XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked my new XF a few weeks ago and then almost immediately went on 2,650 mile tour round Europe. Lived the dream I've been having for over 10 years :) Just got back. She performed supremely on the German autobahns making it to 160mph and going strong before I bottled it, she then quietly and serenely glided her way across the Netherlands, Germany, the Austrian/Swiss/Italian Alps, Switzerland and France before returning to blighty. More on the tour in a separate post, just wanted to upload a couple of pics having just washed her - she seriously needed it!

Oh, and Peter? The RoadAngel performed supremely, particularly in France where I am quite confident it protected my license admirably ;-)

David.

·
Registered
63 Posts
tictag said:
Picked my new XF a few weeks ago and then almost immediately went on 2,650 mile tour round Europe. Lived the dream I've been having for over 10 years :) Just got back. She performed supremely on the German autobahns making it to 160mph and going strong before I bottled it, she then quietly and serenely glided her way across the Netherlands, Germany, the Austrian/Swiss/Italian Alps, Switzerland and France before returning to blighty. More on the tour in a separate post, just wanted to upload a couple of pics having just washed her - she seriously needed it!

Oh, and Peter? The RoadAngel performed supremely, particularly in France where I am quite confident it protected my license admirably ;-)

David.
Sorry David maybe I'm wrong in saying this, but I don't think I'll be the only one here in saying your a MORON!! Not only have you endangered your life, but many innocent others driving like an idiot on the public highways, with this rush of blood to your head. Take your car to a race track and drive it round their, till you loose control and do damage to the engine or spin off the track and then having the balls to tell the world on an open forum, that you openly drove like this, I think you need your head examined, it does not matter if it was driven on the open roads here or in Europe, your still off your skull, I bet when your car needs engine repairs you don't tell them you were driving at 160MPH plus and still want warranty repairs at Jaguars expense...
Rod :shock:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
As the Xf is electronically limited well below it's maximum top speed, travelling at 160mph should not put a strain on the engine, even a new one, running in is not strictly necessary today (might be prudent, but necessary). Also I suspect that even travelling at this speed on the Autobahns he was frequently overtaken, and if you feel confident at this speed, and the roads are designed for it, then the safety aspect is not as severe as you predict. Although I would not do it, I can't condemn anyone who does, and I personally feel that you are being a bit harsh. ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sorry David maybe I'm wrong in saying this, but I don't think I'll be the only one here in saying your a MORON!! Not only have you endangered your life, but many innocent others driving like an idiot on the public highways, with this rush of blood to your head. Take your car to a race track and drive it round their, till you loose control and do damage to the engine or spin off the track and then having the balls to tell the world on an open forum, that you openly drove like this, I think you need your head examined, it does not matter if it was driven on the open roads here or in Europe, your still off your skull, I bet when your car needs engine repairs you don't tell them you were driving at 160MPH plus and still want warranty repairs at Jaguars expense...
Rod :shock:[/quote]

Get a life man!! Yes, 160 is a bit toppy ;) but my guess is that most of us would love the opportunity of giving it some 'wellie' on the Autobahn. I know I would and particularly in a car that is capable of these speeds (albeit supposedly limited to 155!)

Top man Dave, and I look forward to reading more and seeing the pics of your trip.
Andy

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
RodM
You are free to express an opinion here but not in a manner that is offensive or provocative.
I would be glad if you would edit your post, making your point, in a manner that is more in the spirit of the happy friendly forum that we are :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
A Jaguar is meant to be driven! :) I'm sure he's not the only one who's bombed down the autobahn. Jaguar wouldn't make fast cars if they didn't want them to be driven fast, when appropriate. This is the whole idea of getting shot of the 'old man' image, driving around in top gear at 20.
And as for the danger, yes there's a risk, but there's nothing wrong with having a bit of fun, eh?

·
Registered
251 Posts
tictag said:
She performed supremely on the German autobahns making it to 160mph and going strong before I bottled it,
Glad to hear you found a bit of Autobahn with no speed limit and no lorries and caravans overtaking each other. There are certainly not many of those left.

Perhaps the current state of economics has meant less congested roads in Germany?

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Pleased to read David that the Road Angel served you well; I can imagine that there would have been a number of occasions when its very presence paid for itself :)
Out of interest was the speed of 160 mph the number reported by Road Angel :?:
Of course, Top Gear made mention recently of the fact that a test car, an XF R, was not limited and so it seems, the XF S also :eek:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I wish my car could go as fast as your's David. The speed limiter in the left hand seat cuts in at 130 mph on suitable stretches of the autobahn. :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
RodM said:
Rod :shock:
Get a grip Rod!
At what point does David say he was driving like an idiot? Have you ever driven in Germany before? Do you know what an Autobahn is?
Take it from someone that lives there and does his morning commute EVERY weekday on a de-restricted autobahn. Believe you me, I don't exaggerate here when I say the average speed of traffic is around 110mph! All legal, all above board and for the past 2 years that I've been doing it, I've seen 1 accident on there, which funnily enough happened when there was a 50 limit for roadworks!
As for not telling Jaguar that you did 160mph warranty wise, where in the user manual does it say do not go faster than a certain speed or your warranty is invalidated? Or was that a verbal warning given at the point of sale? Because I never got one!

Sorry to bite at this comment folks, but this is just the tip of the PC brigade,
SPEED = DANGEROUS DRIVING :roll: I'm surprised you haven't had a go at David for using the Road Angel too, to avoid getting caught whilst racing through country villages and school zones.

Well, when I get my S in September, I shall be taking it to the absolute limit and see what I can get from her :p :lol:
Not that it'll be anywhere near the ZX10R mind 186mph :shock: Now that was an arse clenching run!

Toodlepip for now.
Your Autobahn driving member Benn.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RodM> I can tell you that I actually drove from the very North to the very South of Germany in one day limiting my speed to around 100mph until I found a safe stretch to open her out. Believe me when I say I was overtaken many times. The stretch I did find was straight, went on for miles and had one car off in the distance. Then and only then did I open her out. Additionally, I always honoured the restricted areas e.g. 120kph and, in response to you, I feel that my driving was legal, considerate and, in my opinion, safe.

For all, the reason I bottled it was because she literally flew through 155mph without so much as a wink on her way past! It actually shocked me because I was expecting some kind of forced limitation. No such thing! Not sure if this was because it’s the ‘S’ variant or because I had my foot to the floor – didn’t Jeremy Clarkson say something about this on the XFR road test?

In terms of the ‘running in period’ I did ask this at the dealer and they said that the engine had already been ‘run in’ on the testbed. I did however, take it easy for the first 1000 miles through UK, the Netherlands and most of Germany before I actually opened her out.

Pekem> The speed was per the speedo. I’d actually set the Road Angel to kph because I didn’t want to mess up during the restricted zones. I did find that the speedo was over-reading by about 5% so I suppose my actual speed was 152mph. Maybe this is why she didn’t restrict me???

Although, I did enjoy pushing her I actually mostly enjoyed the ‘glide’ across Europe and the Alps. After driving from Amsterdam in the Netherlands to Wertach on the Germany/Austrian border I arrived relaxed and invigorated. You don’t get that with just any car.

David.

·
Vendor
561 Posts
I suspect that the speedo is over-reading as you have calculated. Had this in a BMW before on the speed limiter where the speedo read 167mph but the GPS said 155mph exactly. I suspect the same thing happened to the top gear car but that would not have made good telly...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm curious, how did you find the steering at this speed, did it fill you with confidence or was it a scary experience?

·
Registered
216 Posts
good work :) sounds like a great holiday. i'm looking forward to the kids getting old enough to allow a driving holiday in Europe :)

disappointed at RodM's response. no laws were broken. speed doesn't necessarily equal recklessness. and as for keeping it to a track, trackdays aren't about top-end, they're about testing the handling of the car. i've never come close to maxing a car on track. on a long straight stretch of deserted (private ;) ) road however......

re. the road-angel - on your dash it looks like you've got some additions to it which i'm assuming are radar/laser detecty things - aren't they still illegal in France :?: few years ago the gendarmerie went through a spate of pulling folk when they saw them on the dash and handing out fines as well as confiscating the equipment. if i'm wrong the cool beans but it's something to be wary of :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
David,
I too have just returned from a driving trip across Europe.
Unfortunately when I drove across Germany, a lot of my route was littered with roadworks. When had I the opportunity, I took mine to 145mph.
The car felt so stable it felt surreal. Certainly capable of more than I was willing to handle.
I can attest to the comments here. I was passed at that speed by two 911's and one Audi that made one hell of a noise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts