XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was astonished to receive a phone call from a National Jaguar Dealership soliciting service work.
I was asked if I wanted to arrange for the fitting of a set of new rear brake pads because mine had been identified as being 70% worn at the time of a 15000 mile Service a month or so ago.
Is this exemplary customer service or a determined effort to garner Service work when times are hard :?:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Mine is due for it's first service next month, I will see how desperate they are for work when I try to negotiate a deal on the service ;)

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
philayl said:
Mine is due for it's first service next month, I will see how desperate they are for work when I try to negotiate a deal on the service ;)
Well the same dealer charged me £280 when my first service was carried out so you can use that as a benchmark :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
philayl said:
Rang local Jaguar dealer today to ask how much for the first service on my 2.7D XF, he quoted £446, but would do it as a special offer for £380 :shock: . So rang the dealer I bought it from, he quoted £338, all quotes incude parts and VAT. Will try another dealer tomorrow, these all seem a little on the high side for what is basically an oil and filter change, and a check over. :eek:

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My immediate reaction was that he had misunderstood your requirement, £446 indeed :lol:
Then I thought that he must have misunderstood your requirement :?
Never have we seen a figure like that before :eek: Mine at £280 will be said by some to be a premium rate, I have seen mention of below £200 :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's still an awful lot of money ( & even a lot more profit ), i had mine done a few months ago from the dealer i purchased it from for £180 , that was collected & returned with loan vehicle , cleaned inside & out , left with a litre of engine oil & screenwash.
it strikes me that these guys just pluck a price out of the air & see what response they get from the punter.
i feel we as owners must be brave & prepared to 'walk', should we not get an acceptable price.
there is no shortage of dealers & independants, i'm sure with plenty of slack in their service Depts.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I have three different dealers within 35 miles, Stratstones, Hatfields and Rybrook, as I said I have tried two, will try the third tomorrow. ;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Do not pay more than £180 for a first service at a Jaguar main dealer.My dealer quoted much more when I first enquired and then dropped the price when I informed them that an independant Jaguar dealer would doing the service at £180 so H A Fox matched the price.The only materials used are 6 litres of oil, an oil filter and washer fluid that must have gold in it by the price charged and this service can be done easily in 25 minutes although the official service sheet allows 1.5 hours and this is what the rip off charges are based on.Don't be put off trying for a better price than first quoted as all the main dealer workshops are quiet as many customers are seeking lower hourly rates than charged by them and independants are busy.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Update. Spent an hour on the phone today between the three local dealers, playing them against each other, could not budge the price below £290, and that was with the dealer that started at £446! So it looks as though I will have to take that price or travel out of the area, but time and fuel start coming into it then. I will start looking round at other options long before the next service is due as that is a dearer one anyway, so I dread to think what I will be quoted for that one :shock:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Update
I think that JLR main dealers have taken leave of their senses!
A friend with a 2.7 has just contacted Stratstone in Derby and was quoted £325 for the first service and they then lowered it to £290.Perhaps it is time that forum members contacted JLR customer services and complained about this absurd situation with their dealers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would always prefer to get the job done by a Jaguar Dealer if possible but use the competition as a reference to negotiate the price. If you sound knowledgeable when you speak to the dealer they won't try it on regarding warrantee issues.

Regarding hourly rates, the Dealer I purchased mine from charges £110 + VAT - 10% discount, which I thought was silly until I overheard a conversation at Stratstone who were quoting a customer over the phone a cost of £65 + VAT per half hour !!!. Anyone who accepts this without challenge probably deserves to be ripped off.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I too would prefer to get the work done by a Jaguar Agent, but if they persist in charging, what can only be described, as exhorbitant rates, then they will not get my business. I would be interested to know what anyone in ther Merseyside area has been charged by a Jaguar main agent for their XF servicing work. ;)

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think that we would achieve very much doing as hydrajaws suggests lobbying Jaguar for the reason that JLR will simply point out that they have no control on the business plans or labour charges etc of the dealers, as they are all independent businesses.

However, it may well be possible to approach the question of dealer charges by other means.

I do not think that we would be doing anymore that we presently do if we were to report the cost imposed by a dealer of a first service, but in a table that can be seen at a glance.
It is important that the information is accurate and, if required, able to be substantiated.
I propose that we report the Dealer's name and location and the net cost of a first service.
It will also be fair if at the same time it is stated if a loan car was provided or car was collected and returned. Plus, of course if the car was valeted. :)

To report your costs please go here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1388

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Will post on other thread after service is done next month, although I have been given a price and date. ;)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
xfphillips said:
Just out of interest philayl, is your dealership Warrington?
No, I bought it from Stratstones in Manchester, and all warranty and prospective servicing done by Hatfields in Liverpool (for now!) ;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Here Goes then Pekem for your survey.
My first service at 14700 miles done by H A Fox Nottingham the supplying dealer.
£180 including VAT.Pollen filter replaced (not on schedule) and rear pads replaced under warrenty, Courtesy car and my car valeted.
They did match the price quoted by Elite and Performance Jags in Derby as they did not want to loose a customer.
I don't agree with your comment re lobbying JLR on the wide variaton on servicing costs as the Dealers premises, showroom,decor,coffee machines etc etc are all determined by JLR and dealers have to maintain standards, so why can't service prices also be within some guidelines?

·
Registered
100 Posts
philayl said:
I too would prefer to get the work done by a Jaguar Agent, but if they persist in charging, what can only be described, as exhorbitant rates, then they will not get my business. I would be interested to know what anyone in ther Merseyside area has been charged by a Jaguar main agent for their XF servicing work. ;)
Hi philayl, I was charged £311 by hadfields. Not the cheapest quoted on this site, but it is where I purchased the car and I payed for my piece of mind.

Ryebrook quoted me £360 :(

I will continue to get my car serviced by a main dealer until out of warranty, then will review.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Liquidsilver said:
philayl said:
Hi philayl, I was charged £311 by hadfields. Not the cheapest quoted on this site, but it is where I purchased the car and I payed for my piece of mind.

Ryebrook quoted me £360 :(

I will continue to get my car serviced by a main dealer until out of warranty, then will review.
Liquidsilver
It is important that the information is accurate and, if required, able to be substantiated. If so, please post the relevant detail in our survey topic here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1388&p=11578#p11578

1 - 20 of 24 Posts