connection.

Its all personal requirements when it comes to the audio. For the time I spend in the car each day on a regular basis (30 mins to work and 30 mins home) then I wouldnt see the benefit of a B & W.

If however you regularly do long journeys, a quality audio system may make those journeys more pleasurable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts