XF Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Have had XF for 1 month/1100 miles with no real problems at all.

Only minor niggles are that speedo/rev counter needles 'wobble' i.e. not rock steady...is there a software fix? and minor wind noise (front windows @ 70 mph) if there's a strong cross wind. Also with B&W if you change source to USB (via source button on steering wheel) it doesn't play as it's in 'pause' mode ..however on audio screen a quick push on ipod button then back to USB (via screen) sorts this.

Average mpg to date is around 32 mpg (but for first 1K miles I kept changing down to vary rpm) but have got best of 38 (70 mph cruise) and worst of 29 (paradoxically on return trip from best mpg via Blackwall tunnel and a stack of traffic!).

Brake dust slightly more dense on front wheels than rear but no worse than previous ML and have only had to clean them twice (gave them a 'good' MER when I got car).

Much prefer c.control of ML as Jag system doesn't positively slow car to set speed and 'wheel' is a bit fiddly.

Surprisingly one of my best options has been (standard) cooled seats but why does switching them on goes directly to high (3 squares freezes your butt!) so you then have to turn them down (1 square) I don't know..should be other way round i.e. low to high...is it same for heated seats as I've never checked?

In retrospect I wish I'd ordered the blind spot monitor as it can sometimes be difficult to 'view' your blind spot. Also, given the relatively marginal function of (standard) TPMS (not much better than a set of pressure sensitive valve caps (£12) except these get nicked by the local kids for their bikes!) I think the (blind spot monitor) rather than TPMS (unless it actually recorded individual tyre pressures) should be standard on Portfolio.

As as been mentioned before the auto mpg/and range functions are a bit 'odd'. Auto Mpg function sometimes (appears to) start from 0 mpg and work up and other times seem to hold on to previous value (so initial 'high' mpg). Range function seems to only decrease so it's not extrapolated from real time mpg as on ML which often showed an increase in range i.e. if 4 galls in tank then @ 25 mpg gives range of 100miles but @ 30 mpg gives range of 120 miles.

So overall I am a (more than) satisfied first time Jag owner....so I will have to get myself a deer stalker and learn to smoke a pipe!....yuck!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
DieterXF said:
So overall I am a (more than) satisfied first time Jag owner....so I will have to get myself a deer stalker and learn to smoke a pipe!....yuck!
Don't forget the slippers! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I wonder if the needle "wobble" is actually just down to the resolution of the stepper motors which undoubtedly drive the pointers - certainly on my X-Type you can see the pointers changing in discrete steps if you look closely, but it's not obvious in normal use.

Presumably the new XJ/Range Rover instruments don't have this characteristic!

Mark

·
Registered
102 Posts
mbrock said:
I wonder if the needle "wobble" is actually just down to the resolution of the stepper motors which undoubtedly drive the pointers - certainly on my X-Type you can see the pointers changing in discrete steps if you look closely, but it's not obvious in normal use.

Presumably the new XJ/Range Rover instruments don't have this characteristic!

Mark
Unless they have programmed it in to look like a 'real' needle, similar to the way they have a 'teleprinter' type look to the football scores on 'final score'.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe the speed is recorded digitally (needed for all the trip computers, ASL etc, as well as perhaps the gearbox) and is then used to drive the needle in 7 bit steps - 128 steps in total (2^7), which would give about ~1mph jumps, rather than a continuous change? Just a thought?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I see the wobble too, and they wobble even if you're doing a constant speed, and seem to be related to bumps in the road, so I'd say loose mechanism or something perhaps?

However I've read somewhere else that someone had theirs fixed at the dealer, but not sure what was done :(

Keith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts