XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I've had my XF for 5 days now and I made a trip to the dealer this morning to arrange for the rear offside brake disc to be replaced.

I noted that after approx 140 miles (at it's 1st wash) that the disc was severely scored. Obviously something was wrong with the assembly and it has been eating into the disc.

Apparently this is a known issue and they've ordered new components up today.

I do hope this is not the first signs of regular trips to the dealer?? :roll:

I had an Audi A6 prior to the XF and I only visited the dealer once (after 2 years) to get a minor problem fixed; so I'm used to owning a highly-reliable car.

Perhaps you should all have a look at your discs in case you've got the same issue and not spotted it!

Cheers
Kenny

·
Registered
374 Posts
That sucks. All my discs are badly scored too! I'm going to have a good look at them next weekend. My previous car had mirror-like discs.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Interesting, I had a problem with a sticking rear brake which could be be related as my discs are grooved are too. The rears are much worse than the fronts.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=117

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, my car is going in tomorrow for 2 new rear discs +(probably) pads.

I'll try and find out if this is a common issue, and what the problem is caused by.

Cheers
Kenny.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have been back to the dealer twice in the last couple of weeks with problems relating to the back discs, they were squeaking all of the time and getting extreamly hot, the dealer made excuses/reasons for this, the squeaking continues and is getting louder and more of a continuous noise. i am also noticing that the offside rear wheel always has more brake dust on then any of the others, this is not normal. I will now go back to the dealer for the third time on this issue but armed with more intell. I will keep you posted. I must add that everything else on the car is perfect and i am enjoying it. my milage is now 4500. :shock:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys

I've just had my two rear discs replaced, as one of them was so severely grooved that would have made it fail an MOT (not too good for a car driven less than 900 miles).

I asked the garage to advise on what the problem was and I was advised it was "some debris between the pad and the discs, probably stones". Now I personally do not think that that was the full and frank reason for the issue. Stones would have been crushed to death long before they could cause the level of damage shown on my disc.

Interesting; I wonder what the real story is?? :roll:

Cheers
Kenny

·
Registered
30 Posts
After reading this topic, I stuck my finger through my alloys and found my rear discs are fairly badly scored. I reported it to my dealer and they 'are going to tell jaguar and get someone from there to look at them'.
The performance has not been affected, but once there was a very 'hot' smell

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep, me too. Car is 3 day old and I just checked my discs; my offside rear has a deep score it in and I have only covered 600 miles. Surely something must be amiss with the braking system. I may send this link to Jag customer services and see what reponse they have regarding this issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
dont know if related, i had a warning for the handbrake not released come on, then the handbrake light wouldnt go off after pulling away from lights, and the rear brakes were definately binding. could be that this is the reason for the scoring of the discs. After restarting car both faults went away. also area around hand brake the switch gets hot

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The dealer sorted out my rear offside squeaking brake problem by cleaning and lubricating the pistons in the offside rear wheel caliper. I have just driven to SE Bavaria when everything was OK until the squeak returned on the homeward journey, 1000 miles after it was fixed. I had to squeak across France and Germany, turning heads for all the wrong reasons! The dealer is taking the car in on Tuesday and I expect him to replace the caliper AND change both rear discs which are badly scored compared to the fronts. Apart from brake problem I have serious issues with the sat nav logic which kept trying to divert us through towns passed on Autoroutes/dual carriage ways and major roads. I will give more detail on this soon. The car was superb and returned 37.9 mpg over 1900 miles of high speed cruising and a week of short local runs in Germany. It has used no oil in the 3200 miles it has covered since new.

The grooves on the rear discs are visible in these photos.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As I have already posted, my discs are scored and I have already taken the car back to the dealer for inspection and was told by the salesman that he would inform Jaguar and get back to me.
As he did not do so I called the dealer asked for the salesman and was told he had left the company. The Sales Manager knew nothing of my complaint and of the issues of brake discs mentioned in this forum.
He referred the matter to his Service Manager, who also was unaware of the issue but took it up with Jaguar. They have come back saying they are aware of it but any dealer who has replaced the disc has done so under their own initiative and it is not Jaguars policy to do They say they are monitoring the situation but 'as the performance is not affected' there is no need to replace the discs.
I have told the Service Manager I am unhappy . At that point he referred me to Jaguar Customer Services and gave me a telephone number.

·
Registered
319 Posts
After reading the post by Scottie 99 21st may Re a 'very hot smell'. i had the following experience some weeks ago... i had driven on a clear dual carriageway for approx 3 miles & then parked up. as i got out of the car & walked round the rear i noticed a heat sensation & a strong smell of burning.
i felt the discs , the rear were slightly hotter than the front.
later that day i took the car into my local dealer & was given the explanation ... prior to carbon Etc getting to the exhaust silencer it is collected in a seperate container & when it becomes full , it is incinerated by means of a small quantity of fuel being injected into it.( to keep down the emissions)
this is normally meant to occur whilst the vehicle is on a 'long run' & so not noticable. i had just parked the vehicle after such a run & by coincidence the container was full & had just been incinerated.
could this have been the cause of scottie's experience ??.

·
Registered
374 Posts
^ It _could_ be an explanation for a burning smell after a long run. The handbook talks about the DPL burning off the collected soot on a long run.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is my (old) rear disc. You can see that the grooves were deep! (ignore the rust - the wheels were just washed - but it does show the grooves up nicely).

Cheers
Kenny

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Here's one of my (ex) rear discs without the rust so it doesn't look as bad as it does in the flesh.

·
Registered
204 Posts
:( after 6 visits to my dealer, and being in the workshop for 5 whole days this time. both rear calipers have been replaced and the original ones shipped up to Jaguar for examination, that was 1 month ago and no explanation has been given and i dont think that i will ever get one. i ahve now had to insist that both of the raer discs and pads are also replace because thay are badly scored, Jaguar had to get involved and they have now agreed but this means that it will have to go in yet again. and guess what, on a trip to france last week the squeaking from the rear offside wheel started again, this is exactly what happened after 300 miles in now at 7000 miles and 2 new calipers its started again, or is it just my imagination, i bet thats what the dealer thinks.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
v6arj said:
after 6 visits to my dealer, and being in the workshop for 5 whole days this time. both rear calipers have been replaced and the original ones shipped up to Jaguar for examination, that was 1 month ago and no explanation has been given and i dont think that i will ever get one. i ahve now had to insist that both of the raer discs and pads are also replace because thay are badly scored, Jaguar had to get involved and they have now agreed but this means that it will have to go in yet again. and guess what, on a trip to france last week the squeaking from the rear offside wheel started again, this is exactly what happened after 300 miles in now at 7000 miles and 2 new calipers its started again, or is it just my imagination, i bet thats what the dealer thinks.
Have you actually spoken or written to Jaguar expressing your view, you may be surprised by the answer you get :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Update on scored rear discs.

I was worried the replacement rear discs were going the same way as the original set when several scores appeared soon after they were fitted last May. However, after six months and 4000 miles the surfaces are now smooth and glass like. I wonder whether the originals would have smoothed off over a similar length of time/mileage.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts