Air Vents in XF - Page 2
Welcome to the Jaguar XF Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Vents in XF

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Morbius View Post
    Not sure what video you're refering to, but this one may help If you've not aready watched it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viYZ5VRJFao&t=6s
    That's the video I was referring to. It starts with the device already out of the car, and although at the end there are some hints about re-installation it's not enough for me to be confident I can get the thing out without damaging trim, breaking plastic clips etc. I need idiotproof step-by-step instructions!

2011 XF 3.0d S

2. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

I thought the same thing about the video when I repaired one of my vents. I don't have the car now and I can't remember for sure what I did, but I don't recall it being difficult.

I can vaguely remember not having to disturb the door seal when prising the plastic side panel off I think. This bit sticks in my mind because I really didn't like the idea of disturbing the door seals.
    I don't remember how the metalic cover over the vent removes, but looking at that video again, I think it also just prises off.
    I think you're then just left with removing a few screws before lifting out the vent assy. Screws under the metalic vent cover at the bottom, and a screw or two from the side where you remove the large plastic end plate trim.

Post a picture if you get stuck, it might jog my memory.
    Jaguar XJ in Carpathian Gray

I can vaguely remember not having to disturb the door seal when prising the plastic side panel off I think. This bit sticks in my mind because I really didn't like the idea of disturbing the door seals.
    I did in fact get that far, and the seal came off and went back perfectly easily. I perhaps had more confidence than you because a portion of the seal at the top of the driver's door droops a bit and I am used to pressing it back into position, so I know how feebly it grips.

I don't remember how the metalic cover over the vent removes, but looking at that video again, I think it also just prises off.
    That's where I'm stuck. I did try some gentle prising with a plastic tool, but felt I was within an ace of hearing little plastic lugs breaking.

Post a picture if you get stuck, it might jog my memory.
    There might be a slight delay as (i) I had a cataract operation yesterday and (ii) the engine overheated in a traffic jam and I think there's a fault in the fan motor or a temperature sensor (probably the former as the fan is stationary with the engine running and the a/c on).

2011 XF 3.0d S

5. Remove Advertisements
    Jaguar XF Forum
    Advertisements

Looking at the video once more: It deffinitely looks to be only a push-fit and the guy in the vidoe states this too. Here's a screen grab...

2019-07-08_001438.jpg

I can only suggest you apply the same confidence on the vent that you showed with the door seal.

As for your eye and the overheat, I hope they both recover well.

Here's a screen grab...
    Yes, that does appear to be the starting point, not the side panel as I assumed. Thanks!

BTW I still don't understand the role of the screw above the instrument panel as it looks as if the vent just comes out when the four retaining screws are removed. I guess this will become clear when I actually try it.

2011 XF 3.0d S

I recall removing it, but in retrospect, I too can't think what it did.

I recall removing it, but in retrospect, I too can't think what it did.
    It turns out the two screws to the left of the vent are accessible only when the instrument panel fascia is pulled to one side. Now I look more carefully, the video does in fact say so. Anyway I've now got as far as exposing the broken component. Incidentally, I haven't managed to unplug the unit as I don't know how the connector pulls apart, so I'm doing the job in situ rather than risk pulling wires out.

2011 XF 3.0d S

Sorry, I can't help with the connector. Presumably it simply pulls apart, but so many of them have little devices to prevent them working loose. I've no memory of it tho'.
    It sounds like you've almost got it sorted

Repair completed. Here are some instructions for future sufferers:

1. Order part C2Z31321. I got mine from Rimmer Bros, next day by 1st class Royal Mail.
    2. The job will require a T20 screwdriver, a plastic spatula and a small flat-bladed screwdriver. A torch and a mirror might come in handy as well.
    3. Although the screws are all T20 and the same length, there are two slightly different types of head, so best to take care to replace them where they came from.
    4. Pull the rubber door seal away from the side panel. It is held on by friction and will go back readily.
    5. Using a plastic spatula, release the side panel, unhook the two plastic lugs and remove it.
    6. Carefully use the plastic spatula to remove the vent cover. It is held by friction (no clips) and pulls straight off. During removal, by reaching in with the spatula and twisting, it can be released without any angling that night break something.
    7. Lower the steering column.
    8. Inspect the small plastic cover above the instruments and select a small flat-bladed screwdriver that fits in the access slot; prise off the cover.
    9. Underneath the cover is a screw angled for convenient removal. Remove it.
    10. On the bottom left of the vent is the second screw holding on the instrument panel fascia. Remove it, and release the fascia enough to reach the inner two screws that hold the vent assembly in place.
    11. Remove the four screws that hold the assembly onto the car. With a bit of wiggling withdraw the unit. Take care not to strain the cables.
    12. If you can unplug the unit (I couldn't) do so. Otherwise support the unit and withdraw the four screws that hold the front on.
    13. Remove the three screws holding the drive box onto the vent and separate the two.
    14. Prise off the old clutch. I used the plastic spatula but a metal screwdriver is fine as scratches won't be seen.
    15. Study the diagrams below carefully. Make sure the vent is in the correct state (lower picture) and install the replacement clutch in the correct orientation (upper picture). Press the clutch firmly home.
    16. Reattach the drive box to the vent.
    17. Switch on the ignition to check that the repaired unit now works.
    18. The rest of the reassembly is the reverse of the above.

jagav.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2011 XF 3.0d S

I'm glad you got it sorted and thanks for the write-up, it should prove useful.